Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I'm sure many of you already saw this:

Amazing! I didn’t see that until now because I was too busy watching (and clearly underbidding) this:

😭😭😭

• Haha
Reactions: RustiePyles CPG
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I was so sure my $50 bid would win this. Unrelated, what's the best emoji to portray delusion?

I'm sure many of you already saw this:

Of course ! Also quite a surprise to learn that A is for "best quality " .
Silly me, I learn every day.

Dec 10, 2013
Joking aside; this is a fine set of very rare pipes and it looks to be in fair condition.
The seller is a kind and very cooperative gent, I purchased from him before.
This one was out of my reach, but I love it to bits.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Not Dunhill but at the time of the First World War, there were pipes stamped ‘S’ & sent to the front. S denoting service in the field or simply service. Think those particular pipes came from Allen & Wright.
Coming back to correct my post, while it’s still on my mind. The pipes I was trying to remember were actually stamped AS for ‘active service’.
IMG_7482.jpeg

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Coming back to correct my post, while it’s still on my mind. The pipes I was trying to remember were actually stamped AS for ‘active service’.
I wonder if the "A.S." was a point of advertising ("the lads at the front smoke them, so should you!"), or whether it was a call for family at home to have these smokers' goods forwarded to them at the front ("Note Name and Addresses"). Glad we've got one more "mysterious stamp" identified!

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I wonder if the "A.S." was a point of advertising ("the lads at the front smoke them, so should you!"), or whether it was a call for family at home to have these smokers' goods forwarded to them at the front ("Note Name and Addresses"). Glad we've got one more "mysterious stamp" identified!

My guess is the latter. It’s a not very subtle suggestion that this is the perfect gift to send your father/brother/son/husband who’s serving in the military.

I believe A&W also sold pipes stamped AWOL (“Absent Without Leave”) and D (“Deserter”), but these were much less popular as Christmas presents and few have survived.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I picked up this very quaint Quaint to join the family. The pipe has been carefully maintained, so wear is pretty minimal, and it arrived in clean condition. I love it when the carving hasn't been softened up by the over application of a buffer.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I picked up this very quaint Quaint to join the family. The pipe has been carefully maintained, so wear is pretty minimal, and it arrived in clean condition. I love it when the carving hasn't been softened up by the over application of a buffer.

That is a beautiful Quaint, Jesse. I think there is a other one, or at least there was, but I seem to recall that it was over-reamed.

Dec 10, 2013

Very sweet Jesse, I noticed this one. Congrats.