PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I hope the one from ebay that I showed has a 'correct' stem, as I bought it. The date code and model number were unreadable, but I'm banking on it being a WWII-era pipe.

Vintage Clean Dunhill Pipe Apple Shape | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/204643019511

This one arrived the other day and was anything but "clean". Turned out to be a 1936 with a beat-to-heck fishtail (wrong) stem that does not have the convex part at the base of the tenon.

I restored the stem with CA glue (top pic), added Fiebing's maroon to the remaining brown original stain to get a pretty good match to another 1936 plum Dunhill I have, and was lucky enough to have a more appropriate non-fishtail stem that fit it nicely (bottom pic).

Got a great 30 minute smoke out of it this morning.

7q2J0RD.jpeg

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
This one arrived the other day and was anything but "clean". Turned out to be a 1936 with a beat-to-heck fishtail (wrong) stem that does not have the convex part at the base of the tenon.

I restored the stem with CA glue (top pic), added Fiebing's maroon to the remaining brown original stain to get a pretty good match to another 1936 plum Dunhill I have, and was lucky enough to have a more appropriate non-fishtail stem that fit it nicely (bottom pic).

Got a great 30 minute smoke out of it this morning.

7q2J0RD.jpeg
Gorgeous pipe.
So you first restored the stem and then replaced it ?
Amazing improvement; how did you manage a so perfect fit ( given the tenon size etc. ) ?

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
So are you saying I shouldn’t have decoupaged my Basquiats to the walls of my garage?
Are you implying that I shouldn't be grinding up family era Sasieni's and Duke St Dunhills for briar dust to fix the fills in my Medicos?🥴

If you need to decoupage your garage walls, please use nothing more valuable than Haring's.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to finish cutting up these Stickley chairs for wood to repair a screen door.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Now if you'll excuse me, I have to finish cutting up these Stickley chairs for wood to repair a screen door.

Yes, assuming the screen door in question is attached to an Arts and Crafts era home. For mid-century modern house repairs I prefer to harvest wood from Nakashima furniture. Similarly I find fixin’ up Federal buildings greatly facilitated by having a pile of Duncan Phyfe debris handy.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I once knew a guy who, in a non-discriminatory manner, literally burned up numerous Dunhill's by overpacking them pyramid like.
He then burned down the bowl untill the height of it was reduced to the point it cracked.
When I asked, he told me he did so because he "liked the taste so much ".
He was a kind gent, but I distanced my self from him, unable to witness such a massacre.
It gave me nightmares.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AroEnglish
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Yes, assuming the screen door in question is attached to an Arts and Crafts era home. For mid-century modern house repairs I prefer to harvest wood from Nakashima furniture. Similarly I find fixin’ up Federal buildings greatly facilitated by having a pile of Duncan Phyfe debris handy.
Naturally, one should never mix A&C with MCM... The reaction between fumed oak and oiled walnut or teak can create a paint peeling socially suicidal gas known as Decorfauxpasium...

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I once knew a guy who, in a non-discriminatory manner, literally burned up numerous Dunhill's by overpacking them pyramid like.
He then burned down the bowl untill the height of it was reduced to the point it cracked.
When I asked, he told me he did so because he "liked the taste so much ".
He was a kind gent, but I distanced my self from him, unable to witness such a massacre.
It gave me nightmares.
You should have written lyrics for Cream! (the above twisted my brain into a knot, similar to 'Pressed rat and warthog' :LOL: )

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Gorgeous pipe.
So you first restored the stem and then replaced it ?
Amazing improvement; how did you manage a so perfect fit ( given the tenon size etc. ) ?
Thanks! It actually looks better now. I polished it with micromesh pads, then did three applications of Hooverpen's new B&A Balm - if you ever used it for finish before, you'll really love the improvements he made.

Yes, I restored the beat-up fishtail just because I couldn't stand the looks of it and wasn't going to throw it away. It was a LOT of work - if I ever unload the pipe I'll include it, as it's old and saw a lot of smoking action with that stummel. For the 'new' stem I just lucked out. I have two bags of old Dunhill stems (some fake), and every now and then I get lucky. I just needed a touch of black CA glue around the tenon for a perfect fit.

• Love
Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Thanks! It actually looks better now. I polished it with micromesh pads, then did three applications of Hooverpen's new B&A Balm - if you ever used it for finish before, you'll really love the improvements he made.

Yes, I restored the beat-up fishtail just because I couldn't stand the looks of it and wasn't going to throw it away. It was a LOT of work - if I ever unload the pipe I'll include it, as it's old and saw a lot of smoking action with that stummel. For the 'new' stem I just lucked out. I have two bags of old Dunhill stems (some fake), and every now and then I get lucky. I just needed a touch of black CA glue around the tenon for a perfect fit.

When did the balm formulation change and how is it different? I’ve found the wood darkens some with the version I have. I use it on many pipes, but not all because of this.

Reactions: orlandofurioso

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
When did the balm formulation change and how is it different? I’ve found the wood darkens some with the version I have. I use it on many pipes, but not all because of this.
I received my new container a couple of months ago. The first time I bought it was 2-3 years ago, and I never noticed a change until this new container. I've never noticed that either darkened wood. In fact, if I rub it in over the original finish, the stummel often looks lighter because of all the nastiness cleaned off it.

The only change in results is that it works better as a finish now. The old stuff was great for cleaning stummels without removing original finish, but if the finish was poor it only shined it up a little.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's a Comoys with some unsual nomenclature. It is huge! We typically see the 804 Extraordinaire. On this pipe, the 802 number is stamped on the stem, I don't recall seeing that done.

1708654935493.png
1708654981494.png

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
So are you saying I shouldn’t have decoupaged my Basquiats to the walls of my garage
If you need to decoupage your garage walls, please use nothing more valuable than Haring's.

Decoupage? Decoupage? I’ve been burning strips of my Keith Haring to make ash for pipe mud to use in my Peterson Ebony Spigots! Why didn’t you guys tell me I’ve been doing it all wrong?

20240223_004431.jpg

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
All our Harings mysteriously disappeared during the Great Toilet Paper Shortage in the Spring of 2020. A few de Koonings went missing too. That was before the obvious struck us and we realized one Rosenquist could see our entire town through a hundred toilet paper shortages.