PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Just had a thought, when I lived in the sticks I couldn't see the neighbors and now I can. Now I can see tnem coming and then I couldn't.

It was a known fact we had meth labs down the road. People taking drugs need cash. Waiting until you are away is a way is problematic. I saw the rural community evolve downward over the years.

I remember telling the agent showing the house to never let a potential buyer turn right at the end of the driveway.

I had to deal with stray dog and cats. Some were aggressive. People who didn't want their pets just let them out and drove off.

Once had a person come down my driveway. I met him and asked what he wanted. He said he had heard of a free TV. I asked had he seen the three no tresspassing signs and said "we both know you're not looking for a TV". Yes he got upset, but he left. I suppose a 1/3 mile driveway is too enticing. ...LOL!!

At my last house, I had a neighbor who just tried to damned hard. I never really had a problem with him, but one day a tree fell on my garden, it was still raining hard, and before I could get my boots on, he was out there in his boxers (and that was all) with a chainsaw and a bottle of Jack Daniels. He was quite a bit older than me also. I had to convince him that I wanted that tree in my tomatoes, to get him off my property before I had to file on my homeowners for him getting hurt on my property. Plus, what a weird thing to see, ha ha.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
At my last house, I had a neighbor who just tried to damned hard. I never really had a problem with him, but one day a tree fell on my garden, it was still raining hard, and before I could get my boots on, he was out there in his boxers (and that was all) with a chainsaw and a bottle of Jack Daniels. He was quite a bit older than me also. I had to convince him that I wanted that tree in my tomatoes, to get him off my property before I had to file on my homeowners for him getting hurt on my property. Plus, what a weird thing to see, ha ha.
So, the neighbors showed up after a wind storm the night before saying a tree from my property had fallen on his car. I walked about a quarter mile back up the driveway and saw the damage.

When I got back I filed a claim. The insurance company asked for photos which showed the tree with a root ball. In a couple of days the adjuster came and told the neighbors it was "an act of God" and there would be no compensation. The adjuster said they would be able to file their insurance to which the neighbor said they carried neither home owners or car insurance.

Insurance companies become theologians pretty quickly when it means getting out of paying a claim.
Yeh, it wasn't the roof falling in on that guy that killed him. It was the lack of a heartbeat that really did him in, soooo... obviously The Almighty killed him. puffy
Or, it wasn't that sheet of glass falling on that guy that killed him, it was a severe loss of blood...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The goal here is to wait out the inevitable eviction (from the sounds of it) without spending any time in court yourself. Hope the landlord, his lawyer, and the sheriff take care of the problem, and it sounds like it won't be long.

Reactions: BROBS and newbroom

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The goal here is to wait out the inevitable eviction (from the sounds of it) without spending any time in court yourself. Hope the landlord, his lawyer, and the sheriff take care of the problem, and it sounds like it won't be long.
Evictions are not so simple these days...at least in some places:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've lived in a condo complex in the midst of complexes that surround a gold course. The complex I live in is not an over 55 community, and accepts renters. I've seen 'em come and go.
I recently had new neighbors move in next door. I find lots more trash in the parking lot these days, and I've picked up loose trash near the dumpster that was casually tossed toward it, not IN it, including dirty diapers, and leftover casseroles.
Yes, it can be disgusting to live with people who lack consideration.
I expect that these neighbors will not be able to maintain the ridiculous rent that I know their owner charges.
I will say something when I catch em red handed, maybe. People usually just react negatively when reprimanded.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
As the years have past I have learned to be patient and wait for a good opportunity to address these things. At some point one will always present itself...and the problem will get resolved. One way or another...

Reactions: edger and BROBS

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Had few roommates over the school years. Most of 'em, I got along with fine. Any issue could be talked over beer and everyone happy. Had two that I couldn't get along with. One of 'em, I'll save for later. But the other one.. Nice guy and all of my friends got along with him. His only problem was using other people's properties without asking for permission. I can live with that. But no one touches my knives. Kitchen knife especially. My kitchen knife, chef's knife, was carbon steel. He used it, left it in the sink wet, and I found it with rust. Invited him to my room with only one can of beer for me. Told him next time he uses my knife without asking, he should wipe it clean. They might think it was suicide. He never touched my knives again.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Speaking of eviction, real vandals can chop a house to pieces in days, weeks at the most. A beautiful old home place where I remember extended family Thanksgivings was finally rented to a young family -- the dad was a grad student, mom stayed at home with two kids. Seemed so domestic and likely to go well. It didn't. There was a beautiful front parlor with a curved banister that was shortly torn out. And so on. The house would have needed to be rebuilt, and the lot was worth a considerable sum. The renter family was promptly evicted with no resistance, though they had no means to repay the damage. You'd have thought a rock band making meth had occupied the place. If it ain't theirs, it matters not.

Status
Not open for further replies.