PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I had a neighbor who kept to himself which was fine with me. Unfortunately he would let his dog out to run over into my yard, take a crap, and then run back into his house, all while he stood there watching and holding the door open. Apparently he didn’t like his dog’s crap in his own yard.

I got a snow shovel and every day would flip the dogsh*t up onto his light grey roof. It took about a month but he eventually figured it out. His roof was like a Jackson Pollock painting.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
So, the neighbors showed up after a wind storm the night before saying a tree from my property had fallen on his car. I walked about a quarter mile back up the driveway and saw the damage.

When I got back I filed a claim. The insurance company asked for photos which showed the tree with a root ball. In a couple of days the adjuster came and told the neighbors it was "an act of God" and there would be no compensation. The adjuster said they would be able to file their insurance to which the neighbor said they carried neither home owners or car insurance.

Read your policy. In general, the majority of things the insurance policy covers are acts of God Wind, hail, lightning, tornadoes, etc..

Reactions: BROBS and scloyd
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I am not responsible because I could not have prevented.

Having insurance, the policy would have covered my house.

Not true in most cases. What should have happened is the neighbor should have filled the claim with his insurance company who in turn would have subrogated the claim with yours. He didn't have insurance so his only recourse was to file a civil suit against you or your insurance. I don't care one way or the other, just sharing info.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Not true in most cases. What should have happened is the neighbor should have filled the claim with his insurance company who in turn would have subrogated the claim with yours. He didn't have insurance so his only recourse was to file a civil suit against you or your insurance. I don't care one way or the other, just sharing info.
Maybe, maybe not. I am not sure what the civil claim would have been based. It was not negligence. I didn't cut the tree.

And, it is against the law there not to have auto insurance.

It was not negligence.
It doesn't matter whether you did anything or not, or didn't do something. You are responsible for any injury on your property, within reason. We had an instance where someone cut across someone's yard without permission, their car opened up a sink hole (that no one knew about), and the homeowner's insurance had to pay for damages to the vehicle. If they didn't have homeowners, then the owner is responsible to pay out of pocket, and in many instances can lose their property. This is why so many people fence off their properties.
Signs help, but even a million "no trespassing" signs can be argued away with a good attorney.

• Wow
Reactions: macaroni

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
"This is why so many people fence off their properties." Exactly... their ass is on my property...their ass is mine! Got lots of places to hide the body(ies)

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

boatme99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Somewhere in this vast universe

Hoosier, this happened at my house about 3 years ago. I rent, so none of it affected me personally.
A 90'+ tree blew down in a wind storm and luckily fell away from both my and my neighbors houses. I fell and crushed one of his cars.
When I talked to him about it, he told me his homeowners insurance company covered everything. There was nothing to do with my landlord at all.
I'm lucky it fell away from the house, it was right next to my bedroom. I would have been crushed. While that certainly would have made some ex-wives and girlfriends ecstatic, I'm quite happy with which way the wind blew.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have been very lucky - 10 years in our previous home and now 35 years in our current, and nothing but friendly and polite neighbours. Neighbours are friendly but don't visit often.

I'm probably the worst husband on the street. On weekends my wife buzzes around the garden or doing yard work while I sit on the front porch smoking and reading the newspapers. The other wives obviously don't want their husbands calling by and catching what I have ?

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Hoosier, this happened at my house about 3 years ago. I rent, so none of it affected me personally.
A 90'+ tree blew down in a wind storm and luckily fell away from both my and my neighbors houses. I fell and crushed one of his cars.
When I talked to him about it, he told me his homeowners insurance company covered everything. There was nothing to do with my landlord at all.
I'm lucky it fell away from the house, it was right next to my bedroom. I would have been crushed. While that certainly would have made some ex-wives and girlfriends ecstatic, I'm quite happy with which way the wind blew.
Don’t sail that near the shore.

Reactions: boatme99

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I read "lots of traffic in and out" and then "someone from across the street " take a piss between the properties.
So did your neighbor see the person, who specifically lives across the street, pee in your yard? Or is possible that it was one of the "in and out traffic" people who did it?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Looks like this problem may resolve itself in short order. New neighbors have been out on the front lawn the last 2 days screaming and fighting like a live episode of Jerry Springer. I expect this will be a short stay for them...guess whose bringing a lawn chair out for front row seating next time.
My favorite is when you have people acting like that and they tell you it's not your business. I always say well actually once you stopped me from doing what I was in the middle of by being too loud too ignore you made it my business.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
I read "lots of traffic in and out" and then "someone from across the street " take a piss between the properties.
So did your neighbor see the person, who specifically lives across the street, pee in your yard? Or is possible that it was one of the "in and out traffic" people who did it?
It was 1 of the guests leaving.
My favorite is when you have people acting like that and they tell you it's not your business. I always say well actually once you stopped me from doing what I was in the middle of by being too loud too ignore you made it my business.
If I can here it in my place across the street with the doors and windows closed....it is my business,lol

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
To OP:
Have you ever taken a ride in a New York City subway? Piss.... the watching of a feral animal take one, or, smelling the stale results....would be the least of ones problems.

But seriously...those days of mutual respect and civility towards neighbors and others, have long been wiped off the map. Today, by our laws, everything must be tolerated. Today, everything and anything, including challenges, can quickly degenerate into a hostile confrontation. Noise and behavioral ordinances, even if they still exist, are mostly ignored by legal/illegal "citizens" and, police. A truly disgusting, and most base, way to live.

However, I feel your pain. But, I live in NYC. So, any tiny spark -that once brightly glowed within me- of the expectation of civility has been extinguished from my DNA, decades ago.

Hoping your problems come to an end.

Status
Not open for further replies.