PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Marvich's chainsaw massacres--which first began to appear in fairly significant number mid-July.

He describes himself as "a retired wooden boat builder and bronze foundry pattern maker," who decided to try his hand at repairing "briars with cracked bowls," says he began a dozen years ago, and thought he'd test "the market."

I will admit a few of his offerings have all but reduced me to tears. For instance, this--which made $977 a couple of weeks ago:
This is shocking in every possible dimension.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Nice little unsmoked Civic, someone picked this up for a song. I had offered 20 quid, which the seller rejected. Wish I hadn't forgotten about it!

Oh no, what a gorgeous pipe!
Half of me wants to say if that’s one you can forget about, then it probably wasn’t the pipe for you.
But honestly, the other half of me wants to say…
IMG_3983.gif

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Just proves…that there's something for everyone.

As a friend of mine used to say when we were hitting the bars looking for women in the mid 1980s “every market clears eventually”. In my experience that was usually between 11pm-1am. That was a long time ago but I imagine it’s still true. At least for those adventurous enough to close the dating app long enough to go out somewhere people congregate.

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Marvich's chainsaw massacres--which first began to appear in fairly significant number mid-July.

He describes himself as "a retired wooden boat builder and bronze foundry pattern maker," who decided to try his hand at repairing "briars with cracked bowls," says he began a dozen years ago, and thought he'd test "the market."

I will admit a few of his offerings have all but reduced me to tears. For instance, this--which made $977 a couple of weeks ago:
That's got t be the world's most expensive frankenpipe!
Clearly a few people really liked the result on its own merits. Looking at the bid history, the winner really wanted this pipe, as he repeatedly upped his bid whenever he was outbid.
I don't exactly know how I feel about the result, though certainly not outraged by it. If the Dunhill portion was pretty smashed up he at least returned it to something useful, if impure. I don't always mind impure.

But if he ever does that to a Barling, he's dead...

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
That's got t be the world's most expensive frankenpipe!
Clearly a few people really liked the result on its own merits. Looking at the bid history, the winner really wanted this pipe, as he repeatedly upped his bid whenever he was outbid.
I don't exactly know how I feel about the result, though certainly not outraged by it. If the Dunhill portion was pretty smashed up he at least returned it to something useful, if impure. I don't always mind impure.

But if he ever does that to a Barling, he's dead...
Count me in Jesse.
We'll kick his arse.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea

This abomination has reduced me to tears! :mad:

What on earth possessed him to do something like that? and then have the audacity to sell it.

A Poor mug then pays almost a thousand bucks for it. One born every minute, as they say...

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
View attachment 243512
Jeez.

Has this guy got a hatred for Dunhill's?
:mad:
On the contrary; here is a man with a mission.
He saves/repairs pipes that otherwise probably would have found their way to the bin, and then offers them for sale.
Despite what you think of some of his abominations he obviously has woodworking skills and did some tolerable repairs too. Impure, but again another pipe saved from the trash .
His communication is just fine; we discussed some of his offerings and improved on acquaintance a lot.
I knows his pipes, is perfectly honest and I like him. He also sold some really nice, quite rare and properly cleaned up unmodified pipes, like the Weingott, Blue Bar etc.
I've seen a lot worse and he is genuine in his own right. Aren't we all ?
The poor mug who pays a small fortune for a mutilated Dunhill is just a poor mug with too much savings.
His buyers are very pleased with him and I contemplate bidding on one of his pipes.

We can not all be like George.
Suppose he had the skills and tools and interest to properly restore? Meaning topping, sandblasting , restain etc. his decapitated Dunhills.
We would possibly approve and admire him for his works.
For example the " Windshield Dunhill " . I do not approve of it, but he saved it, created something new and it was appreciated by some. I'm a pipe nerd, this is just an alternative approach.

Last edited:

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
On the contrary; here is a man with a mission.
He saves/repairs pipes that otherwise probably would have found their way to the bin, and then offers them for sale.
Despite what you think of some of his abominations he obviously has woodworking skills and did some tolerable repairs too. Impure, but again another pipe saved from the trash .
His communication is just fine; we discussed some of his offerings and improved on acquaintance a lot.
I knows his pipes, is perfectly honest and I like him. He also sold some really nice, quite rare and properly cleaned up unmodified pipes, like the Weingott, Blue Bar etc.
I've seen a lot worse and he is genuine in his own right. Aren't we all ?
The poor mug who pays a small fortune for a mutilated Dunhill is just a poor mug with too much savings.
His buyers are very pleased with him and I contemplate bidding on one of his pipes.

We can not all be like George.
Suppose he had the skills and tools and interest to properly restore? Meaning topping, sandblasting , restain etc. his decapitated Dunhills.
We would possibly approve and admire him for his works.
For example the " Windshield Dunhill " . I do not approve of it, but he saved it, created something new and it was appreciated by some. I'm a pipe nerd, this is just an alternative approach.

Nicely done; I do like a contrarian point of view. And there’s much to agree with in what you say. In similar cases I have had a serious problem with inadequate disclosure but that does not appear to be a factor here.

These are not priceless and irreplaceable artifacts; they’re simply badly damaged pipes. If he can make them desirable in someone’s eyes why not? Just because the results don’t appeal to me personally is wholly irrelevant. I’ve always believed what other people do with their money is none of my business.