PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Looks like someone had second thoughts on selling this unsmoked 11s. Took it down a few hours after listing the auction.

Unsmoked Peterson 11s.

No, it will be back up. The seller is a friend who I contact regularly. I invited him to a Zoom that George D and I used to attend, and we discussed some restoration techniques with him, trying to help out. I sent him a note about this pipe, saying that the photos of the rim and chamber weren't so great for an unsmoked pipe, as they showed a lot of dark areas. I suspect he took it down to re-photograph those areas.

He's a good seller who treats his customers fantastic.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
No, it will be back up. The seller is a friend who I contact regularly. I invited him to a Zoom that George D and I used to attend, and we discussed some restoration techniques with him, trying to help out. I sent him a note about this pipe, saying that the photos of the rim and chamber weren't so great for an unsmoked pipe, as they showed a lot of dark areas. I suspect he took it down to re-photograph those areas.

Yeah I just got a nice pipe from Clayton and he seems like a great seller. My suspicion was that someone made him a really high offer on it but thanks for clarifying that it’s likely to reshoot photos.

Reactions: DrBryant

DrBryant

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2024
Houston, TX

Besides the resolution I thought the pictures looked great. I supposed I’d like to see the indentations left in the chamber from the finishing process (this head cold has driven from me the correct terminology).

It is a stunning pipe, I even made my wife sit and pore over the pictures.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Besides the resolution I thought the pictures looked great. I supposed I’d like to see the indentations left in the chamber from the finishing process (this head cold has driven from me the correct terminology).

It is a stunning pipe, I even made my wife sit and pore over the pictures.
Yes, I always show the lathe marks on unsmoked pipes. I mentioned that to him, so maybe that's the photo he's going to add. I bet he gets more $$$ for it with a lathe marks picture and one with a cleaner rim photo.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
This is weird. I just took another look at the photos in the 11S auction - that is NOT the pipe I was looking at when I sent him the note about the rim and lathe marks. I must have had two browser windows open. These pictures look great - no idea why he ended the auction other than perhaps my note and comments confused him (it would have confused me).

Reactions: AroEnglish

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This one went higher than I would have guessed. I wasn't familiar with Birks. Looks like a Comoy's COM, but the shape numbers isn't from the catalogs.

Reactions: orlandofurioso

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
This one went skyrocketing in the last seconds.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
This one went skyrocketing in the last seconds.

I'm surprised it didn't go higher. Although this is the third one to sell on ebay in the last two months, they aren't normally that common. And it's based on the X106 shape that was just used in the POTY and was also featured in the PetersonPipeNotes blog.

Here's a really rare one that sold yesterday. It's only the third documented Peterson 'Avon' example, and the first bulldog, although I'm sure there are others running around out there. It might be part of the series Peterson did in the late '40s or early '50s with English names. I have a couple of 'Croydon'-stamped pipes.

Peterson 'Avon' 046 Bulldog

s-l1600.png

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I'm surprised it didn't go higher. Although this is the third one to sell on ebay in the last two months, they aren't normally that common. And it's based on the X106 shape that was just used in the POTY and was also featured in the PetersonPipeNotes blog.

Here's a really rare one that sold yesterday. It's only the third documented Peterson 'Avon' example, and the first bulldog, although I'm sure there are others running around out there. It might be part of the series Peterson did in the late '40s or early '50s with English names. I have a couple of 'Croydon'-stamped pipes.

Peterson 'Avon' 046 Bulldog

s-l1600.png
I'd like to get one of those commemoratives. How high do you usually see them go???

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This was fun. Disney pipes don't come up that often, and unsmoked less so. This one has to be Charatan made, right?

And a Dunhill 120 (1969 I believe) just brought $137....with a Peterson P-lip stem.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
This was fun. Disney pipes don't come up that often, and unsmoked less so. This one has to be Charatan made, right?

And a Dunhill 120 (1969 I believe) just brought $137....with a Peterson P-lip stem.

A Dunhill with a P-lip... interesting. I'd try it.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

@brianlevine did you win this?