PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
His daughter was crowned june 2 1953.
Ever since tins, pipe packages etc. were badged " by Appointment ... to Her Majesty the Queen ".
A Royal Warrant is probably regulated by law, or is it not ?

This forum is mostly about nerdy matters :)

Last edited:
Reactions: guylesss

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
His daughter was crowned june 2 1953.
Ever since tins, pipe packages etc. were badged " by Appointment ... to Her Majesty the Queen ".
A Royal Warrant is probably regulated by law, or is it not ?

This forum is mostly about nerdy matters :)
If we take Loring at his word (in this case, his long and lavishly illustrated 1997 essay "ON DUNHILL TINNED TOBACCO") it sounds like it took more than ten years before the good queen made her debut as Dunhill's principal royal patron.

Insofar as I vaguely understand the mysteries and somewhat secretive "regulation" of such things--granting peerages, becoming a knight of the most noble order of the garter, securing places for unborn children at Eton-- Royal Warrants are at least in some part "regulated" by an association of merchants who have them (at least since the mid-19th century). Obviously too the Royal Household itself has the decisive say.

And then not only does the reigning monarch get to give warrants out, but various lesser Royals have the option of favoring their favorites with the right to borrow emblems, like the pretty cool looking heraldic badge of three white ostrich feathers that belongs to the Prince of Wales (and which Dunhill used on quite a lot of merchandise and marketing material during the 1920s).

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Actually there's a website, complete with FAQ, that lays the Eleusinian Mysteries of the Royal Warrant bare for all to see (Royal Warrant Holders Association - https://www.royalwarrant.org/). Among the many tidbits on display: only the Monarch decides who may grant a Royal Warrant; there are three grantors today (the Queen, the world's oldest boytoy the Duke of Edinburgh, and the Prince of Wales); grants are subject to review and renewal after five year intervals; if a Royal Warrant is cancelled (as I understand Jeffrey Epstein's was) the grantee has up to a year to remove it from packaging and marketing materials; if the grantor is called to that great throne room in the sky the grantee has up to two years to remove the Royal Warrant from packaging and marketing materials; unlike the Church there is no simony involved: Royal Warrants are free of charge.

The website above belongs to the Association to which guylesss referred. Founded in 1840, it appears to thrive on the exaction of membership and administrative fees, in return for processing paperwork and sponsoring the odd picnic. And I gather they're very odd indeed.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Thank you for posting jguss, how strict could the Dunhill management have been regarding
the Royal Warrant ?

The quick answer is I don't know. My speculation is that holders of Royal Warrants would be reasonably strict in following the rules, since presumably abuse of them would make it unlikely you'd be granted a renewal when the five years was up. Of course the rules posted on the Association's website may have been different in the past. The curious would have to contact them directly to find out. In any case I think a brand trading in part on its affiliation with Royalty would be cautious about alienating them. But again, just speculation.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
I have the following packaging that came with a lot purchase. Note the revision code on the bottom left of the back of the pamphlet. Usually, but not with 100 percent certainty, this is a date code.

20200805_183726.jpg20200805_183735.jpg20200805_183740.jpg

It appears possible that the warrant was maintained for a significant amount of time after the death of King George VI

Bob

Reactions: jpmcwjr

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I thought the White Spot started in 2013-2014, but I guess not.
Some of these bidders missed the memo about White Spots not holding their value. However a somewhat rare shape (CK became the shape 29). A Ebay newbie put in the max bid, somewhat early.

Dec 10, 2013
Hi Al,

This now saddens my heart a little.
For such money I truly believe the 2 patent Dead Root H graded ( ascending A - J ) in original case and in fair condition commensurate their age are a bargain.
When memory serves me correctly the onset of the White Spot was 1995.
Someone please stand me corrected when I am mistaken.
Still a nice pipe and preferred shape.

Dec 10, 2013
Hello Bob,

Are you sure the pamphlet is original to the box ?
I've seen many of those from all periods and they are all printed the 1/62 code .
Is it actually a date code ?
Also have I encountered many 1952-1953 Dunhill pipes in original boxes with "chronologically correct"
Royal Warrants.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Al,

Were can I retrieve the White Spot memo ?
I'm not sure what you are seeking.
I cannot find any definitive web reference as to the year Dunhill dropped their name and became "The White Spot". From memory, I thought it was 2014-2015. On Ebay, I find some 2012 year pipes stamped Dunhill, others The White Spot. 2011's on Ebay all say Dunhill. So 2012 must have been the transition year? And the number of Ebay pipes that don't have a nomemclature picture is MADDENING...

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Hello Bob,

Are you sure the pamphlet is original to the box ?
I've seen many of those from all periods and they are all printed the 1/62 code .
Is it actually a date code ?
Also have I encountered many 1952-1953 Dunhill pipes in original boxes with "chronologically correct"
Royal Warrants.
Don't know that at all, but the warrant is on the front of the pamphlet, and the back of the same pamphlet lists the Philadelphia store so it has to be from the early to mid 60's as the store was only open during that period.

This is the warrant for the 'Late King'

Bob

Dec 10, 2013
I thought the White Spot started in 2013-2014, but I guess not.
Some of these bidders missed the memo about White Spots not holding their value. However a somewhat rare shape (CK became the shape 29). A Ebay newbie put in the max bid, somewhat early.

You mentioned the memo about the WS pipes not holding their value, but where can I find the memo ?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
No memo (I'm not exactly sure where you would find a "memo"), just forum chatter on White Spots. Most Dunhill forum folks don't seem to enjoy them as much as the older pipes. And typically their resale is lower on Ebay, by my experience and observation.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
OK, this is nuts. Peterson Supreme's are great pipes, but $648 for a gold band XL90 is very high. The runner up made 13 bids before losing.
Screenshot_2020-08-06 VERY MINT Peterson's SUPREME XL90 BENT Irish Estate Pipe HALLMARKED 9K G...png

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
OK, this is nuts. Peterson Supreme's are great pipes, but $648 for a gold band XL90 is very high. The runner up made 13 bids before losing.
View attachment 38839
That birdseye is better than many Castello Occhio d Pernice graded pipes, and those can go for more $$. If you love amazing birdseye, this pipe has it. I suspect the birdseye was more of a factor than who carved it.

Dec 10, 2013
Affirmative. To my taste the ultimate, quintessential , often so very typical on british pipes , graining .
Perfectly mirrored cross grain and birdseye. Very , very noice.
Have one Ser Jacopo L3 pipe with a similar pattern.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
That birdseye is better than many Castello Occhio d Pernice graded pipes,
This cross-cut is stunning.
I went to eBay, checked the original listing and it looks just as good on the other side. There’s much I’ve likely missed but I don’t remember seeing better birdseye on a British made pipe recently.
As sable said, if birdseye is your thing then it’s not going to get much better in British wood.

Last edited:
Reactions: sablebrush52