If There Were No Nicotine in Pipe Tobacco...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
If the blend tasted the same there’s no doubt I’d continue to smoke it sans-nicotine.

When I was very heavily into home brewing beer one of my laments was
that many of the bigger styles I enjoyed brewing were also high alc. I drink for flavor, not to get buzzed. Everyone’s an adult and makes their own decisions.

Mar 1, 2014

At any other juncture in history this conversation never would have happened.
At face value the concept of Tobacco without Nicotine is ridiculous, but it is also necessary.

Yes, denial, people who think they're not going to be affected by the coming changes is in denial.
Even possession of Tobacco can be outlawed, right now anyone in Canada who possesses more than 1Kg of tobacco can be jailed six months for it.
Just because extreme restrictions don't apply to you now doesn't mean they won't in the future.

You say the death of the industry doesn't bother you because you have your supply, but that's not how it works. Anything can be taken away if enough people are against it.

• Wow
Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
If the blend tasted the same there’s no doubt I’d continue to smoke it sans-nicotine.

When I was very heavily into home brewing beer one of my laments was
that many of the bigger styles I enjoyed brewing were also high alc. I drink for flavor, not to get buzzed. Everyone’s an adult and makes their own decisions.
I love nicotine and alcohol drinks................I don't like getting drunk. I like to enjoy the moment...............The last time I got drunk was 17 years. Celebrating my finish training course, in the army.....

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
At face value the concept of Tobacco without Nicotine is ridiculous, but it is also necessary.

Yes, denial, people who think they're not going to be affected by the coming changes is in denial.
Even possession of Tobacco can be outlawed, right now anyone in Canada who possesses more than 1Kg of tobacco can be jailed six months for it.
Just because extreme restrictions don't apply to you now doesn't mean they won't in the future.

You say the death of the industry doesn't bother you because you have your supply, but that's not how it works. Anything can be taken away if enough people are against it.
Can you point me to the statute limiting ownership of tobacco to 1kg? I’ve been unable to find any mention of it.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe

I belive that the future is on this path. The neighbor will denounce to you when he smell like smoke..........It will be a real circus....s-38.gif

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
When tobacco is outlawed only outlaws will have tobacco or was it guns...!!! LOL!

It is odd that tactics to limit humans have always failed, but it continues to be tried. No, I do not want to smell your second hand smoke, but what you do is your business.

I choose to smoke outside and I am single and own my home. I do not want the inside of the house to smell like smoke. The pipes themselves can stink.

A friend said part of the reason humans smoke is the affinity of making and maintaining a fire. Smoking, cooking, camp fires and wood stoves can be such a delight. So, it's not, for me, just nicotine or a lack thereof.

Escessive smoke from a wood stove comes from wood not properly dried. Here is a wonderful resource for those who burn wood. A non-commercial service in support of responsible home heating with wood - woodheat.org home . Yet, some are against smoke in any form.

Reactions: JOHN72

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
I love nicotine and alcohol drinks................I don't like getting drunk. I like to enjoy the moment...............The last time I got drunk was 17 years. Celebrating my finish training course, in the army.....
I have always been drawn to substances that alter ones state - Nicotine, Valium, Vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy and alcohol. Cocaine.

Wait this might be the wrong thread for this post...,

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
When tobacco is outlawed only outlaws will have tobacco or was it guns...!!! LOL!

It is odd that tactics to limit humans have always failed, but it continues to be tried. No, I do not want to smell your second hand smoke, but what you do is your business.

I choose to smoke outside and I am single and own my home. I do not want the inside of the house to smell like smoke. The pipes themselves can stink.

A friend said part of the reason humans smoke is the affinity of making and maintaining a fire. Smoking, cooking, camp fires and wood stoves can be such a delight. So, it's not, for me, just nicotine or a lack thereof.

Escessive smoke from a wood stove comes from wood not properly dried. Here is a wonderful resource for those who burn wood. A non-commercial service in support of responsible home heating with wood - woodheat.org home . Yet, some are against smoke in any form.
That not guns or tobacco it's clones. If you outlaw clones only out laws will have clones. (stole that from Sifl and Olly and plan on making a teeshirt out of it. It will have that text at the top and then a cartoon burglar with the stripped shirt and burglar mask slash goodie bag.
I don't think smoking is going to be banned any time soon. Certainly limited. But it's too much part of the culture. That seems to be the measure not how scary or disliked a thing is but how unknown. The biggest warning sign if something is going to be banned is seriously it being strongly associated with another culture (seriously if you look at the history of banned substances that's nearly always the first step). If tobacco does get banned one thing you can almost be sure of is we won't miss a beat and tobacco clinics will show up right away. Why because it's got medicinal uses thankfully for us mainly psychological (people call it relaxing).
Though there was one time tobacco was banned really severely too coffee too almost. Mention that too people and they'll always be shocked. See the thing is to get something banned it seems it has to dramatically change behavior or be the ruling of a monarch. Notice the laws about smoking are all about doing it around other people not doing it to yourself. Now if people start running other people over because they're fiddling with pipes and cigarettes then maybe we should worry.

Aug 1, 2012
Admittedly I haven't read all 8 pages of this thread yet. However, reading the last couple pages, I was forced to call my uncle and found out that in fact hell had frozen over. The cause was that the thread seems to have stayed on topic...

Incidentally, I find it funny that a mod changed the title, admonished the poster regarding rule 9 and then did not capitalize the second word. Sounds like something I would do (take that for what it's worth).

Aug 1, 2012
Oh yeah, almost forgot to get back on topic.

I would enjoy it the same as the nicotine has never been a deterrent or a perk.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
<< Snipped bits out >>

Incidentally, I find it funny that a mod changed the title, admonished the poster regarding rule 9 and then did not capitalize the second word. Sounds like something I would do (take that for what it's worth).
Pointing one to rule 9 is hardly an admonishment! It's s.o.p.. Apologies if he felt singled out.

The second word, being not important, was left uncapitalized on purpose. A perhaps poor editorial judgement!
FWIW: I agonized over that- should "were" be lower cased instead? Should they both be lowercased? None?

Aug 1, 2012
Pointing one to rule 9 is hardly an admonishment! It's s.o.p.. Apologies if he felt singled out.

The second word, being not important, was left uncapitalized on purpose. A perhaps poor editorial judgement!
FWIW: I agonized over that- should "were" be lower cased instead? Should they both be lowercased? None?
Sorry, it came across more cranky than intended. Hence the statement "something I would do". I was just amused, nothing more. Speaking of something I would do, I believe admonish was too strong of a word for the situation.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Late to the party

Based on my smoking habits I would say it it PRIMARILY for flavor. I avoid blends that don't taste right to me but have high nicotine.

I would say nicotine is clearly a factor, especially in frequency. Maybe 65% flavor, 35% nicotine?

The same question can it be applied to coffee or tea. I do drink those things for the caffeine as well as flavor.

I believe this in large part because I avoid crappy forms of it and do drink decaf coffee and decaf tea frequently, especially in the evenings.