PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
I've never been a smoker... until, at 60, I tried a pipe. Can't imagine what took me so long. Anyway, I'd like recommendations on a lighter, please. Now... I'm learning that, as with all things pipe smoking, "it's a matter of preference," but I really want to know what you use and why you like it.

Someone may have already mentioned this, as I did not read through all 5 pages of replies... but I really like the Mr.Brog butane lighter. Easy to fill, and it has tamper, poker, scoop incorporated in the lighter itself. Inexpensive, convenient, and reliable.

Reactions: bnichols23

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
"Trust me, it wont burn you, its an electrical arch, that is just science, see how close you can get your finger"
You just leave out the part about how your finger conducts electricity.

"Trust me, it wont burn you, its an electrical arch, that is just science, see how close you can get your finger"
You just leave out the part about how your finger conducts electricity.

Had not considered this... Being the mature adult that I am I of course had to try it on my self... Zapped my finger. The wife sighed, shook her head and said "You better not try that on the children" :ROFLMAO:

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Zippo pipe lighter. I’m not using butane, just the original naphtha one. The hardware store has naphtha for like $8 a quart in the paint department. And the flip up squirt top of a Ronsonol bottle will pop onto the quart can cap perfectly without leaking.
4CD58185-91A8-4972-A30C-868F10948EC0.jpeg
It’s maybe not as fancy as an Old Boy lift arm, but I like Zippos. They just work.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Zippo pipe lighter. I’m not using butane, just the original naphtha one. The hardware store has naphtha for like $8 a quart in the paint department. And the flip up squirt top of a Ronsonol bottle will pop onto the quart can cap perfectly without leaking.
View attachment 29013
It’s maybe not as fancy as an Old Boy lift arm, but I like Zippos. They just work.
More pictures of this guy please! Lighter and leather too! Is that a belt holster? Or just a case protector?

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
More pictures of this guy please! Lighter and leather too! Is that a belt holster? Or just a case protector?
I had some scrap leather laying around that was too small and thin to be of much use for knife sheaths, so I just made a case for my lighter. Just basically keeps my keys from scratching my lighter in my pocket and protects it from dents if it gets dropped. No belt holster or anything, but I did sew a little pocket in it so that I can store a horseshoe nail under the lighter (Looks white in the earlier picture because of reflection). I’ve always used horseshoe nails as pipe tools. They work great for tamping or for poking around at stubborn chunks of flake/kake that could’ve been packed better, and I already have them laying around for making small hooks for key hangers and other things that I make when not doing knives.
FD392E34-F8A9-4A59-8FE9-4B97A671F911.jpeg46DBD19B-35B0-49F4-8A46-E8F7DAC17379.jpegD37ABFEC-CF36-484D-A4DE-46656DD88F26.jpeg

tmgaus51

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
For an alternative to zippos with better control for pipes, check out Douglass lighters. They run on lighter fluid and their Neo series is pretty affordable.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Old boy for me. I also have a kiribi that I liked as much initially, but after 3 or 4 years it seems the flame adjustment became a little unpredictable and needed constant tinkering.
I agree. If anyone is on the fence about getting their first decent lighter, just get the Old Boy from the start. Better to buy nice once than crap, several times.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
It’s either Diamond matches or a bic for me. I have some Zippos, but the constant fiddling/filling/trimming thing is just too much. I’m also a klutz, so $120 Old Boys are a nope. They also most likely don’t float like a bic, and all of my smoking accessories (and pipes...) must pass the float test as I do a lot of canoeing and fishing.

Apart from those torch things, I feel like any old flame is going to get the job done just fine.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
There doesn't seem to be a perfect way to light a pipe. They all have advantages and disadvantages. Matches are probably the best in the purest sense but they're inconvenient. Bics are cheap and easy but can burn the rim or your fingers if you try to go deep. Zippos work good outdoors but the flame can be a little unwieldy and dealing with lighter fluid is a PITA. Pipe lighters are probably the best design for being able to control where the flame goes but a good one is usually pretty expensive. That and butane burns hotter than matches or zippos. Choices, choices, choices.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Burning hotter can be a good thing. Hold it further away, and less time with the flame.

I am sold on refillable butanes, followed by matches, followed disposable butanes, then by a torch lighter (in a gale) and finally, Zippos.

Directional lighters are not a plus and are often butt ugly.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
I've been using the Xikar Resource for years and am very happy. And it has a lifetime guarantee.
View attachment 29287
As a cigar smoker I can vouch for Xikar as a company. They stand behind everything they make like few others. No receipt, no proof of purchase necessary. Send them a 12 year old Xikar product and they send you a brand new one. Great company.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
As a cigar smoker I can vouch for Xikar as a company. They stand behind everything they make like few others. No receipt, no proof of purchase necessary. Send them a 12 year old Xikar product and they send you a brand new one. Great company.
I think I still have some Xikar cutters somewhere from my old cigar days, but never tried their lighters. I had a Calibri torch that the piezo went out on. After that I went to Zippos. Been using them ever since.