PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
That example is very worn - nomenclature, the button in particular, so bid accordingly (I suspect it will still do well). I sold my 499, it was just too big. I prefer the more petite shape 284. But, the 499 sure is sexy! (like a plus-figure super model!)
And schmeered with mineral oil...

Reactions: jpmcwjr

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Another LC goes down, 39 bids. I don't follow Dunhills, but don't recall an LC in this era.

Given that Dunhill "rationalized" its model names about this time, this would have to be among the very last examples of a pipe actually stamped "LC." I am sure that's worth something (to someone), but $2130+tax?

Reactions: Papamique and jguss

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Meanwhile, speaking of oversized Dunhill shell bents of recent manufacture commanding an impressive, head-shaking price ($3169.57+tax) this weekend, there was also this cased "magnum."View attachment 169167View attachment 169168

P T Barnum was a sage.

Rodrigo can turn a pipe green and it will still sell for a top price. I wish he would at least buy some full spectrum fluorescents instead of the shit he's using for his soft tent.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Good question. I do know that the name Delacour, as well as the names DBL, Delco, and Delfit were all controlled by Delco Briars Ltd from 1938 on. but as you say to determine whether Delacour was actually stamped on pipes we'd need to look at contemporary trade advertisements or articles. Unfortunately in my case most of what I have that might speak to that question is inaccessible for a while.
A very late reply, but I just saw this and thought you and @greeneyes would find of interest. From what I can tell from the pics the date letter is 1921. I’ll post better pics when it lands

94210003-2FCC-4A7B-BF6B-3A56F0ADFBCF.jpeg

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
  • Haha
Reactions: orlandofurioso

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
P T Barnum was a sage.

Rodrigo can turn a pipe green and it will still sell for a top price. I wish he would at least buy some full spectrum fluorescents instead of the shit he's using for his soft tent.
They are better than past years, but still only eight pictures and no good close-ups.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The 499 did pretty well, given the worn condition.

This one also raised my eyebrow. A not particuarly desirable Comoy's shape. But un-smmoked Comoy's don't show up often.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa

This one also raised my eyebrow. A not particuarly desirable Comoy's shape. But un-smmoked Comoy's don't show up often.

The 499 had my attention but I kept looking at the Peterson 999 I was lucky to buy from someone on here and just no comparison! ;)

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands

It is the deadmanspipes customer virus that has spread and makes his followers happily overpay
for his offers. In my humble opinion of course.

Reactions: ashdigger

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You & Jesse are right of course, but from Rodrigo’s point of view if it ain’t broke why fix it?
Yep, his clients don't seem to mind (which of course indicates trust). Selfishly, I'd love to see the nomenclature of some of his rarer offerings. I've purchased from Rodridgo in the past and the pipes have been in better condition than shown in the pictures.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
It seems obvious to me that Todd doesn't scrub the dirt out of the nomenclature before he buries it under wax. He tries to make things look fresher than new, but, skips this detail that just shows the pipe is old and didn't get cleaned up 100%.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It is the deadmanspipes customer virus that has spread and makes his followers happily overpay
for his offers. In my humble opinion of course.
All this does, in my humble opinion, is prove my contention that presentation is paramount when listing on ebay. Todd does a first rate job of presentation.

Regarding the speculation here that he's doping his pipes in some way to get that shine, that's ridiculous. I can get that same level of shine with Paragon and my bare hands. It's all in the touch. Some of us got it Some of us don't.

Todd was mentored by Jeff Gracik, so no surprise his offerings look good. Careful lighting to pop contrast, and a wee bit of a contrast boost to the image. Bingo!

Rodrigo gets top prices with his minimalist approach, though the quality of his photography has gone way, way, down. But his market has been solid. Now at least, he cleans his pipes. Years ago when I occasionally bought one of his, it was filthy.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
All this does, in my humble opinion, is prove my contention that presentation is paramount when listing on ebay. Todd does a first rate job of presentation.

Regarding the speculation here that he's doping his pipes in some way to get that shine, that's ridiculous. I can get that same level of shine with Paragon and my bare hands. It's all in the touch. Some of us got it Some of us don't.

Todd was mentored by Jeff Gracik, so no surprise his offerings look good. Careful lighting to pop contrast, and a wee bit of a contrast boost to the image. Bingo!

Rodrigo gets top prices with his minimalist approach, though the quality of his photography has gone way, way, down. But his market has been solid. Now at least, he cleans his pipes. Years ago when I occasionally bought one of his, it was filthy.
+1

Todd was mentored by Jeff Gracik, so no surprise his offerings look good

In my experience, both are also great people to deal with.

Reactions: orlandofurioso

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Based on my purchases, I agree completely.

Same for Rodrigo. He purchased and resold from me a GBD 9438. His pictures showed no change (but his auction brought less than my BIN price that he paid)