Jim's Sutliff Cringle Flake (Holiday Edition 2020) Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes
24 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
4 Fresh Henri Sorensen Pipes
36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Simply red is good I prefer the sutliff product though. The simply red seemed a bit less sweet and less vinegar-y to me.
Could be a difference between the batches you and I have had, but I found the WCC much richer and the Sutliff more bland. Also, the Sutliff tastes like straight white vinegar whereas the WCC I've had tasted more like fermentation and less like someone went crazy with a topping. I appreciate the fermented nature of the WCC vs whomever at Sutliff is spraying Malt vinegar everywhere like it's a basket of chips.

Reactions: logs and bent1

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Disagree. Also it is sutliff va so jokes on you. ?

quality how?! Haha
Yeah I just saw Ernie Q's post on this from another site while doing some research.

I guess I'll have to order both after all, damn this mason jar shortage.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Disagree. Also it is sutliff va so jokes on you. ?
If it's the same stuff (and I have no doubt of your knowledge on this), do we know what WCC does to it to transform it into their Simply Red? I'm sure that they aren't just repackaging it.

Anyone know what they do to the Sutliff Va? I've never tried either so I'm curious.

• Sad
Reactions: aquadoc

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
If it's the same stuff (and I have no doubt of your knowledge on this), do we know what WCC does to it to transform it into their Simply Red? I'm sure that they aren't just repackaging it.

Anyone know what they do to the Sutliff Va? I've never tried either so I'm curious.
Oh I don’t mean it’s the same as 515... just that it’s produced by Sutliff also.

@pantsBoots what you found “richer” I found harsher and flat. Also are you drying the 515 all the way? It’s not vinegar on 515 btw.

If you like simply red try Wilke Lizzie Blood VA.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Agree. Molto Dolce? One of the worst.
515RC1? Heaven on earth.
This is a really good response to illustrate the point.

I love Molto Dulce but don't particularly care for the 515. However I think you and I specifically can agree on our dislike of C&D Carolina Red Flake while many others here seem to enjoy it. To each his own.

I get bitten rather easily by certain red VAs for some reason so, flavor aside, I don't care for them much. One mentioned in this thread is WCC Simply Red. I like the flavor but I can't smoke much of it since it seems to simply kill my tongue. Now a red VA that is tempered with the much maligned "goopy PG", or perique, or latakia, is a different story. For whatever reason, some reds with added components don't literally sting like others do.

One of the things I liked about the 2019 Cringle Flake was the tangy-ness (and sweetness) without the bite.

From what I'm reading about the 2019 vs the 2020 is this(?):

2019: Straight VA with an attempt to amp up the fig/plum flavor with a flavoring (casing and/or topping)
2020: VA with an attempt to amp of the fig/plum flavor with perique

I should say I don't know if either is a deliberate attempt but perhaps more the happy results? Others who know much more than I might possibly be able to say.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Oh I don’t mean it’s the same as 515... just that it’s produced by Sutliff also.

@pantsBoots what you found “richer” I found harsher and flat. Also are you drying the 515 all the way? It’s not vinegar on 515 btw.

If you like simply red try Wilke Lizzie Blood VA.
Thanks for the clarification! Very much appreciated. I get torn between not having to run after the latest, greatest limited release while also wanting to financially support folks like Ernie so that he (and others) continue doing the great work that they are doing!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Thanks for the clarification! Very much appreciated. I get torn between not having to run after the latest, greatest limited release while also wanting to financially support folks like Ernie so that he (and others) continue doing the great work that they are doing!
Definitely I feel that. I guess in a red VA I’ve got it easy liking 515RC1.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
This is a really good response to illustrate the point.

I love Molto Dulce but don't particularly care for the 515. However I think you and I specifically can agree on our dislike of C&D Carolina Red Flake while many others here seem to enjoy it. To each his own.
Absolutely ! I thought CRF was particularly bad.

interesting about the red VA.. that would have a big play in liking something definitely. I seem to be the opposite and red VA doesn’t bite me but burley can. Must be a chemistry thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.