PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
ssjones said
"It was definitely the nicest 9242 I've ever seen, easily worth that selling price. "

I didnt see the listing otherwise I would have bid,however with an additional 25% for import taxes paid up front via ebay Global shipping it would have been over my max bid.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I was surprised by this one:

Granted, these Leeds era Ben Wades don't turn up often and they are exceptional pipes, but they've never been at all pricey. I bought mine at around $75 apiece.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I was surprised by this one:

Granted, these Leeds era Ben Wades don't turn up often and they are exceptional pipes, but they've never been at all pricey. I bought mine at around $75 apiece.
Yes I was confused by that as well. Its counterpart cost me all of $65.

[Edit] One possibility that had occurred to me at the time is that the heart cipher was shown clearly in the photographs. Although it's not rare per se, it's infrequently shown in photographs where detail is not a priority, so someone may have thought it was a rare stamping.

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Harris' hopes for a free fall in prices doesn't appear to be happening. This pipe went for quite a respectable price:

The short stem isn't original.

Reactions: burleyboy

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Harris' hopes for a free fall in prices doesn't appear to be happening. This pipe went for quite a respectable price

I expected this to go much higher.

How do you view prices on completed eBay auctions? If I recall correctly, I remember back in the 2000s you could view the ending bid, but now all I see is, “This item is no longer available,” with no price. When I go on sellers like Pipestud’s eBay page, I don’t see a section with completed auctions. It would be nice to see what the pipes sold for.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
How do you view prices on completed eBay auctions? If I recall correctly, I remember back in the 2000s you could view the ending bid, but now all I see is, “This item is no longer available,” with no price. When I go on sellers like Pipestud’s eBay page, I don’t see a section with completed auctions. It would be nice to see what the pipes sold for.
You can do an advanced search for completed items. It only goes so far back though; I'm not sure how far.

There're other websites that archive sold prices but I'm not too familiar with them.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Final was 82.30 plus 8 bucks shipping. I was expecting more because it was bent. But I didn't look to close at the condition of the exterior bowl. Strong bent Barlings Make pipes are not common like the pot shape. About as common as the cursive Custom-Bilt strong bent shapes, like 3/4 bent +.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Blue Riband prices are still holding...$460.00!

s-l1600.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Papamique

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The link I gave for the Barling library pipe does show the final price, which was $1256.51.

Reactions: cshubhra
This went for IMO an astronomical sum! Four times of what I saw a double one dot sold for in eBay last time I watched.
I was bidding on this, but went higher than what I wanted it for. Always a next time!!!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Harris' hopes for a drop in pipe prices seems to be safely DOA. Take this recently concluded auction for this Barling 251 in a special grade:

It went for a cool $800.

I own one of these which I bought about 4, maybe 5, years ago. Mine is crisp, super clean, and is also a special grade.

I paid $250 for it.

Generally these go for between $250 and, maybe, $450, tops.

I had spotting the bidding duel about a week ago. The bidding is interesting, especially when you look at the number of bid retractions one of the duelers has, 89 in the past 6 months. That doesn't sound legit to me.
Then the pipe sits for several days at $710 before a new bidder jumps in with 15 minutes left in the auction.

WTH?

Were I one of the two who had originally bid this pipe into crazy land I would have been ever so grateful to have gotten out from under whatever insanity had propelled me to overbid that much, but no, one of the duelers keeps going. And when the hammer falls, the pipe is at a lofty $800.

I could understand this if this model was a rarity, but this particular model was very popular, and I've seen a lot of them. It's a good smoker, but $800 worth of smoker? BTW, I like the 252, with the saddle stem, much better.

Reactions: pitchfork

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
This went for IMO an astronomical sum! Four times of what I saw a double one dot sold for in eBay last time I watched.
I was bidding on this, but went higher than what I wanted it for. Always a next time!!!
I was involved in helping a friend sell one of these pipes ~ 2014 (not the same pipe, I just checked). We sold it for half again as much. Chinese buyers were much more involved in buying collectable English pipes at the time.

Reactions: cshubhra

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
I was involved in helping a friend sell one of these pipes ~ 2014 (not the same pipe, I just checked). We sold it for half again as much. Chinese buyers were much more involved in buying collectable English pipes at the time.

The one you helped a friend sell, was it a “Specially Selected” too? With the box?

(I just saw that you said it was not the same pipe. Too early in the morning).