PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Grousmoor is hands down a 9. I’ll bring some when we meet up so I can make you a believer, you’ll either love me or hate me for it! I would put Cannon Plug at 10, easily. Don’t know if you listed RB Plug but if you were to list it I would say it’s about a 4.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've just never gotten a lot of "Lakeland" from Grousemoor. A bit of floral fruit, but nowhere near the levels of Glengarry or Ennerdale. Never smoked it from a tin though.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Embers, are you going to attach a moustache to that skull?
I find the same with grousemoor, that is is not 'lakeland' in the way the others listed are.

To me It is strongly distinct, but more in a league of its own, possibly their are other blends similiar that I have just not tried.
I have tried it from tin and in bulk from a B&M, and the tin I thought had more 'essence' to it.
Isaac

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Minor update. Moved Grousmoor to 9. Assigned RB Plug at 4 and Cannon Plug at 10. Removed Durian from unassigned list until someone can demonstrate its existence. Further debate and adjustment expected.
I know there's more Lakelands, as I see many unfamiliar things listed (as out of stock) on the various sites, so chime in if you've had the less common ones.
jay-roger.jpg

Lakeland Essence Strength Scale
1- Is that a wee bit of sauce, maybe, in the background?
Stonehenge, Hyde Park
2- You can taste it but it doesn't need its own pipe.
Bob's Chocolate Flake, Dark Flake Unscented, Best Brown #2
3- Try not to store it in the same container as your delicate VA flakes.
Brown Flake Scented
4- You only smoke it in a cob.
SG RB Plug
5- You sit it out to air a day or two in advance of smoking.
Bosun Cut Plug Unscented, Coniston Cut Plug Unscented
6- It's a bit much, but you're pretty sure you'll come to like it.
#7 Broken Flake, Dark Flake Scented
7- The dog barks to go out whenever you load a pipe.
Rich Dark Honeydew, Bosun Cut Plug Aromatic
8- The dog makes you go out whenever you load a pipe.
Glengarry, SG Special Flake #1, SG Special Flake #3
9- Your wife inquires about your fidelity and searches you tobacco

storage closet for a courtesan.
Coniston Cut Plug Aromatic, Kendal Flake, Grasmere, Grousmoor
10- The postal carrier has strapped you package to the roof of his vehicle and wears gloves to handle it.
SG Cannon Plug
11- If you dare!
Ennerdale
Not yet assigned:
(none)
The Honorable Mention list are ones, to my understanding, not actually produced by native Lakelanders, but I've put a numeric value beside them based on your input. If any are actually Lakeland tobacco, please correct me.
Honorable Mentions:
Warhorse (3)
Mixture 79 (7)

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
This is shaping up quite nicely. What a great idea, Jay! When it is finally complete for sure I'll have to copy and paste it to my desktop for future reference.
I bet the folks in Cumbria would get a kick out of it :)

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I really don't know how you would classify War Horse. I suppose there should be a separate 'Dude smoke this stuff to get you really messed up category' in essence a Darwin Award pipe tobacco. I can see the Lakeland comparison but the stuff is loaded with valerian root extract and heliotrope among other things. I wouldn't be surprised if they added moth balls to the topping since it stinks to high heaven and seems to even escape from sealed tins to announce its arrival in your tobacco rotation. I believe when Ash Digger did one of his famous tastings and sent out samples of a 1970s War Horse plug one or two people commented on how close STC version was to the original so I can only imagine how bad that stuff must have smelled when factory fresh.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Jay, this is purely genius. I really think there should be some sort of award for work of this caliber. If you're ever in my neck of the woods I'll stand you a beer and a shot. :puffy:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
You’re a good man for keeping up with this, Jay. It can be hard for people to agree on these kinds of things, for instance, I think Glengarry Flake is more of a 2, I hardly pick up on any “Lakeland” sauce on that one at all. If it were up to me I’d put it at a 2 or 3 tops but I’ll go along with whatever the consensus is, that’s the whole point. I would like to add another honorable mention from HU, it’s called Great Dixter and it makes Ennerdale Flake seem like it’s lightly flavored comparatively. It is a heavy duty, highly scented tobacco in the spirit of a Lakeland but obviously it’s not technically a Lakeland. Definitely one worth trying for those that like Geranium, I would say for those of you who love Grasmere, you owe it to yourself to try this blend. In fact, I’m gonna go ahead and say it... I like HU scented blends better than GH&Co. Yeah, I said it and I mean it too!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
OK, so we have Glengarry open for debate. One user estimates 2 and one estimates 8.
Jiminks indicates the essence as "not strong at all; mostly a background presence".
His palate carries considerable weight in our neighborhood.
My logical side says to split the difference and call it a 5.
Any others who have enjoyed this blend, please help out with more input.
Just curious, to you long term Lakeland consumers, how "variable" does the sauce seem over time? Is it possible to get a "2" in one purchase and an "8" in a later purchase of the same blend?
Leaving no stone unturned...
Thanks.
jay-roger.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Jay just going off topic for a second what is the hat you are wearing in your avatar? Is that a Fez perchance? I have been meaning to ask you for ages.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Ok Jay here are where I'd put the ones I've smoked that aren't on your list yet, but bear in mind my palette is probably not too clever and I use a 9mm pipe so that obviously tones it down a tad.
Westmorland Slices: To me this is in the same wheelhouse as EA Carey's Dark Flake No7 and on your scale it'd be a 1
Louisiana Flake: This had a slight cocoa/floral flavour so I'd put that at 2 - 3
RB Plug: This had quite a strong gingerbread flavour so 7 - 8
Deluxe XXX: This is unscented in the Gawith Hoggarth sense so it still has a very mild flavour of what to me tasted like golden syrup and this one I'd say is a definite 1
Hope this helps mate.
Chris

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Preparing for an update.
We have the following for consideration.
Westmoreland Slices (1)
Louisiana Perique Flake (2)
SG RB Plug (at 4 but being considered to increase to 7 or 8 )
Glengary (moved from 2 to 8, being considered to drop back down to 5)
Deluxe Twist XXX (1)
If you've tried these blends, please weigh in on the scale placement.
Adding HU Great Dixter to the Honorable Mention list.
Thanks.
jay-roger.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Orley just included a sample of Grousmoor and Glengarry with a pipe I bought from him. Thanks!
I'm having some Grousmoor right now. I expected the Lakeland to be much stronger, based on the ranking of 9 we have here. I did notice, however, that this sample is aged at 4 years and carried little scent from the bag.
It's definitely unique, unlike the others I've tried so far. I have to say, I like it.
What says the collective? Should I delay any adjustment to strength, based on the age of the sample? I've had several tobaccos where cellar time has made a big difference in strength.
jay-roger.jpg

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Glengarry 2
RB Plug a solid 7. Maybe 8.
HU Great Dixter is kinda like Grasmere. Very floral. 9-10 imo.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I've only smoked one tin of Grousemoor; straight out of the tin and the tin was less than six months old. In this condition it is very fragrant and I can understand why some find it rather 'peculiar' - 8 seems about the right ranking to me. :puffpipe:
Personally I love the stuff (and if it wasn't for the new ban on personal imports that our ship of fools government has just introduced I would be buying more. :crying:

Reactions: tomnernas2ndson