PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
You only use the heat emanating from the flame and never touch the cigar directly to it. There's no flickering in the flame so no chance of accidental scorching, only precise toasting where you want it. I hold a cigar 2-3 inches away from a torch when lighting.

Did we just switch to a Dunhill thread?
Ouch. I know I'm a Boot on this forum, but most all, if not all, my Dunhills really do smoke well compared to my younger (new) pipes. I just had some 965 in a 1920 billiard and I swear the flavor was different than when I smoke 965 in any of my other pipes. I have a Bari that I picked up for next to nothing and, I must admit, it smokes as well as my 1966 CK that wasn't cheap. That's the fun of this "hobby". Surprises (good ones hopefully)...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ouch. I know I'm a Boot on this forum, but most all, if not all, my Dunhills really do smoke well compared to my younger (new) pipes. I just had some 965 in a 1920 billiard and I swear the flavor was different than when I smoke 965 in any of my other pipes. I have a Bari that I picked up for next to nothing and, I must admit, it smokes as well as my 1966 CK that wasn't cheap. That's the fun of this "hobby". Surprises (good ones hopefully)...
I just hate them because out of three, two straight billiards and a zulu, none could pass a pipe cleaner. Really put a damper on their air of quality for me.

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
I've seen cigar smokers torch the hell out of a perfectly good robusto or corona:oops: by putting the torch flame directly on their smoke, and persist in that behavior.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I just hate them because out of three, two straight billiards and a zulu, none could pass a pipe cleaner. Really put a damper on their air of quality for me.
I decided to collect them mostly on reputation, style and the ability to actually date by year as opposed to other pipes. I have almost filled my 1920s decade and I like how the pipes were smaller over all. Besides, I like thinking about the history of a smoked 50-100 year old pipe. I smoke all my pipes so I even like their flaws. A character thing, I guess. I have actually found that I love Sasienis more and my Yello-Boles are nice too.

garageboy

Might Stick Around
Jul 15, 2019
Had too many failed Thunderbird inserts, and piezo soft flame lighters are all terrible

Djeep and clipper all the way or save up for a im corona

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
I have one of the metal Clipper pipe lighters which works well and feels solid. I treated myself to the Peterson version of the Old Boy which also works and looks awesome. But for a good long while I had cheap refillable ones from my local B&M and they worked too. I suck at using matches and always smoke outside so they are out for me!

El Diablo

Lurker
Apr 21, 2020
Hi .... not to hijack the tread ... really good responses so far ... matches and butane boxes.
What about he new "flame-less" lighters ... could they work for lighting pipes ?
They are USB rechargeable, so they do not use fuel ... just a battery ... is anyone using them ?
I do use matches ... but my pipes are really narrow on top ... always afraid to burn the top.
I am thinking to order one from Amazon, but I am curious if any of you pipers as used one.
Cool Lighter.jpg

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
Hi .... not to hijack the tread ... really good responses so far ... matches and butane boxes.
What about he new "flame-less" lighters ... could they work for lighting pipes ?
They are USB rechargeable, so they do not use fuel ... just a battery ... is anyone using them ?
I do use matches ... but my pipes are really narrow on top ... always afraid to burn the top.
I am thinking to order one from Amazon, but I am curious if any of you pipers as used one.

I have another one of those electric arc lighters, it was gifted me and it's useless. Pathetically weak, it can light a candle if you put the wick in the arc but that's about it. I can't see it working with a pipe and to me they seem to be more of a gimmick than a lighting implement.

If you are worried about burning the top of your pipe hold the match or soft flame lighter up a bit from the top of the pipe and light by gently sucking hot air down from the flame, do not light with the flame/fire itself.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Just Bic lighters, simple, cheap, plentiful, dependable.

I have a number of zippos gifted to me over the years and while they are good to look at, and work well, I always seem to lose the extra flint they come with, and then it's a pain in the ass to find another one when they need to be changed, so the zipos just collect dust on a shelf...

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Only really good for cigarettes. You have to place the cigarette between the electrodes to light. Little to no heat emanating from above the arc. Used it briefly then went back to my other lighters for cigarettes.

20191028_040318.jpg

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

TheFall

Might Stick Around
Mar 20, 2020
Alberta, Canada
Only really good for cigarettes. You have to place the cigarette between the electrodes to light. Little to no heat emanating from above the arc. Used it briefly then went back to my other lighters for cigarettes.

View attachment 28917
I have one like this as well, but I never use it to light things I am inhaling because I can taste the Ozone from the plasma arch when inhaling. It is also only good at lighting things that easily light and can be put between the posts. These have a place, and that place for me is mostly novelty, lighting newspapers to start the BBQ and laughing when my buddies touch the arch and get shocked

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Actually fished up some of my many unused Zippos, filled them and they all fired up instantly, undeniably a reliable and good lighter. But then I tried to light my pipe and couldn't, the horrible taste of the fuel prevented me from even charring, so back to Bics.

TheFall

Might Stick Around
Mar 20, 2020
Alberta, Canada
Just curious, which lighter fuel l did you use? I have some older ronson fuel that is stated "Lighter Fuel" which is apparently not for use in fuel lighters that you are going to smoke with and it tastes/smells aweful. I have ordered the Zippo fuel in the black canister to try. I hope it is better, it was well over double the price. If not lesson learned, matches and bics I will stick with