PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Bob Kuehner

Lurker
Apr 8, 2020
I've never been a smoker... until, at 60, I tried a pipe. Can't imagine what took me so long. Anyway, I'd like recommendations on a lighter, please. Now... I'm learning that, as with all things pipe smoking, "it's a matter of preference," but I really want to know what you use and why you like it.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Its also a matter of how much you want to spend. I prefer the flame be angled so, that leaves out the Bic for me. I use an Il Corona Old Boy lighter in the house or at the tobacconist. A Zippo with the pipe chimney for the car. I have also found Lotus to make a good lighter for about half or more less than the Old Boy.
I find how you fill a butane lighter is at least as important as the lighter when it comes to working well.

Mike S.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm devoted to matches as a light for my pipes. They have perhaps the softest available flame and are easy to control. They enhance the ritual aspect of pipe smoking, and eliminate the slightly mechanical aspect of lighters. I have a lighter that I treasure for other reasons, but I'm stuck on matches as the means for lighting a pipe. I like the feel and sound of the match against the box. I still manage to darken the brim on a pipe or five, but probably do less damage with a match.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I almost exclusively use a Zippo with a pipe insert. 15 bucks, and it gives me a relatively easy to control windproof flame. I'll use a bic when I can't find my Zippo, but I find the Zippo is much better suited for the task than a bic. This might go without saying, but you do not want to use a butane torch lighter designed for lighting cigars, as you'll scorch your pipe. You want a soft flame.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Kiribi.

BICs have charred the rims of quite a few of my pipes. I only use them in extreme circumstances. Once upon a time they used to have a flame regulator, but nowadays they don't and their flame is the size of a flamethrower.

Yes, I know there are guys like the Cap'n who have magic hands and superhuman reflexes and can completely invert the lighter and not get burned. I'm not one of them. A man has to know his limitations: ergo, I avoid BICs.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Kiribi.

BICs have charred the rims of quite a few of my pipes. I only use them in extreme circumstances. Once upon a time they used to have a flame regulator, but nowadays they don't and their flame is the size of a flamethrower.

Yes, I know there are guys like the Cap'n who have magic hands and superhuman reflexes and can completely invert the lighter and not get burned. I'm not one of them. A man has to know his limitations: ergo, I avoid BICs.
I agree the flame can get way out of hand. Some are fine. Others have like 2 inch flame.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
Regular Zippo and then I swap out the insert with a Thunderbird butane pipe chimney insert. I like butane over Zippo fuel.
Butane angled lighters or Swan matches.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Disposable Linse. My B&M charges $1.50 each. YMMV
1572040223155-png.6079

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
With stay at home order, might have to start using Kiribi. I'm running out of butane in current bic and only have one more left. But have a can of butane sitting around. Or I could go Zippo.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yes, I know there are guys like the Cap'n who have magic hands and superhuman reflexes and can completely invert the lighter and not get burned.
No need to invert, I just hold them sideways with the valve fork pointed away from me and draw the flame into the chamber.

20200409_231853.jpg

The flames on my BICs and Old Boy are the same height.

20200409_231712.jpg

Reactions: SpookedPiper