March Meerschaum Madness - Let the Madness Begin!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
The time has come for March Meerschaum Madness. As we've reached the eve of this month-long event.

For those unaware of this, the idea is for those that have one or two meerschaum pipes in their collection, and rarely smoke them, to pull them off the rack and enjoy them. It's an opportunity to explore what a meerschaum pipe can really offer to the pipe smoker.

For those of us that smoke meerschaum pipes regularly and have multiple pipes in your collection, the idea is to smoke those few meerschaum pipes that never really make it into your regular rotation. It's a good way to explore a neglected pipe and see what it can offer you and possibly make its way into the rotation.

For those that don't own a meerschaum pipe it's an opportunity to maybe venture into buying one and exploring a new style of pipe and see what it can offer you.

I went from only having 1 meerschaum to building up my collection to 23. I've got pipes from a variety of makers and companies, and in all different styles. The problem I have is that with so many meerschaums it's hard to smoke them all, and there are several that rarely get smoked. This makes it hard to color them, but I'm working on it.

Post pics of your pipes and your experiences here and enjoy those Meerschaums!!!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
It's definitely great to see so many people enjoying a meerschaum pipe these days. It's also good to see people buying their first meerschaum pipe. Back when I really got into them (6 years ago) it seemed like people maybe had one or two but rarely smoked them. These days I have to force myself to grab one of my briar pipes from time to time, because I basically just smoke my meerschaums and I feel bad for neglecting my briars and cobs.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I only have a couple of meerschaum pipes as I don't like carved or figural pipes much. I did find this little unusual meer at SPC a couple of months ago. It's a small pipe which is fine, but I was drawn to the coloration on the bowl. I don't know what their process is but I thought is was cool. It'll be interesting to see how it colors, or even if it does.

1DC71D1D-DFCE-4B64-AFEA-96E88F812087_1_201_a.jpeg

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
After smoking cigars primarily, the last year and a half, and neglecting my pipes, my meers have lost some of their coloring. Going to be working on that this month and going forward. From looking at the pictures you can see which ones I smoke regularly and which ones that hardly get smoked. There are a handful that are newer to my collection, and I haven't smoked them much (i.e. the 3 lattice pipes). Plus I have a few that I've never smoked. They're more collectibles and conversation pieces.

Pic. 1 (L-R)
1962 Adana Turkey Bent Egg (my Lee Van Cleef Pipe), Strambach Bent Billiard, Meerschaum Market Bent Apple, H. Cor Hawkbill, Peterson Sherlock Holmes Deer Stalker, Peterson Bent Billiard, Muhsin Bent Apple, Strambach Straight Billiard, S. Yanik Straight Apple, Pioneer African Meerschaum Straight Billiard, Thompson African Meerschaum Straight Billiard, CAO Lattice Billiard (with swapable yellow and black stems), Altinay Lattice Billiard with Silver rim and band, SMS Lattice Bulldog, and a tamper.
20230301_130245.jpg20230301_125405.jpg
Pic. 2 (L-R)
Unknown Bacchus Figural, Tekin Lion & Claw, CAO Egg & Claw, Unknown Sultan Figural, Tekin Dragon Bent Apple, Pioneer Gord Calabash, CAO Sherlock Holmes Figural, I. Baglan Old Man Smoking A Pipe Figural, GBD Cavalier Figural with additional stem insert.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State

Very nice collection! Those are some great looking pipes. Is the skull a S. Yanik pipe? I'm guessing the pirate came calcinated (brown already), but if not that's impressive work. Looks like you put in a lot of work on the smaller egg and claw and the lattice dublin. Nicely done.