Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This GBD wasn't very pricey - but a combination that I've never seen before
- Prehistoric (normal sandblast)
- Cumberland stem (seemingly factory with the brass rodel
- 9456 shape seems very different, more chunky than other 9456's I've handled
I put in a $50 bid,but lost by a few bucks.

GBD_P-V.jpg

Reactions: burleyboy
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
So, I wrote to the seller, who--to cut to the chase--reluctantly sent me a blurry photo of the rim (see below). And finally admitted (after not sending another picture) that the stem lacked a Dunhill spot of any kind.
I was the winning bidder for this pipe. I am told by a knowledgeable friend that Dunhill amber stems sometimes had the white spot on the tenon. This is plausible given that it was initially a way to inform owners how to orient their mouthpiece. Given the fragility of amber, I felt it would be unwise to request that the seller remove it.

The seller has an excellent record and the price was low enough that it was worth the gamble. The Ventage case is in stellar condition and leads me to expect the pipe might also be in excellent shape. We'll see!

Here is a cased set that sold for $3575. No white spot on the pipe where it would be visible.

IMG_20200626_213753.jpg

Last edited:

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Please do report back when it arrives, and even better when you've returned it to its former glory (Dunhills with deluxe stems are particularly appealing).

I've already got one particularly challenging '20s Dunhill restoration project looming on my current dance card--And that's all the excitement of this kind I can handle right now. I have to say I thought your auction's hammer would be much higher. You did well. Congratulations!

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Just in case you don't--or anyone else who's interested doesn't--have a copy of the Christmas 1923 edition of "About Smoke," this small illustration on page 19 looks spot on (if you'll forgive the pun)--
Cool! Thanks for sharing that.

One thing that does make me wonder about the potential that the stem is a replacement is the lighter patch of finish near the end of the shank. It could be a telltale sign of replacement since it's common to sand a stem while mounted to the pipe in order to achieve a perfect mating. Of course, that would require restaining at least that section of briar.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow,I wish that set could talk!

Cool! Thanks for sharing that.

One thing that does make me wonder about the potential that the stem is a replacement is the lighter patch of finish near the end of the shank. It could be a telltale sign of replacement since it's common to sand a stem while mounted to the pipe in order to achieve a perfect mating. Of course, that would require restaining at least that section of briar.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This one was listed oddly - but for an 8 Dot, 1920's era, with stinger and "Straight Grain" stamp (in very good condition) it went on the low side.

Screenshot_2020-07-05 SASIENI PATENT STRAIGHT GRAIN PIPE FISH TALE LOGO 1920's eBay.png

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What a beautiful pipe, a nice prince shape, JS stamp, and hallmarked 1939. Whoever got it didn’t get it cheap but it is a beautiful piece.
The bidding is interesting. This one had a lot of attention. There were a number of snipers at the end who added an additional $225 to the price in the last 2 seconds. The winner has a fair number of bid retractions, so this pipe may show up again for sale.

Reactions: Papamique

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Maybe it's just me, but the Dots on the last two Eight Dots look awfully blue after ~ 80 years...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This one was listed oddly - but for an 8 Dot, 1920's era, with stinger and "Straight Grain" stamp (in very good condition) it went on the low side.

View attachment 35430
In other photos, this pipe looks like the bowl is too short for the strength of the shank and stem. Here's another photo. Were all of that marque the same?

s-l1600.jpg

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I thought these old one dots were reasonable. I especially like the 112 shape.......... I've never seen one in the wild........... puffy

Reactions: dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
In other photos, this pipe looks like the bowl is too short for the strength of the shank and stem. Here's another photo. Were all of that marque the same?

s-l1600.jpg

Quite. Tell me, which catalog shape is it...?

Screenshot_2020-07-14 1930's Sasieni Catalogue et cetera plus.png

Note the rim on the Prince,

Screenshot_2020-04-25 1930's Sasieni Catalogue et cetera plus.png

Like I said, "worked".

Reactions: guylesss

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I thought these old one dots were reasonable. I especially like the 112 shape.......... I've never seen one in the wild........... puffy

Neither have I. The 112 would later become the Oxford/Kendal shape; the 89 is I believe the Amesbury/Cheltenham.

Screenshot_2020-07-15 1930's Sasieni Catalogue et cetera plus.png

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Here's another interesting auction:
While the price is not extraordinary, the bidding is rather interesting. Early in the auction the winning bidder put in a bid and walked away. When looking at his bidding history he's issued 119 bid retractions in the last 6 months. You have to wonder why eBay hasn't shut him off. They make a big deal about bid retractions in their guidelines, but clearly couldn't possibly care less.