March Meerschaum Madness - Let the Madness Begin!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Depending on the shape of the face they can appear just above the brow and sometimes directly on it but usually line up with the infraorbital and mental foramen. That pipe is only one of a couple that I've seen feature all three.
I have had to find those holes and the nerves on more than 1 occasion in living patients. First time I saw it was on a cadaver.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hearth and Home - Black House
I know that, but it was originally manufactured by Sutliff and now STG. Was just wondering if the blend changed when it changed hands. When Sutliff had it, their Balkan Sobranie Match 759 was the same blend. Wondering if it's different now.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Sutliff or STG production?
Hearth and Home - Black House
I know that, but it was originally manufactured by Sutliff but now STG. Was just wondering if the blend changed when it changed hands. When Sutliff had it, their Balkan Sobranie Match 759 was the same blend. Wondering if it's different now.
Haha... my bad. LOL
I don't know when it switched hands, so I can't say. What I'm currently smoking is from 2018. I just know it was distributed by 'Pipes and Cigars.' I'm going to guess it's the Sutliff version, but again not positive.

Reactions: Chasing Embers
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Kentucky Bird for work today.

View attachment 212858
Now that is a fancy pipe!

I have been casually searching for a mermaid meer with some disappointment in the quality of carving. The faces can look downright scary rather than pleasant, and the body especially the breasts can be so strange or overly endowed to look obscene. The woman on this pipe is pretty good.

I am sure that with time I will find the perfect pipe at a reasonable price, so I am not worried.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Now that is a fancy pipe!

I have been casually searching for a mermaid meer with some disappointment in the quality of carving. The faces can look downright scary rather than pleasant, and the body especially the breasts can be so strange or overly endowed to look obscene. The woman on this pipe is pretty good.

I am sure that with time I will find the perfect pipe at a reasonable price, so I am not worried.
I've been looking for a nude pipe as well, but you are correct. All the carvings are definitely lacking in quality. Either the face, head/hair, hands, body or just everything doesn't look right or was not carved well. Here is one that I found a short while back that looks pretty good.

It was carved by Cevher it's the best one I've seen as of late.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I got distracted and thought this thread was about basketball. So I was going to comment that all of the North Carolina teams are out of the running this year, so I never watched any of it. But oops. We're on Meerschaums here. Carry on.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I got distracted and thought this thread was about basketball. So I was going to comment that all of the North Carolina teams are out of the running this year, so I never watched any of it. But oops. We're on Meerschaums here. Carry on.
An understandable mistake. We would’ve all played along had you made a comment about the basketball.

Reactions: mso489

starrynight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2023
So, since we talked cake, and I'm a new Meer man (Mere man?, mereman!?), I wanted to ask: do I need to be worried too much about ghosting? I've only put two blends through it (CRF and Luxury Navy Flake), and those smokes have been like no other (and no, it's not in my head!), so, I'm a little weary of adding anything else in. I'll just sit and sip on this pipe for hours without the bowl even being lit.

No latakia blends, but, I am wondering about burley particularly HH Burley flake. I'd like to avoid having a virginia/burley-darkfired/latakie dedicated meer, but, perhaps that's what needs to happen?

Reactions: MinnesotaNice

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
So, since we talked cake, and I'm a new Meer man (Mere man?, mereman!?), I wanted to ask: do I need to be worried too much about ghosting? I've only put two blends through it (CRF and Luxury Navy Flake), and those smokes have been like no other (and no, it's not in my head!), so, I'm a little weary of adding anything else in. I'll just sit and sip on this pipe for hours without the bowl even being lit.

No latakia blends, but, I am wondering about burley particularly HH Burley flake. I'd like to avoid having a virginia/burley-darkfired/latakie dedicated meer, but, perhaps that's what needs to happen?
To my palate, there’s not enough dark fired in HH burley flake to worry about ghosting. Old dark fired or bold Kentucky and you’d have a problem. You should be good with that one but I would avoid Latakia blends in that pipe, as you said. Just my two cents of course.