PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Do any of you Zippo fans remember when you filled your Zippo and then put it in your front pocket and then began wondering what was burning the shit out of your leg.

I was around 13 and it wasn't the last time I did it. I have a Zippo with the pipe insert(big surprise I know) and used outside a few times but the flame was unwieldy and didn't have the control of my IM Coronas. I would only use the Zippo in 25mph winds or higher.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Do any of you Zippo fans remember when you filled your Zippo and then put it in your front pocket and then began wondering what was burning the shit out of your leg.

I was around 13 and it wasn't the last time I did it. I have a Zippo with the pipe insert(big surprise I know) and used outside a few times but the flame was unwieldy and didn't have the control of my IM Coronas. I would only use the Zippo in 25mph winds or higher.
Yes, that has only happened to me twice I think. Don't know why it hasn't happened since. I used to have a huge flame on my Zippo (with pipe insert) untill I trimmed the wick.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've heard stories of that but never experienced it. Once I fill and replace the fuel chamber cover, I burn any excess fuel off of the insert before putting it back in the case.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

bogfire

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2019
Dad always swore by matches. After he passed I found lots of empty match books in his car.
I agree with mso489, I find it enhances the ritualistic aspect of pipe smoking. However I too use a Bic in a pinch.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Dad always swore by matches. After he passed I found lots of empty match books in his car.
I agree with mso489, I find it enhances the ritualistic aspect of pipe smoking. However I too use a Bic in a pinch.
Just as an interesting fact, lighters were invented three years before matches.

Reactions: marlinspike

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
Marlin, I totally get that. We all have our things we splurge on ,others that you wouldn't spend more than a buck for. ,

When I was playing golf some guys would smoke a Cohiba and I would smoke my Quintero Brevas at 55 bucks for a bundle of 25. They were a machine made strong Cuban cigar that I didn't mind throwing in fairways or on greens. I would never waste the money tossing a nice Cohiba around.

I have no doubt you will find something more satisfying than a lighter. Maybe a nice pipe, maybe some tobacco, maybe that Mercedes you have your eye on. I hope you enjoy what ever it is that gives you enjoyment. I admit I have a lighter fetish. It started with my first Zippo when I was 13.
Speaking of cigars, what do you think of the Curivari brand, if you've smoked any?

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
Still do. There's even a tool called a spill plane designed to make them from wood. Usually cut from cedar.
Yup. Back when homes were lit by gas, a respectable parlor would have a gas mantel with a burner for lighting spills, particularly cedar ones. Some cigar smokers are purists who insist on using cedar spills instead of matches or butane lighters.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yup. Back when homes were lit by gas, a respectable parlor would have a gas mantel with a burner for lighting spills, particularly cedar ones. Some cigar smokers are purists who insist on using cedar spills instead of matches or butane lighters.
Purists? Or fuddy-duddy types? Either way, whatever buoys one's vessel.

Also, I have not fully understood the need for really high BTU torch lighters for cigars. Is it some type of compensation for a small unit?

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
Purists? Or fuddy-duddy types? Either way, whatever buoys one's vessel.

Also, I have not fully understood the need for really high BTU torch lighters for cigars. Is it some type of compensation for a small unit?
A lit cedar spill smells pretty good - but yes, why scorch good tobacco with a miniature blowtorch?

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
lighter-e1571486888662.jpg

The $100 Pipe Lighter that Actually Works – I don’t know about you, but every time a new pipe lighter hits the market I buy one. They all work great for about ten minutes, then the fuel tank starts to leak, the flame goes into hibernation, the striker and the flint don’t get along, the finish wears off, etc, etc, etc. I’ve got a drawer full of those sucker punching things! Would somebody please invent a lighter that is as faithful as the family dog?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I think the appeal of torch lighters is that they're wind-proof. Now, Zippos are wind-proof too but lighting a cigar with a Zippo is considered a cardinal sin among cigarists.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I also have never understood why you need a torch lighter for a cigar either.
You only use the heat emanating from the flame and never touch the cigar directly to it. There's no flickering in the flame so no chance of accidental scorching, only precise toasting where you want it. I hold a cigar 2-3 inches away from a torch when lighting.

so eager to burn up something you just over paid for..

Did we just switch to a Dunhill thread?