Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yes, assuming the screen door in question is attached to an Arts and Crafts era home. For mid-century modern house repairs I prefer to harvest wood from Nakashima furniture. Similarly I find fixin’ up Federal buildings greatly facilitated by having a pile of Duncan Phyfe debris handy.
There’s no debris quite like Duncan Phyfe debris.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Here's a Comoys with some unsual nomenclature. It is huge! We typically see the 804 Extraordinaire. On this pipe, the 802 number is stamped on the stem, I don't recall seeing that done.

View attachment 290684
View attachment 290685

I had intended on bidding on this pipe. Based on the increments the active bidders were entering before the auction’s end, I might’ve gotten it if I entered the bid that I was planning. However, being semi-responsible meant that the current allotted pipe budget got used up during IPSD and I refrained from going for this.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
If Barney Fife debris is an obscure scatological reference (which might account for the expression on Knotts’ face) please don’t explain any further.

Shame on you sir, for leading this thread grossly off topic.

Barney-yard humor :poop:

I find the following 1931 Dunhill intriguing. It seems to have the size of a 56, but the swan-neck of a 9 or 120. So I started digging around and found three examples on the internet of 1920's and 1930's Dunhills that were stamped 56/9. Some sort of an inbetween-shapes pipe? I have a 1924 '9' and we've seen plenty of 1930's 56 shapes, so 56/9 seems to be a shape in its own right.

1931 Dunhill’s Shell Made In England Estate Tobacco Pipe, No Reserve! | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/226006824442

s-l1600.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, I wanted that one until I saw that manhole tenon. Great eye to catch that shape anomaly.
Barney-yard humor :poop:

I find the following 1931 Dunhill intriguing. It seems to have the size of a 56, but the swan-neck of a 9 or 120. So I started digging around and found three examples on the internet of 1920's and 1930's Dunhills that were stamped 56/9. Some sort of an inbetween-shapes pipe? I have a 1924 '9' and we've seen plenty of 1930's 56 shapes, so 56/9 seems to be a shape in its own right.

1931 Dunhill’s Shell Made In England Estate Tobacco Pipe, No Reserve! | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/226006824442

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Well, I wanted that one until I saw that manhole tenon. Great eye to catch that shape anomaly.
Thanks. If I remember correctly, before they made pipes they were making filtered cigarettes, so it was a natural thing for them to have filter stems from the start.

I couldn't spot a shape number stamped on the ebay one I posted.
Here are the three 56/9 (stamped) Dunhills I found googling: 1924 from Pipedia, then a 1926 and a 1932 from old SmokingPipes sales:

ZAqJmKD.png

ZkBmGBf.jpeg
WCY5ebj.png

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A GBD that hits $500 is a rare occurrence. I've never seen this brand with a 9k gold cap, or a Prehistoric this old. The cap has to be original, right? The stem does not look like a 1920's button.

1708915950888.png

And this one came back to the seller. It hit $344 the first time, now $285.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Just a heads up. I purchased this pipe a month or so ago. I decided to return it because the pipe had been reamed to the point that I considered it risky to smoke it. The walls are incredibly thin. I mention it because the pipe has been relisted as being in "excellent condition."

Reactions: Toast and DrBryant

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Just a heads up. I purchased this pipe a month or so ago. I decided to return it because the pipe had been reamed to the point that I considered it risky to smoke it. The walls are incredibly thin. I mention it because the pipe has been relisted as being in "excellent condition."

Someone snatched it up quickly. That's a 1918 hallmark, right? How difficult is it to find WWI-era British pipes? I have a couple of 1917 Petersons, but nothing from Britain.

Reactions: AroEnglish

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A GBD that hits $500 is a rare occurrence. I've never seen this brand with a 9k gold cap, or a Prehistoric this old. The cap has to be original, right? The stem does not look like a 1920's button.

View attachment 291524

And this one came back to the seller. It hit $344 the first time, now $285.

The GBD is a very elegant piece, quite similar to a Delacour that I own. It's been shaped just enough to establish a hexagonal set of rough planes around the top. The lumpy unevenness really does feel prehistoric.
Original stem? Who knows? Looking at the stem highlight tells me that it's had some work done on it. $500 is a very good result, but keep in mind that the pipe is quite unique

Reactions: AroEnglish
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
The GBD is a very elegant piece, quite similar to a Delacour that I own. It's been shaped just enough to establish a hexagonal set of rough planes around the top. The lumpy unevenness really does feel prehistoric.
Original stem? Who knows? Looking at the stem highlight tells me that it's had some work done on it. $500 is a very good result, but keep in mind that the pipe is quite unique
The stem is almost as lumpy as the pipe... Maybe that's what they were going for 🤷‍♂️I would be hesitant say its original, it looks like a premolded stem that's been poorly necked down to fit a small army mount.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Okay, since I might be responsible for killing this thread by posting a 'not so interesting' Peterson, I'll try to revive it with this 1905-06 GBD. My guess is that the stem was exposed to heat and lost its shape.

Vintage GBD AO Speciale Wood Grain Pipe Sterling Silver Band W/ Case | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/226005100605

s-l1600.jpg
This turned out to be a nice pipe. The main problem wasn't that hole in the side, or the stem that had straightened out, but rather the bit - both sides were a wreck. Not a pipe for an ebay flipper sandpaper restorer.

dRduVmD.png

nLHE0sg.jpeg

6BQbqfw.jpeg