PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
What I don't get is why ebay doesn't forbid specifying Global Shipping for restricted items being shipped from the UK to the U.S. Not doing so just creates more bad vibes toward ebay, especially given that we've identified this as being a Pitney-Bowes scam that ebay 'appears to be' a partner in. Ebay needs to untangle themselves from this. Ebay is refunding the buyers and letting the seller keep their money, so either Pitney-Bowes is paying ebay a lot off money to allow this, or ebay is flat-out blind.
right, on first blush, it doesn't seem to pay Ebay to maintain this practice. I assume the shipping rates for items that do successfully ship, have such a high profit margin, they are covering what appears to be a loss here.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
THIS has GOT to set some sort of a record for this line of Barling pipes:

There's a clear duel going on between two determined collectors over a pipe that is a quite stunning example of a Barling Guinea Grain. Looking at their bid history makes it clear that both are actual bidders and not game players.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
THIS has GOT to set some sort of a record for this line of Barling pipes:

There's a clear duel going on between two determined collectors over a pipe that is a quite stunning example of a Barling Guinea Grain. Looking at their bid history makes it clear that both are actual bidders and not game players.
Yeah, two guys want something and this happens. Thursday I was bidding in an online Australia auction for meerschaum pipes, and a carving that normally goes for $300 or less on ebay, went for over $2,000. Neither bidder was willing to 'lose'. But the winner definitely lost.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Jesus Christ and General Jackson! At that price I’d cheerfully cough up a couple of Guinea Grains and throw in one of my kidneys to boot.

Incidentally, little known fact: Barling actually trademarked Guinea Grain in 1922, but if one has survived that predates the model’s relaunch ~1953 I’ve never seen it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Jesus Christ and General Jackson! At that price I’d cheerfully cough up a couple of Guinea Grains and throw in one of my kidneys to boot.

Incidentally, little known fact: Barling actually trademarked Guinea Grain in 1922, but if one has survived that predates the model’s relaunch ~1953 I’ve never seen it.
Sort of like with the Fossil trademark, 1928, IIRC.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Wasn't sure what to make of this auction - I thought the MM might be a Comoy's, but unsure. It has 'Made' over 'England' with 'In' in the middle, football shape, gold band, raised blue bar. All pipes are tiny - MM is 4 5/8". LHS Educator also has a gold band. GBD New Era also seems very old. No date hallmarks.

5 Piece Smoking Pipe Collection 14k Gold Band Figural Dog Sterling Monogram | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/126377295334

s-l1600.jpg

cpcT5pw.jpg

Last edited:

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I picked this up. I can’t remember if saseini made the briar cut pipes for bewlay, or if they stamped their ones with a V. Even if not, I’m not too worried

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I picked this up. I can’t remember if saseini made the briar cut pipes for bewlay, or if they stamped their ones with a V. Even if not, I’m not too worried

Heckuva deal. I have Bewlay pipes made by Comoy's and by Barling. Another strange one I had, really looked like a Kaywoodie but there is no documented history of Kaywoodie making pipes for them.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece

the blast looks very much like a Sasieni to me

Groot5225

Might Stick Around
Feb 3, 2023

rokerdepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
www.ericstendal.com

dPero

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2022