PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I smoke outside a lot. No problem with butane lighters, under about 10-12 knots of wind. (And that's a pretty stiff wind, at least for a golfer.)

There are techniques you need, though.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My favorite lighter is the IM Corona Pipemaster with the Old Boy my second favorite.
I have a feeling that the Pipemasters may be getting discontinued as they are harder to find now. I may have a tad of a problem as I currently own 5 Pipemasters and 2 Old Boys.

I have each style of Pipemasters with 2 being the pewter with the pipe shapes. I misplaced it once so I had to buy it again and then found the original.
Why I like the Pipemaster over the Old Boy. The fuel tank is bigger on the Master and the tamper is longer on the Master which can be helpful. I actually just bought my last one which was the solid black because I saw it on sale and it completed the set

In all of my years of owning them, there has not been one time that it didn't perform as it should. I think I bought my first one around 6 years ago. I also have my first Old Boy which is around 20 years old. I also like not having to deal with flints.
If anyone thinks there is something wrong with me, you are correct.

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
I have a Tsubota Pearl (who I believe make the Kiribis for Smokingpipes), and a Sillem's Old Boy. I prefer the Old Boy and think it's a quality piece of kit.
I don't smoke outside though, if I did I'd probably have a Zippo.
I’d never actually seen a price list for their Old Boy models until just now. For that tariff, I’d want the lighter to light my pipe without my intervention, and then deliver a glass of Tullamore Dew to me right after!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I’d never actually seen a price list for their Old Boy models until just now. For that tariff, I’d want the lighter to light my pipe without my intervention, and then deliver a glass of Tullamore Dew to me right after!

Marlin, I forgot the most important feature, happy endings after each light, now what is it worth.

Jun 9, 2018
England

Fair enough, they are comparatively expensive but they are also very well made and often last for many years.

You could say the same thing about pipes. One can be a few pounds while another is thousands but they basically do the same job.
Depends on your means as well. My Sillem's was quite an expensive purchase for me but hopefully it'll last me many years. It's also beautiful to look at and has a tactile, weighty feel in the hand.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Bingo

Marlin, I forgot the most important feature, happy endings after each light, now what is it worth.
At 14 I would have been all for it, at 15 I would have told it I had a headache.

Fair enough, they are comparatively expensive but they are also very well made and often last for many years.

You could say the same thing about pipes. One can be a few pounds while another is thousands but they basically do the same job.
Depends on your means as well. My Sillem's was quite an expensive purchase for me but hopefully it'll last me many years. It's also beautiful to look at and has a tactile, weighty feel in the hand.
When younger I thought the same way, but now a flame is just a flame. Just as just a few years ago I thought nothing of paying up to a grand for a pipe but now I can't bring myself to justify paying that much for a piece of wood. I suppose it's about personal price versus value. Now I'm all about expensive puzzles.?

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW

You’re right, of course, and there have been times when I kicked myself for an expensive pipe purchase when I know that I would enjoy the smoke as much from a cheap MM cob as from a choice meerschaum or briar.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Marlin, in all seriousness go with IM Corona, either old boy or pipemaster. I have owned Vector,Zikar, Colibri, Lotus, and others I can't remember the names of. None of the others were worth a shit, they all broke and trying to get them fixed was a pain. I once bought a 50 dollar Lotus that looked cool. 4 months later it died. I brought it back to my b/m where I bought it. He sent it in. It comes back still broken. He gives me a new one out of hi s stock, that one lasted 2 months. He gave me a 50 dollar credit towards my first Pipemaster.
Spend the hundred for a Pipemaster or Old Boy and enjoy a lighter you don't worry about.

I also have a collection of Dupont lighters from my cigar days and my IM Coronas have been just as reliable and some of those Duponts were 600 plus.
I just got this one in a couple of weeks ago. Less than a hundred is a good deal.

Forgot ti ad that the longer tamper of the pipemaster can be handy along with larger fuel tank.

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
Marlin, in all seriousness go with IM Corona, either old boy or pipemaster. I have owned Vector,Zikar, Colibri, Lotus, and others I can't remember the names of. None of the others were worth a shit, they all broke and trying to get them fixed was a pain. I once bought a 50 dollar Lotus that looked cool. 4 months later it died. I brought it back to my b/m where I bought it. He sent it in. It comes back still broken. He gives me a new one out of hi s stock, that one lasted 2 months. He gave me a 50 dollar credit towards my first Pipemaster.
Spend the hundred for a Pipemaster or Old Boy and enjoy a lighter you don't worry about.

I also have a collection of Dupont lighters from my cigar days and my IM Coronas have been just as reliable and some of those Duponts were 600 plus.
I just got this one in a couple of weeks ago. Less than a hundred is a good deal.

Forgot ti ad that the longer tamper of the pipemaster can be handy along with larger fuel tank.
I don't doubt that the IM is a good lighter - I have a Kiribi that was given to me as a gift, and I love it...but I frankly would never have paid for it myself. That's not a knock on it, as it has functioned flawlessly, but it's just not the sort of thing I'm willing to pay much for.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I don't doubt that the IM is a good lighter - I have a Kiribi that was given to me as a gift, and I love it...but I frankly would never have paid for it myself. That's not a knock on it, as it has functioned flawlessly, but it's just not the sort of thing I'm willing to pay much for.

Marlin, I totally get that. We all have our things we splurge on ,others that you wouldn't spend more than a buck for. ,

When I was playing golf some guys would smoke a Cohiba and I would smoke my Quintero Brevas at 55 bucks for a bundle of 25. They were a machine made strong Cuban cigar that I didn't mind throwing in fairways or on greens. I would never waste the money tossing a nice Cohiba around.

I have no doubt you will find something more satisfying than a lighter. Maybe a nice pipe, maybe some tobacco, maybe that Mercedes you have your eye on. I hope you enjoy what ever it is that gives you enjoyment. I admit I have a lighter fetish. It started with my first Zippo when I was 13.

Reactions: marlinspike