If There Were No Nicotine in Pipe Tobacco...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
Edit: Rule Nine. Capitalization of important words.
(Also changed tense of verb.)

If there was no nicotine in pipe tobacco would you still smoke. Or would you smoke less? What about other people would there be a decline in pipe smoking.

Last edited by a moderator:

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
I've never noticed any effect of nicotine from pipe tobacco, so heck yes I would still smoke. I smoke for flavor and a moment of relaxation away from my busy life. I also have never understood the allure of nicotine. What is the point anyway? Is there a reason people are into it other than because they're addicted and constantly crave it?

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
I enjoy the nicotine from certain blends, I find it adds to the relaxation factor of smoking. There are a fair number that I don't notice the effects at all, which is not to say it isn't playing out any role in the experience. I would probably smoke less, as I do view it as a positive part of the process at times. That being said it is not the driving force behind whether it is time to light up a bowl either.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
I am not sure about 2021. If your no nicotine idea were occurring in my experiences from the 1960s through perhaps 2000, then I would say yes..... because it was always fun and enjoyable to me during those times. Since 2000 or so, the anti-smoking sentiment has been so strong that I am not sure what I would or would not do in that scenario.

I do suspect though, since I do enjoy nicotine, the lack of it would in any case dramatically reduce my indulgence.

Merton

Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Yes as the pleasure in pipe smoking, at least for me, has nothing to do with nicotine and much more to with the beauty of pipes, the ritual and, most importantly, the flavor of the blend and the solitude, reflection and comfort it provides. Otherwise, you might as well simply chew nicotine gum.

LOREN

Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
I think pipe smoking is a relaxing and flavorful way for me to get nicotine, which I always have enjoyed. I've tried but never enjoyed cigarettes or cigars. I enjoy flavored Skoal if I'm somewhere I can't smoke, so I probably wouldn't smoke anymore. I've seen this question asked frequently about drinks with alcohol.

Reactions: JOHN72

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
No offense, but I find this funny. Most folks around here smoke the other leaf when they want to relax.

Isn't nicotine a stimulant?
No offense taken.....everyone's experience with any drug is different. Yes it is a stimulant, but not 1 that gets me all wound up. People often talk of pipe smoking being thoughtful/contemplative. The warm glow from the nic helps me get to that same place. My mind is often racing, and unsettled, so the feeling gives me something simple to focus on. The end result is relaxing whether it is supposed to be, or not. The other leaf is not for me these days.

We all get nicotine from tobacco although the effects may not be overtly apparent. I don't know if I would continue to smoke or not because I have no experience smoking anything that doesn't have nicotine.
That was my thought too. Probably not. I'd probably switch to cigars.
I think about those flavored vape things that some folks chose to get without nicotine, just taste. I'm not sure I understand that.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Well, no one starts out wanting nicotine, it is something else that's the draw. Something gets one's attention initially, but it is not nicotine.

And, some smoke often and some don't. If you find yourself thinking about smoking first thing after waking, there is a reason. Others never think about it, but just like the taste or building a smoldering fire, that's just fine as well. Fire is relaxing, or can be if controlled and contained.....LOL!!

And, some smoke often and some don't. If you find yourself thinking about smoking first thing after waking, there is a reason. Others never think about it, but just like the taste or building a smoldering fire, that's just fine as well. Fire is relaxing, or can be if controlled and contained.....LOL!!
I'm just here for the whole kit and kubootle. I mean, if the other option was to just have pure nicotine with no flavor, no stink, no taste, I wouldn't be interested in that either. It's about balance and harmony. All that kinda stuff.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I absolutely would. I actually looked around for a nicotine free smoking mixture when I started, but found nothing that looked interesting.

Reactions: Kingsley