PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Double +1 on the whole "I guess not so much" on pipe price drops. With the world situation I was expecting to see overall prices drop on estate/antique/artisan.....haven't been buying pipes with purpose since late last year and thought now would be a good time......not so much.. I can safely say I do not 'get' the demand-side of the pipe world!

Not particularly authoritative l, but estate prices seem to have held/gone up on many of the higher-volume sites as well. The pipe world has some mystery element of demand (international? A few mega-collectors?) I just haven't riddled out yet.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
I think the resiliency of used pipe prices has to do with who's been losing their jobs. It's mostly lower income people in service positions. I doubt they're the primary buyers of high end used pipes.

For sure on the point around the typical buying audience. Where I am surprised....and this may be pure confirmation bias based on where I look.... is that many artisan/antique estate prices seem like they are going up over the last few months. Given the world economic situation....even if unemployment is hitting a different audience than the higher-end buyer....I would have expected prices to still hold rather than rise. In several other 'niche vice markets I've see prices hold at worst, in pipes it 'seems' (again, could all be biased impression) to be going the other way.

Just in general, the demand side on pipes (impacting pricing) just is a little more opaque to me than other purchasing rabbit-holes. Bourbon/scotch, antique firearms, custom knives.....the ebbs and flows, and community that drives them, is all something that has domestic line of sight. The pipe market...where $1,000+ antiques/artisans fly out of inventory at multiple venues....I feel there is a segment of non-domestic (US) demand that is just not something on (my) radar. Or maybe higher-spend pipe collectors just don't 'advertise' on the interet/forums like same as other hobbies.......

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
We’re witnessing a classic flight-to-safety. People with assets are dumping securities, real estate, commodities and precious metals and doubling down on high grade pipes. The smart money is foreseeing the emergence of a barter economy based on the elite Danish carvers and the classic English factory pipes.

Last edited:
Three distressed Sasieni pipes ... none very valuable to most collectors. However, while not sought after, a Ten Dot is extremely rare. I have been searching for a ten dot for quite some time, and except one listed for sale on an Italian site and one owned by one of the members here ( @agnosticpipe ) I have not heard about anyone owning or selling these.
A claret is also required in a Sasieni Dots collection, and while this one is great distress, it is very cheap.
I am not good at restoring pipes, but I think I should be able to manage these. I think this was a steal. Fingers crossed till I receive them.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This gold band Peterson reproduction when a little higher than I had anticipated.

And this Blue Riband Extraordinaire, by a high profile seller sent a little on the low side.

Reactions: greeneyes
  • Wow
Reactions: burleyboy

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Wow, I just picked up an incredibly grained, barely smoked, crisply stamped, family era Viscount Lascelles for less than that.

Reactions: cshubhra

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Sasieni post transition pipe going for an astronomical sum! It’s a beautiful pipe BUT ...
The bids on the pipes of this seller always run high even if they start at $ 1 dollar. All his pipes are fully refurbished and come in mint condition. For me they are still more expensive because of the import charges I have to pay additionally. Last year I won a Charatan's Make 311DC dark relief ($ 107.50), a Charatan's Make Belvedere 391 ($ 139) and a Peterson's Sterling POY 2012 limited edition ($168.51). There was nothing left to do on the pipes but one must pay a high price for this quality.

Last edited:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Chance has been doing quite well lately. This is a very high price for a Cadogan era GBD.

Screenshot_2020-06-05 VERY MINT GBD LONDON MADE 360 FLAME GRAIN BENT APPLE ENGLISH Estate Pipe...png

The bids on the pipes of this seller always run high even if they start at $ 1 dollar. All his pipes are fully refurbished and come in mint condition. For me they are still more expensive because of the import charges I have to pay additionally. Last year I won a Charatan's Make 311DC dark relief ($ 107.50), a Charatan's Make Belvedere 391 ($ 139) and a Peterson's Sterling POY 2012 limited edition ($168.51). There was nothing left to do on the pipes but one must pay a high price for this quality.

Kottan

Apr 5, 2020
Chance has been doing quite well lately. This is a very high price for a Cadogan era GBD.

View attachment 32284
GBD pipes are not in my interest, but if there was a 'Buy It Now' button at this point in time I would hit it at once ......

But 6 days left, I guess this NOS Executive will go for $300 at least.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Reuben Charatan’s seem to be going for good money these days. Is this normal?

It was a Supreme grade.

Kottan

Apr 5, 2020
A Charatan Supreme advertised as 'quite possibly from the pre-Lane era', but it has a DC stem and the CP Logo from 1982.

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
That was an interesting piece. But I can't stop wondering why so many sellers don't make proper photos of the pipes' rims. This one has photos galore of the case alone, though.

Aug 1, 2012
That was an interesting piece. But I can't stop wondering why so many sellers don't make proper photos of the pipes' rims. This one has photos galore of the case alone, though.

I hear ya. The pipe itself and the amber stem are beautiful but what really confuses me is the listing being a strange amalgam of French and German.

Why is it called “The White Spot?”

Also very interesting ? It has an Amber stem.

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Why is it called “The White Spot?”

I don't know, but I've encountered several particularly very old Dunhill listings, which were branded with "The White Spot". This logo must be around for a very long time.

what really confuses me is the listing being a strange amalgam of French and German.

It was probably my fault, because I copied the link from ebay.de. This link should have no such problems:

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Early on, I too was avidly following this one--more out of curiosity than anything, and with many of the same questions as you did.

The condition of the rim was my first question. My second--since early editions of About Smoke offered amber (as well as tortoiseshell and ivory) mouthpieces as very expensive upgrade (calculated at how long an amber stem was wanted)--I was eager to get a better look at the stem. And especially since 1920s Dunhill catalogues clearly show a really attractive small black circle in place of the famous white spot.

Accordingly, it was maddening to only see the amber stem in profile.

Finally, also somewhat curious to me was the very plausible and precise date given of 1920 (which only quite a knowledgable seller would know)-- and how this didn't quite jib with so quite many pictures of the case, and so few useful ones of the pipe.

So, I wrote to the seller, who--to cut to the chase--reluctantly sent me a blurry photo of the rim (see below). And finally admitted (after not sending another picture) that the stem lacked a Dunhill spot of any kind.

I defer to the keen eye and expertise of my betters among the card carrying Duke Street irregulars here who'll have a far keener sense of Dunhill's distinctive way of hand-cutting stems. But this one didn't look quite right--even to me (judging from the button).

What actually is rather fun is that the case reveals that before Dunhill opened its own elegant shop on the Rue de la Paix, they were retailing pipes through the Paris shop of one of London's most venerable silversmiths (Mapping & Webb).

Attachments

• 24 bowl.jpg
    24 bowl.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 11
  • stem 1.jpg
    stem 1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 11