If There Were No Nicotine in Pipe Tobacco...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
Makes me wonder what percentage of tobacco sales go to the cigarette market. If it's high enough, ceasing cigarette production may be disastrous enough to put producers out of business leaving all tobacco users out in the cold.
Tobacco companies aren't going anywhere. They're going to take over the vape market, they're already doing it. Vaping is the future of smoking. The fluid is cheap and easy to make and you can pass the costs of coils and pens right to the consumer. In fact, it's even more lucrative because the pens are not cheap and they don't last forever. I'm sure soon we'll see luxury vaping products too. You can already get the things custom made! Just imagine what that will look like with big tobacco money!

Sounds awful I know, but I really don't think this will crater tobacco production. There is simply too much demand for cigars, and I'm sure the whole world isn't going to ban cigarettes. If tobacco companies are smart, and they are, they'll see the opportunity to expand their other markets. I'm sure some research will finally go into alternative tobacco products too.

Besides, if cigarettes were banned tomorrow how would it affect pipe tobacco sales? Probably see a boost as all the members of pipesmag go on a hoarding spree!

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
I'll also submit that anyone who claims to not be addicted to nicotine while smoking a pipe doesn't know how addiction works. Taste, habit, nostalgia, whatever reason you give - you're describing nicotine addiction!

The mind is a funny thing and has a neat way of lying to you to get what it wants. Most people will never know they're fibbing themselves, that's how suave a liar your brain can be.

If you don't believe me, then quit smoking your pipe for a month. I'm not going to try because I know I can't. I'd say I don't want to, and I don't, but all that is saying is hey, my brain tells me I like smoking for X reason so it can continue to get nicotine.

This isn't a condemnation, just facts. I'm sure a lot of people will say I'm wrong and they're not making up reasons for why they smoke. All I can say is that those people really believe themselves (and that's okay).

Reactions: Chasing Embers

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I'll also submit that anyone who claims to not be addicted to nicotine while smoking a pipe doesn't know how addiction works. Taste, habit, nostalgia, whatever reason you give - you're describing nicotine addiction!

The mind is a funny thing and has a neat way of lying to you to get what it wants. Most people will never know they're fibbing themselves, that's how suave a liar your brain can be.

If you don't believe me, then quit smoking your pipe for a month. I'm not going to try because I know I can't. I'd say I don't want to, and I don't, but all that is saying is hey, my brain tells me I like smoking for X reason so it can continue to get nicotine.

This isn't a condemnation, just facts. I'm sure a lot of people will say I'm wrong and they're not making up reasons for why they smoke. All I can say is that those people really believe themselves (and that's okay).
We're addicted to the traditional, to the genuine...............?

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA

You're wrong to generalize to everyone. You say “just facts” and then pretend to read other people’s minds. No mind reader deals in facts.

I smoked cigarettes in my twenties and know the addiction. Quit cold turkey for decades, no regrets, no thought about it. Took up an occasional pipe for fun, and do put it down for weeks at a time when it gets too cold.

These ideas sound like someone who’s starting their alcohol recovery and assuming everyone who drinks is an alcoholic.

There is always a risk of addiction, just like with alcohol, gambling, or anything else. Some people can manage it, some can’t.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I think I would, I don’t usually like the blends that have a too high nic hit anyway. Like some others already said it, I smoke for the ritual, the peaceful moment (maybe it has something to do with the nicotine though, although many studies studies show that the “aaaah” relaxing effect of smoking is actually the feeling of “getting a much wanted fix” rather than being an effect of the nicotine.

what I personally find really relaxing is simply connected to the fact that in order to smoke a pipe one has to considerably calm the breathing and through very slow puffing can one only really enjoy one’s pipe.

I’d smoke even without nicotine in the tobacco... me thinks.

Reactions: JOHN72

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
You're wrong to generalize to everyone. You say “just facts” and then pretend to read other people’s minds. No mind reader deals in facts.

I smoked cigarettes in my twenties and know the addiction. Quit cold turkey for decades, no regrets, no thought about it. Took up an occasional pipe for fun, and do put it down for weeks at a time when it gets too cold.

These ideas sound like someone who’s starting their alcohol recovery and assuming everyone who drinks is an alcoholic.

There is always a risk of addiction, just like with alcohol, gambling, or anything else. Some people can manage it, some can’t.
So you smoke a pipe for fun? This is exactly what I was talking about. If you didn't have a nicotine addiction, you wouldn't smoke. So you can manage it, that's fine. Doesn't change anything.