PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
But I must say when I first began to stumble on these ebay listings my heart sank and I thought--to put the matter politely--WTF?
^^^^
Exactly. WTF ? :eek:

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Someone recently listed some pipes with some serious structural and cosmetic issues. They had a spin in the description that I should have saved. Something to the effect of "you can seen from the patina, that this pipe must have been a great smoker". But would have more properly read, "saved from the burn pile, purchase at the expense of your own peril".

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Yes, this fellow. He's on this forum you know. 'The Mitre' ... I believe his first post on the forum was one where he attempted to convince everyone that his pipe's stinger was in fact an SOE dagger so that he could list it as such on eBay. Then the whole Peterson house pipe with the amber tip he 'artistically' fit to it. Then the burnt-out GBDs. And so on. It's the "There. Fixed it." meme brought to bear on pipe repear, each more breathtaking than the last.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That poor pipe. Some slobbering idiot smoked it hot and wet until it cracked apart, and kept on torturing it until it REALLY fell to bits. Hopefully, he was run over by a speeding horse drawn wagon.

In defense of the seller, he's not trying to hide anything. Referring to this as a restoration is quite a stretch and not exactly the correct use of the term. At the same time, a prospective buyer can see just what they're buying, and if they're interested then that's their decision.

Just proves, assuming that this pipe actually sold, that there's something for everyone.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I don’t have a Ben Wade bulldog but the kennel is pretty full 😁
You would have made room for this…

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia

That was a good buy

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands

Bugger :(

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Are we talking Judd's pipes, or marvich 420 ?
Marvich's chainsaw massacres--which first began to appear in fairly significant number mid-July.

He describes himself as "a retired wooden boat builder and bronze foundry pattern maker," who decided to try his hand at repairing "briars with cracked bowls," says he began a dozen years ago, and thought he'd test "the market."

I will admit a few of his offerings have all but reduced me to tears. For instance, this--which made $977 a couple of weeks ago: