PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Apologies if replying to this order thread is bad form on this forum, but I have found it to be a useful thread and have referenced it in other posts quite a bit. I would be nice to have other people contribute their opinions and keep the scale updated for people like me still learning and exploring Lakelands.

With that said, I really like Bob's Chocolate Flake and the tin I have has just a tinge of floral Lakeland in the flavor which is a really nice complement to the overall profile. I just received some fresh Bob's Square Cut and I haven't smoked any of it yet, but if Bob's Chocolate Flake is only a 2 out of 10, then the Bob's Square Cut would seem to be a 7 or 8 to me. However, I haven't had any other Lakelands to really know where it should fit into the scale. The aroma is pretty strong, but it's also alluring. I'm super excited since it will be my first experience with a more heavily sauced Lakeland. Where do other people put Bob's Square Cut on this scale?

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Apologies if replying to this order thread is bad form on this forum, but I have found it to be a useful thread and have referenced it in other posts quite a bit. I would be nice to have other people contribute their opinions and keep the scale updated for people like me still learning and exploring Lakelands.

With that said, I really like Bob's Chocolate Flake and the tin I have has just a tinge of floral Lakeland in the flavor which is a really nice complement to the overall profile. I just received some fresh Bob's Square Cut and I haven't smoked any of it yet, but if Bob's Chocolate Flake is only a 2 out of 10, then the Bob's Square Cut would seem to be a 7 or 8 to me. However, I haven't had any other Lakelands to really know where it should fit into the scale. The aroma is pretty strong, but it's also alluring. I'm super excited since it will be my first experience with a more heavily sauced Lakeland. Where do other people put Bob's Square Cut on this scale?
I tried the fresh Bob's Chocolate Flake last week. As mentioned, the Lakeland aroma was like 7 or 8 to me and was attractive. I liked the first smoke of it and the Lakeland flavor was more subdued as would have been suggested by the aroma. I'd probably put it at a 4, but still don't have enough to really compare. I need to smoke it a few more times and revisit Bob's Chocolate Flake again to provide a more informed comparison. Those activities are planned for the remainder of this month.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
The Lakeland scale is both a moving target and work in progress.

Variances in people's taste experiences and also the age and condition of the blends they smoke make it impossible to get everyone in agreement, so I'm happy to get an "average" concurrence.

So, any more input on this Bob's Square Cut? Where does it fit in the scale? TR does say it has slightly different essences.

1591013982039.jpeg

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Glad this amazing thread has resurfaced! I wonder if we need to add a qualifier to the scale to indicate “soapiness” because while Ennerdale has a strong (amazing!) topping I don’t get a ton of soap from it. SG Kendal Cream is another one, maybe not as intensely flavored as Ennerdale but also no soap.

I have GH Bosun Cut Plug and Kendal Flake to try this weekend. When I got the package of Bosun Cut Plug it sat around for a day before I could jar it, about 6 feet from where I was sitting and working. After a while I noticed a mentholyptus-Ben Gay kind of scent in the air and that sort of cold burn that you get in your eyes and nose from that kind of stuff. I couldn’t imagine what it might be then realized it was the clove from the BCP!!!! I promptly jarred it after that!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Just got my meat hooks on some Kendal Flake, which is listed in our scale at a 9.

Kind if odd, almost a caraway seed aroma...

Judging by the smell, it doesn't seem anywhere near that strong. I'll hold off on further comment until it's smoked.

1611360682648.jpeg

EDIT: Just read the "ingredients" list. What ISN'T in there? @jiminks gives it 4 stars, so we're diving in...

From TR:

A stronger tobacco with light side proportions of 68% virginia and a dark side of nearly 1/3, including 16% dark-cured Indian leaf, provide a medium strength smoke. The dominant flavour is one of scented almond and this complex top note is achieved by the combination of over 10 different flavours, including Rose Geranium, Vanilla, Rum, Tonquin, Musk, Heliotropin and Rose Fragrances.

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
I disagree with the current Glenngary Flake rating. I'm smoking some for the first time and it's not a full blast lakeland. I'd place it in the semi-aro category like BCF. Perhaps my sample bag is on the anemic side but it's not a 9... more like a 3 or 4.
I agree with this. It just has a sweetness to it. If you like straight virginias this still might appeal. It is similar in flavor to Four Squires which has a light maple flavoring and this one to my knowledge has honey flavoring.

I think in the past they had more contamination issues.