PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
And all this beauty comes from talent, skill, patience, ca glue and an egg crate :)
I DO use an egg box - I can get the stem to rest at almost any angle in those things while it dries! Sounds like you are familiar with that technique. I appreciate the compliments - I like to show the restoration results so that others will be confident that it's not so difficult. Plus, the 'after' photos look so much better than the ebay 'before' pics!

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Credit where credit is due :)
Same here; egg crate, often filled with rice to provide some stability for the stem.
Sometimes ca glue, more often StewMac black 2 part epoxy . Patience, more patience etc.
Emotional prepare to brace myself for disappointment, tissues for sweat and tears , elbow grease etc.
What I can do I do myself . Before pics matter, but I'm not much of a photographer and a lazy one for sure.
George is currently replacing the dot on one of my patent Tanshell Dunhill's with historically correct material, being celluloid. That takes skill and material I do not possess.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Credit where credit is due :)
Same here; egg crate, often filled with rice to provide some stability for the stem.
Sometimes ca glue, more often StewMac black 2 part epoxy . Patience, more patience etc.
Emotional prepare to brace myself for disappointment, tissues for sweat and tears , elbow grease etc.
What I can do I do myself . Before pics matter, but I'm not much of a photographer and a lazy one for sure.
George is currently replacing the dot on one of my patent Tanshell Dunhill's with historically correct material, being celluloid. That takes skill and material I do not possess.
You just helped me think :) - I fill my crossbow rest bags with rice but never thought of using it for stem rests, even though it's the same principle.

I bought some Urushi laquer as an alternative to black CA glue, but have not yet opened the package. It is supposed to match the hardness of vulcanite better, and also be undetectable (sometimes you get glossy areas with CA glue). I plan to try it the next time I repair a stem that is missing a chunk at the bit, as it is less brittle than CA glue, so less likely to break from clenchers.

• Love
Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
You just helped me think :) - I fill my crossbow rest bags with rice but never thought of using it for stem rests, even though it's the same principle.

I bought some Urushi laquer as an alternative to black CA glue, but have not yet opened the package. It is supposed to match the hardness of vulcanite better, and also be undetectable (sometimes you get glossy areas with CA glue). I plan to try it the next time I repair a stem that is missing a chunk at the bit, as it is less brittle than CA glue, so less
Those rubber-toughened CA glues look interesting.
Unfortunately not available this of the world.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I ordered this Bob Smith rubber-toughened CA glue, but haven't used it yet:

They also sell this, I'm not sure which is preferred. Both are IC-2000 glues. When I ordered the the one above, I didn't know they had options.

I believe the '2000' refers to viscosity. The stuff I have is 500. Here's some that is rubber-toughened 500: Lord of Bass 500 CA glue

It is a little cheaper on ebay (I just ordered some): 2oz Black Flex Medium CA Glue Bottle 500 CPS | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/274754348253

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Meanwhile studied a little on the Urushi-Laquer. Quite interesting material.
Please keep us posted once you tried it.
Is it "flexible" , I wonder.

The pipe restorer who suggested it to me (long phone conversation) said 'no' - that it's indistinguishable from the rest of the vulcanite stem.

I suppose now that I brought it up, I'll have to go find a trashed stem and give it a good try-out :)

Here you go @edger (are you manual, gas or electric?). This one doesn't show up often - it's the X160 stummel basically, as was the 2023 POTY. You might have seen the recent Franken-X160 that was auctioned recently on ebay.

1898-1998 Peterson Lip Celebration X61 (X160)

s-l1600.jpg