PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
OK, time for an update.
I've had some Grousemoor. I found it unique, but relatively mild, although the sample I got was quite aged. I've bumped it down a few notches and, of course, it's still open for debate.
I also placed a bulk order today which includes Rich Dark Honeydew, Grasmere, Dark Flake Scented and Brown Flake Unscented. Be prepared to weigh in on the unrated ones.
Please bring any omissions or miscategorized items to my attention.
Thanks.
jay-roger.jpg

Lakeland Essence Strength Scale
1- Is that a wee bit of sauce, maybe, in the background?
Stonehenge, Hyde Park, Westmoreland Slices, Deluxe Twist XXX
2- You can taste it but it doesn't need its own pipe.
Bob's Chocolate Flake, Dark Flake Unscented, Best Brown #2, Louisiana Perique Flake
3- Try not to store it in the same container as your delicate VA flakes.
Brown Flake Scented
4- You only smoke it in a cob.
Grousemoor
5- You sit it out to air a day or two in advance of smoking.
Bosun Cut Plug Unscented, Coniston Cut Plug Unscented
6- It's a bit much, but you're pretty sure you'll come to like it.
#7 Broken Flake, Dark Flake Scented
7- The dog barks to go out whenever you load a pipe.
Rich Dark Honeydew, Bosun Cut Plug Aromatic, SG RB Plug
8- The dog makes you go out whenever you load a pipe.
Glengarry, SG Special Flake #1, SG Special Flake #3
9- Your wife inquires about your fidelity and searches you tobacco storage closet for a courtesan.
Coniston Cut Plug Aromatic, Kendal Flake, Grasmere
10- The postal carrier has strapped you package to the roof of his vehicle and wears gloves to handle it.
SG Cannon Plug
11- If you dare!
Ennerdale
Not yet assigned:
Brown Flake Unscented
Honorable Mentions:
Warhorse (3)
Mixture 79 (7)
HU Great Dixter (9)

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I've had fresh Grousemoor and would give it an 8 or 9. I jarred it up for a couple years and agree it slipped to maybe a 6.

Sep 18, 2015
Pretty much agree with most of this list, have to question the placement of Ennerdale though, the batch I’ve been smoking is about a year old so maybe that has something to do with it, I did just get a fresh batch the other day, I will have a bowl for comparison later.

I’m still fairly new to the full blown Lakeland’ But the Grasmere is the most ‘in your face’ WTF is this that I’ve tried! And yes I’ve gotten to where I like it, even decided to dedicate a Briar and have a bowl drying now!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I need to open a "floor" debate on Grasmere.
I just got some in fresh and had a bowl last night. It had a distinct flavor & aroma with the rose/geranium essences but I have trouble leaving it in the "9" slot.
It did not seem near as strong as the Coniston Cut Plug I've been smoking. The CCP I have does have a bit of age. I was told by the person I traded with for it that it was the unscented variety, but maybe it was scented.
Either way, it is, to me, several notches above the Grasmere in strength of essence.
I suspect that, perhaps different components resonate on different levels, per individual, and that forming a unified consensus may be fluid, at best. As illustrated, onestrangeone and I have completely different perspectives.
Please weigh in on Grasmere if you're well versed.
Thanks.
jay-roger.jpg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
After reading this thread, I'm convinced Ennerdale is the Lakeland that makes the therapist hold up a doll in his office and ask you to point where it sauced you without your consent.
Ennerdale is the Lakeland that breaks up your marriage. "He says he is just going to go smoke a pipe, but when he gets back he always smells like rose petals and cheap perfume."

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
jay, I've smoked quite a bit of Grassmere and my taste runs along with onestrangeone.

Grassmere is the most floral / rose / geranium flavoured tobacco (along with HU Great Dixter) I've tried. Coniston has a completely different flavour according to my jaded palate. The leaf used in CCP is a bit stronger as well.

I indeed believe the way we perceive the components of each blend resonates differently from one smoker to another. Tastes truly are subjective.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I was just reading @condorlover1 's thread on Cannon Plug and it reminded me to look in on this one.

Any new Lakeland experiences to add?

Anyone visiting Granny's house for Thanksgiving can drop a pinch of Ennerdale in her potpourri dish and save her a few bucks on having to replenish it. Grannies need all the help they can get, kids...

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS
Oct 7, 2016
Someone called the rosewater and geranium flavorings the grandma's bathmat, but it has a vast band of faithful smokers. Chasing these products and designating pipes doesn't appeal to me, but that doesn't mean it can't appeal to you, or someone.
It is NOT rosewater and geranium. It is rose geranium, which is actually a very interesting plant that was commonly used as a flavoring in candies, cakes, jams and so forth in years gone by, and still is, though these products are now hard to find. There are some of us who think it’s use in Lake District tobaccos is at least in some measure responsible for the almost universally- and widely noted by reviewers who otherwise don’t care for them- cool smoking characteristics of these blends, as opposed to other ways to add or carry flavor/sweetness.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have found a generous soul who has donated some Cannon Plug to me so I'll let you know since if it is what I think it is I am going to engage in a bulk buy and blockade run from the U.K. I love Grasmere and it would make a great Plug but as a 'fold and stuff' type of tobacco its pretty good for a late afternoon bowl full. Once bitten by the Autie Mabel bath mat bug there is no turning back!