PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Corona old boy if you want to spend the money. Excellent lighter with a built-in tamper. I purchased a Dupont before I had kids and didn't know better, a fine lighter as well. A bic works perfectly well, your pipe and tobacco won't taste any different. As much as I love Zippo, you may taste lighter fluid.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
No need to invert, I just hold them sideways with the valve fork pointed away from me and draw the flame into the chamber.

View attachment 25948
See what I mean?

BIC_flamer.jpg

Damn flame is already touching the rim of the pipe. Now, that's my Panzerpfeife, which is impervious to BICs' flames, but my Curvy, Brighams, and cobs haven't proven to be so resilient. Don't give a trout if the cobs get scorched, but not my briars!

Reactions: SpookedPiper

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
See what I mean?

View attachment 25952

Damn flame is already touching the rim of the pipe. Now, that's my Panzerpfeife, which is impervious to BICs' flames, but my Curvy, Brighams, and cobs haven't proven to be so resilient. Don't give a trout if the cobs get scorched, but not my briars!
Ah, see what you are doing now. Hold the lighter with the valve fork pointed away from you.?

20200410_031228.jpg

Reactions: SpookedPiper

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I've never been a smoker... until, at 60, I tried a pipe. Can't imagine what took me so long. Anyway, I'd like recommendations on a lighter, please. Now... I'm learning that, as with all things pipe smoking, "it's a matter of preference," but I really want to know what you use and why you like it.
I use a Zippo Pipe Lighter. They can be purchased for about $15 and are excellent for beginners like me to control the flame size and orientation. This is mostly what my other pipe friends use as well. You can also get the Zippo pipe insert and use in any Zippo lighter case that fits your style. I just have the $15 plain silver case and insert though.

Oct 7, 2016
What BROBS said. Plus the Kabuto, and IM Corona Old Boys. All good.

Matches good, too, but I don't like the smell of sulphur, and esp. Don't like the smell of lighter fluid. So, Zippo only in a gale.
Swan Vestas solve the sulphuric issue. Waiting a couple of seconds (one thousand one, one thousand two’) after striking the Zippo solves the lighter fluid issue.

Reactions: greeneyes

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Swan Vestas solve the sulphuric issue. Waiting a couple of seconds (one thousand one, one thousand two’) after striking the Zippo solves the lighter fluid issue.

Good to know re Vestas, but they are pricey.

While waiting for the lighter fluid smell to dissipate will solve the actual lighting odor, there's still unpleasantness for me in the nose. Mileage varies, of course.

Reactions: oldgeezersmoker

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
K. I'll try that.

I also noticed that when you tip the lighter the flame gets larger! Maybe useful for lighting candles but not pipes.
Just keep the lighter parallel to the floor and don't tip it downward. Bring the flame down with the draw instead of bringing the lighter down to the pipe.

Geoff

Lurker
Apr 4, 2020
Wales
I got a ronson banjo. There is no wind guard in the design and a nice soft flame. Haven't used it out doors yet but don't think it would do well in a breeze