If There Were No Nicotine in Pipe Tobacco...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I doubt I'd smoke without any nicotine. If I did, it would probably be dramatically less. I tend to smoke about 4-6 bowls per day. If I have a cigar, it's closer to the former number, otherwise the latter.

Obviously, I can't speak for anyone else, but I suspect that even those who say they don't ever notice the nicotine are still getting the effects of the stuff. Nicotine works on those parts of the brain that give us pleasure, and what we associate with good taste and relaxation or whatever is likely at least partially a result of the drug.

Mar 1, 2014
I try to imagine what I would have to tell myself to go stand outside in the clod, freezing rain to "taste" something for an hour or so. It just doesn't make sense to me. But hell, half the stuff posted here doesn't make sense to me. puffy
If you're cold that means you didn't prepare.
Make yourself at home in the woods and then you're always smoking your pipe at home.

And even for people who aren't comfortable in nature the flavor is plenty motivating, it's about the same as spending an evening roasting marshmallows, just less calories.

If you're cold that means you didn't prepare.
Make yourself at home in the woods and then you're always smoking your pipe at home.

And even for people who aren't comfortable in nature the flavor is plenty motivating, it's about the same as spending an evening roasting marshmallows, just less calories.
It's been like 50 years since I've felt the desire to roast a marshmallow. That's like a child's thing.

Mar 1, 2014
It's been like 50 years since I've felt the desire to roast a marshmallow. That's like a child's thing.
If Nicotine is really so attractive you should just be chewing the gum or wearing a patch.

It's been brought up before that one of the keys to eliminating Cigarettes is making Nicotine cheap and readily available.
By your logic that would also kill the Pipesmoking industry.

(So far products like Nicotine Gum are kept restricted and expensive because the "Quit Smoking" industry is still controlled by Big Tobacco).

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Eating sugar releases opioids and dopamine and there's evidence pointing to sugar addiction being a real medical condition. Possibly as addictive as nicotine.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
You take that back! Roasting anything over an open fire is acceptable.

On topic:

I have a much stronger reaction to lack of caffeine than I've ever had of nicotine. I randomly had some headaches last year and after it happening several times, I linked it back to the fact that I skipped coffee for the day. I now purposely skip coffee at least 1 day per week to see what happens and it's like clock work. I've never had any noticeable reaction (positive or negative) from the presence, or lack there of, from nicotine.

Everyone reacts or doesn't react to different chemicals differently.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As near as I can tell, nicotine isn't a big incentive to smoke a pipe for me. I say this because, if I don't smoke for a day or a week, I feel no nicotine craving. I might like the idea of settling down with a pipe and taking that time to myself for thought or revery, but it is not a nicotine thing. I don't choose a blend for a nic hit. When that occasionally happens, the nic hit, I enjoy it as a little bonus but don't pursue it. My parents had two different relationships with tobacco -- thinking about genetics here. My dad smoked Granger from just after breakfast until bedtime. My mom bought the occasional pack of cigarettes and loved to pose and flourish them, but they always went stale; she was clearly no nicotine addict. I think I got her nicotine genes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If I want nicotine, the last thing I would smoke is a pipe. Cigarettes are my go to nicotine fix. I smoke Camel Blue 99's. One after dinner and one before bed. Gives me all the nicotine I desire. I love the varied flavors I get from my pipes. It is much more complex than most cigars, not all. There are some cigars that are just so good they should not be mentioned in a public forum.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Nicotine is part of the overall experience for me, right there with the flavors, the rituals, the history and the pipes.
If tobacco had no nicotine, then it wouldn't be actual tobacco anymore and you may as well put playdoh in your pipes and smoke that!
I would probably just smoke what I had left in my cellar and and then sell all of my pipes and move on to the next thing, the same thing for cigars.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
Maybe I'm fooling myself but I have never felt any effect from nicotine in any pipe tobacco. Are people inhaling pipe tobacco?
I've never understood how some tobacco reviews rate the level of nicotine when I can't perceive it whatsoever. I've tried pipe tobaccos that are supposed to carry "high levels of nicotine" and I find them to have the same effect on me as the tobaccos that are supposed to carry "barely a nicotine hit". So yes, I'd keep smoking if nicotine disappears from my tobacco.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Apparently I am the only one who has smoked a non nicotine mixture. I purchased it at the campus Smoke Shop at Bancroft and Telegraph in1965. It was a very pleasant smoke. It had a great aroma/taste. The lack of N was noticed but I did not care. I moved away shortly after and never found it again. I would smoke it exclusively if I could find it..

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I’d suspect that if someone smokes from upon rising to before bed, something addictive is occurring.

If you never think about it until you see your MM Freehand laying on the shelf, your probably into it for a different reason.

Reactions: fireground_piper

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
nope. W
Eating sugar releases opioids and dopamine and there's evidence pointing to sugar addiction being a real medical condition. Possibly as addictive as nicotine.
not opioids but yeah dopamine and other neurotransmitters and hormones. And yes it uses the same pathways and yes anything that gives pleasure seems to be potentially addictive. Though a really super important thing to consider about addiction is the fact it's medically not really defined. So that can lead to a lot needless arguing over what's addictive or not.

Reactions: danimalia
Mar 1, 2014
You clearly did not read my posts at all. I addressed this already puffy
"Balance and Harmony" Sorry I missed that.

So slap a patch on while you smoke your Nicotine Free Tobacco.

The way things are headed you will be forced to make that decision eventually, I know the purview of this forum is only to cover the full Tobacco experience as we have it today, but from what I can see nothing can save the existence of the products we have right now in the exact form we have them.
At least not in the West.
Maybe the pendulum won't swing that far, we can hope, but it's a feint hope. An outright ban on Tobacco has to be on the tips of the tongues of every lobbyist.
"Tobacco" is still stained with the stink of death from Cigarettes, the movement is large and carries a lifelong vendetta against the leaf itself, until that generation is gone we can only expect things to get worse until Tobacco products are snuffed from existence.

In the worst case scenario, eliminating Nicotine could be the only option other than packing up your pipes.

In the worst case scenario, eliminating Nicotine could be the only option other than packing up your pipes.
You may not realize this, but nicotine has a taste. Removing it destroys the taste of tobacco, actually it makes it almost like smoking tea, which you can do already, if you want.

Grocery stores sell only about 1/100th the amount of decaf compared to regular coffee, and maybe 1/1000th the amount of alcohol free beer. I know that some say they would smoke without nicotine in their blends, but I doubt the majority of smokers worldwide would agree. Otherwise, companies would have tried it. But, like I said, it destroys the taste. If they could make something taste like tobacco without the nicotine, cigarette companies would have done it a long time ago.

I won't be left without options, as I can easily grow 20 to 25 pounds of tobacco a year, and if I needed, I could grow a whole lot more. Also, I have a cellar that will most likely last me the rest of my life. I just keep on cellaring more, because I can, ha ha.

• Love
Reactions: Law and anotherbob