If There Were No Nicotine in Pipe Tobacco...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 1, 2014
Wait, you are still making the argument that somehow I oppose nicotine-less tobacco. Why sir, I do not. In fact, I'll root for you.
However, I am not sure how the existence of nicotine-less tobacco holds the fate of this forum in its hands. but, it is not beneath my concerns. Now, I'm concerned. I'll probably not sleep much tonight. Damn you!!

As to the other questions. I suggest a chemist, a plant scientist, whatever they're called... herbavorist? vegetarinist,? crap... I should know this... Maybe a psychologist, a priest and a rabbit. They can all walk into a bar together.

Not so much in that order. puffy

Wait, I thought the question was whether we would be interested in smoking our pipes if all of the nicotine was no longer in there. I think you're making things up, ha ha. ;)puffy
The push to end all Tobacco consumption is well in motion, chemical addiction is the root cause of concern.
The Pipesmoking industry would be wise to distance itself as much as possible from anything that might resemble a substitute for Cigarettes.
If there were nothing chemically addictive about Pipe Tobacco then in theory all the legislation trying to put an end to Tobacco as a whole could pass over the hobby end of the spectrum and not indiscriminately swallow up everything.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
It would make no difference. They aren't making laws picking and choosing anymore like it used to be, instead they are just lumping everything together. That's why you see a briar pipe now being regulated as a tobacco product. It's almost nothing to do with addiction or chemicals.

If there were nothing chemically addictive about Pipe Tobacco then in theory all the legislation trying to put an end to Tobacco as a whole could pass over the hobby end of the spectrum and not indiscriminately swallow up everything.
I think that you greatly misjudge the rationale to end tobacco smoking. Nicotine is not the worst part about tobacco. Neither is addiction. There are thousands of chemicals found naturally in tobacco smoke that cause cancers and all sorts of other problems. Besides, you think they are rational? Nope, just the sight of smoke coming out of someone's mouth is enough to send some of these fragile Karens into convulsions of madness.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I would still smoke the pipe with no nicotine.

I was an everyday cigarette smoker for about 6 or 7 years, and I quit in 1998. I never want to be addicted like that again. While I think it's certainly possible for a pipe smoker to become nicotine addicted, at my rate of smoking (about 3.5 bowls per week), I haven't noticed anything close to what it was like smoking cigarettes. In other words, I'm not smoking for the nicotine hit.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and OzPiper
Mar 1, 2014
I think that you greatly misjudge the rationale to end tobacco smoking. Nicotine is not the worst part about tobacco. Neither is addiction. There are thousands of chemicals found naturally in tobacco smoke that cause cancers and all sorts of other problems. Besides, you think they are rational? Nope, just the sight of smoke coming out of someone's mouth is enough to send some of these fragile Karens into convulsions of madness.
Recent events have shown otherwise.
I seem to remember hearing about parts of California where you can smoke anything BUT tobacco in your apartment.
"Nicotine" is the enemy these people are cracking down on. Clearly, the new rules are not rational, but going Nicotine Free is the best bet for the survival of the industry.
I'd bet Nicotine Free Cigars would still sell too, and a lot of people would like them even more.

• Haha
Reactions: anotherbob
Mar 1, 2014
Whether or not something is "Bad" is all about moderation, sugar, fat, even water. It's the addictive component that makes Tobacco consumption go out of balance, of course most Pipesmokers don't have that problem, and I've witnessed plenty of people on these forums using Pipes as a quitting aide which should put Pipesmoking in a very positive light, but sweeping regulations won't care about that, if there is the possibility of a product being chemically addictive they're going to want it gone.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've seen people smoking a pipe and those smoking a cigarette. They don't appear to me to be having the same experience, but what do I know?
Now you're texting one that does both regularly. Same experience just allotting different amounts of time to each. Hobbyist pipe smokers to be a bit showy but in the end they too are just smokers.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I think we would be remiss if we didn't recognize that the pipe encourages a different interest from cigars and cigarettes. Do people say "

A Cigar/Cigarette Gives A Wise Man Time To Think And A Fool Something To Stick In His Mouth.

Trischmann's Paradox (edited)

I wouldn't lump cigarettes and cigars together. They are totally different smoking experiences as anyone who has smoked both can attest. And pipes are a different experience again.

Some people eat to assuage their hunger or because it is a necessity. Me, I like to think about what I am about to eat and how to enhance the occasion. Having a pipe
likewise is about enjoying the experience rather than primarily getting a nicotine fix.

Would I smoke if there was no nicotine in the blend ? I went from a minimum of 5 strong coffees a day to just 1 most days because I became very sensitive to caffeine ( nausea, palpitations, tremor and anxiety), and none after 2.00pm. However there are times eg after a nice restaurant meal when I'd feel like a coffee. I'd order a decaf, and to be honest, I don't enjoy it any less because the caffeine is absent.

Reactions: Sweet Home Alabama

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
They are totally different smoking experiences as anyone who has smoked both can attest. And pipes are a different experience again.
For some yes, for others no. Its all drawing tobacco smoke from an ember to your mouth.

Having a pipe likewise is about enjoying the experience rather than primarily getting a nicotine fix.
Again, for some yes, for others no I very much enjoy the experience of each tobacco product I use. Generalizing pipe smoking is like saying a car is just for driving from point A to point B. For some it is, for some cars are for recreational driving and for others collecting.

Reactions: OzPiper and warren

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I would suspect cigarettes is like a shot of whiskey, a cigar like wine or brandy, a a pipe something sipped and savored. Just thinking and may be way off
totally accurate. Both things are about rate of ingestion or how fast it gets into the bloodstream and into the brain. Which changes how they're handled by the body. Sip some brandy or do a shot of brandy and while the same substance your body can react and adjust to the sipping much easier. Same with a pipe versus a cig. And that has another layer which is how the blood supply moves through the body. Lungs go straight to the brain and heart. Where something absorbed through the mouth has to take the whole trip down to your feet and back before getting into the brain.
To the original post taking nicotine out of pipe tobacco will kill it faster then any legislation could dream of doing. No matter what people say it wouldn't be the same thing not even remotely. It would just be leafs with enough psychotropic chemicals that wouldn't be balanced out by nicotine. It would suck and taste much more like burning random dried leaves off the lawn.

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
It is kind of like drinking tea. Some tea has caffeine and you get that plus great taste and enjoyment of the ritual like Earl Grey and then some teas are herbal you get no caffeine but you get a great taste and the ritual. I drink both kinds by the way.

Or chewing gum you get flavor and the ritual of chewing but nothing else most gum is sugar free now so you don't even get that lol.

One could argue coffee and alcohol don't really taste good and we drink them for the effects. But I honestly enjoy the taste of coffee and whisky, I have a small portion I am not drinking for the effects and yes I know I am getting the effects but even if they weren't in there (naturally I think decaf and non-acoholic booze don't taste good) I would still enjoy a coffee a few times a week and a whisky a few times a week. Just like I do my pipe.

I don't think the focus is on addiction from the government but the disease when it comes to tobacco. Cigarettes are different because they add chemicals to them including 70 carcinogens. Yes without them burning and smoking tobacco is still carcinogenic but much less so. The cigarette lobby is very strong maybe it can keep the pipe hobby alive. Or if they do eventually end cigarettes maybe by being less toxic pipes could survive.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Keep in mind those cigarette/pipe tobacco lines were blurred 10-15 years ago when RYO manufacturers branded their RYO tobacco as Pipe tobacco to avoid a higher tax. That bed was made without the doings of regulation.

Reactions: anotherbob