PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Re:The Ben Wade- What might cause the odd "finish" on this panel?

s-l1600.jpg
Dirt, grease, smoke, and lots of it. I've cleaned up far worse.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, I did put finish in quotes! I think George-the-sleuth nailed it. Looking to Jon to publish the research on the type of vinegar and the manufacturer's history if it predates 1870.

Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Hardcastle dating is notoriously tricky. Any idea when the set was made?
Not really, but should be ( according to Pipedia ) a Family Period Grade.
The graining much resembles my 1950 Dunhill DRR set and some of my pipes from the fourties and fifties , but I know next to nothing about grain.
I fancied this set, but could not be online :(

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Another LC goes down, 39 bids. I don't follow Dunhills, but don't recall an LC in this era.

skaukatt

Can't Leave
Oh, boy, Holy Grail material, right here! How I would love it but I would think this is going to explode.

COMOY'S 1930's OLD BRUYERE CHUBBY RHODESIAN SHAPE 499 ESTATE PIPE W/3 PIECE "C"Comoy 499.png

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Oh, boy, Holy Grail material, right here! How I would love it but I would think this is going to explode.

COMOY'S 1930's OLD BRUYERE CHUBBY RHODESIAN SHAPE 499 ESTATE PIPE W/3 PIECE "C"
To keep them from exploding we generally wait until after the auction is completed before posting them.

Reactions: orlandofurioso

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I agree to that! I'm sorry if I broke protocol, I would never. Just got so excited about this pipe, I spit the bit!!! Calling SSJones, LOL! We both love this shape!
That example is very worn - nomenclature, the button in particular, so bid accordingly (I suspect it will still do well). I sold my 499, it was just too big. I prefer the more petite shape 284. But, the 499 sure is sexy! (like a plus-figure super model!)

• Haha
Reactions: mingc

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
That example is very worn - nomenclature, the button in particular, so bid accordingly (I suspect it will still do well). I sold my 499, it was just too big. I prefer the more petite shape 284. But, the 499 sure is sexy! (like a plus-figure super model!)
Todd really buffs the daylights out of them and really “oils” them up for photos.

His presentation is second to none.

Some of his details/narratives are a little loose though.

Reactions: guylesss