If There Were No Nicotine in Pipe Tobacco...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
And that is why reviews of the flavor of anything are inconsequential. Taste is far too subjective.
The context was in response to someone who suggested it was the alcohol content and not taste that draws us toward the particular beverage.

There is something about using a pipe to smoke tobacco that is not the same as a cigarette, cigar, or smokless tobacco. It has been written too much over the years not to be true.

What I read in this thread is a whole bunch of... “I smoke for THIS reason, thus everyone must be like me.”
I think the evidence in this thread shows that this is not true. Some make smoke just because they like the taste, some because they want the affectation of a pipe, some for the feeling, some for a fix, some to self medicate, some because of the history, some for the art of it, some because of reasons they can’t put into words.

Ultimately, we are all here doing this for our own reasons.
And, clearly not everyone would be happy with whatever THING we would smoke without nicotine. This is all speculation anyways, because even the goopiest aromatics has nicotine. There is no blend of tobacco that is nicotine free. However, head shops have herbal mixtures of lobelia that is close to tobacco without the nicotine. But, I don’t see swarms of people lining up to trade their tobaccos for that stuff.

All in all do what you want.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
True we all have our perceptions and opinions, and I’ve not thought anyone was trying to communicate their way is the only way.

I wouldn’t want to go back to wanting a chew first thing before coffee. And, if I thought this was going to happen with pipe smoking, I’d quit today.

Mar 1, 2014
It would be like drinking alcohol-free......Whisky..........Rum, Cognac, Brandy......Your favorite beer.........It would be horrible............Like Harley Davidson electric........................
If it were possible to get the same flavor without the alcohol I would only buy alcohol free Whiskey.
Unlike the Nicotine in Tobacco, alcohol carries the oils that give Whiskey its flavor.

Reactions: JOHN72
Mar 1, 2014
What I read in this thread is a whole bunch of... “I smoke for THIS reason, thus everyone must be like me.”
I think the evidence in this thread shows that this is not true. Some make smoke just because they like the taste, some because they want the affectation of a pipe, some for the feeling, some for a fix, some to self medicate, some because of the history, some for the art of it, some because of reasons they can’t put into words.

Ultimately, we are all here doing this for our own reasons.
And, clearly not everyone would be happy with whatever THING we would smoke without nicotine. This is all speculation anyways, because even the goopiest aromatics has nicotine. There is no blend of tobacco that is nicotine free. However, head shops have herbal mixtures of lobelia that is close to tobacco without the nicotine. But, I don’t see swarms of people lining up to trade their tobaccos for that stuff.

All in all do what you want.
Only two of your seven reasons that people smoke a pipe involve Nicotine and one of those is (or should be) easily supplemented (Vape is probably more effective as a Quit Smoking aide.)
Tobacco without Nicotine would retain almost the entirety of the the experience we have now, and the bottom line is Tobacco as we know it today will be removed from the consumer market eventually, this isn't a matter of choice, there is near zero chance that people 20 years from now will have access to tobacco exactly as we have it now.

Reactions: JOHN72
Only two of your seven reasons that people smoke a pipe involve Nicotine and one of those is (or should be) easily supplemented (Vape is probably more effective as a Quit Smoking aide.)
Tobacco without Nicotine would retain almost the entirety of the the experience we have now, and the bottom line is Tobacco as we know it today will be removed from the consumer market eventually, this isn't a matter of choice, there is near zero chance that people 20 years from now will have access to tobacco exactly as we have it now.
Soooo, like.... we shouldn’t be enjoying the nicotine now, because doom gloom and piety on me? I don’t get why you keep dragging me back. Sure man, doom gloom... one day the sky will fall. I get it, but like we shouldn’t enjoy God’s gift of tobacco now? Because it’ll go away later? I don’t get it.

Just you do you. I’ll do me, and if we are still alive in twenty years, we’ll still be different.
May science and engineering bring you your nicotine-less joy one day.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
there is near zero chance that people 20 years from now will have access to tobacco exactly as we have it now.
So. you believe there exists politicians who willing to wean themselves off of a tax? I don't witness the proposal to tax mileage as electric vee-hick-els slowly shoulder gas vehicles off the road, reducing taxes from fuel sales. I can't foresee tobacco being outlawed. Use in public will probably die out, we'll become "Victorian" like, restricting such use to home or club use. Smoking in public is a fairly recent phenomonum as you know.

Mar 1, 2014
Soooo, like.... we shouldn’t be enjoying the nicotine now, because doom gloom and piety on me? I don’t get why you keep dragging me back. Sure man, doom gloom... one day the sky will fall. I get it, but like we shouldn’t enjoy God’s gift of tobacco now? Because it’ll go away later? I don’t get it.

Just you do you. I’ll do me, and if we are still alive in twenty years, we’ll still be different.
May science and engineering bring you your nicotine-less joy one day.
I'm actually not the one proclaiming doom, maintaining the stance that Nicotine and Pipesmoking are one in the same is the proclamation of the death of the industry.

In a hundred years people will get back to Pipesmoking as we have before now, but between now and then people are going to need to get creative.
So. you believe there exists politicians who willing to wean themselves off of a tax? I don't witness the proposal to tax mileage as electric vee-hick-els slowly shoulder gas vehicles off the road, reducing taxes from fuel sales. I can't foresee tobacco being outlawed. Use in public will probably die out, we'll become "Victorian" like, restricting such use to home or club use. Smoking in public is a fairly recent phenomonum as you know.

The number of smokers is going down rapidly anyway, the tax revenue will disappear no matter what they do.

It won't be long before signing in a ban will be seen as more of a political win than the tax money.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have perfected a process to cure lettuce ? in various ways. I can air cure, flue cure and fire cure lettuce. I am casing them with sugar solution, and top some of them with various flavors like vanilla, cherry ? etc. I can even press them in a barrel, so it cures in its natural juices. I see a ready market here, who will smoke it in a pipe!
If it tastes great and smokes well, sign me up! But if it's the smoking equivalent of eating "beyond" beef, or some other vegetable meat substitute, forget about it. That stuff is nasty!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Ive read that C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien met in a pub to discuss their literary interests while having a pint and smoking their pipes. If the beer had no alcohol and the tobacco no nicotine, would they have continued to meet?

While I understand this forum and all such forums exists to obcess about our collective interests, but isn't living our lives of major importance? I see the forum as a way to learn from others how to have a proper smoke.
Like all populations, the interests and passions of forum members vary. Some people are very involved with the Nic Hit and others are much less so. I've never enjoyed getting wasted, whether with tobacco, boo, or booze. A very slight calming, sure. Drooling into my belly button? Nope.