If There Were No Nicotine in Pipe Tobacco...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
You may not realize this, but nicotine has a taste. Removing it destroys the taste of tobacco, actually it makes it almost like smoking tea, which you can do already, if you want.

Grocery stores sell only about 1/100th the amount of decaf compared to regular coffee, and maybe 1/1000th the amount of alcohol free beer. I know that some say they would smoke without nicotine in their blends, but I doubt the majority of smokers worldwide would agree. Otherwise, companies would have tried it. But, like I said, it destroys the taste. If they could make something taste like tobacco without the nicotine, cigarette companies would have done it a long time ago.

I won't be left without options, as I can easily grow 20 to 25 pounds of tobacco a year, and if I needed, I could grow a whole lot more. Also, I have a cellar that will most likely last me the rest of my life. I just keep on cellaring more, because I can, ha ha.
What in the world does nicotine taste like? Smoking a large bowl of Earl Grey tea is now one more thing to put on my bucket list. Maybe I'll get a caffeine hit!

As with marihuana, it's the effect of the smoke that people crave and desire, not the taste. Companies have tried manufacturing "light" cigarettes and people either smoke twice as much as they would smoke regular cigarettes or they end up going back to the regular, high nicotine cigarettes.

The whole addiction and pipe smoking is very confusing to me. I think you get addicted or more accurate, you acquire a habit of having that pipe in your hand and in your mouth much more than any nicotine that the tobacco may have.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
You may not realize this, but nicotine has a taste. Removing it destroys the taste of tobacco, actually it makes it almost like smoking tea, which you can do already, if you want.

Grocery stores sell only about 1/100th the amount of decaf compared to regular coffee, and maybe 1/1000th the amount of alcohol free beer. I know that some say they would smoke without nicotine in their blends, but I doubt the majority of smokers worldwide would agree. Otherwise, companies would have tried it. But, like I said, it destroys the taste. If they could make something taste like tobacco without the nicotine, cigarette companies would have done it a long time ago.

I won't be left without options, as I can easily grow 20 to 25 pounds of tobacco a year, and if I needed, I could grow a whole lot more. Also, I have a cellar that will most likely last me the rest of my life. I just keep on cellaring more, because I can, ha ha.
yeah I think people who say they would smoke it without the nicotine are deluding themselves.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
What in the world does nicotine taste like? Smoking a large bowl of Earl Grey tea is now one more thing to put on my bucket list. Maybe I'll get a caffeine hit!

As with marihuana, it's the effect of the smoke that people crave and desire, not the taste. Companies have tried manufacturing "light" cigarettes and people either smoke twice as much as they would smoke regular cigarettes or they end up going back to the regular, high nicotine cigarettes.

The whole addiction and pipe smoking is very confusing to me. I think you get addicted or more accurate, you acquire a habit of having that pipe in your hand and in your mouth much more than any nicotine that the tobacco may have.
well light cigs are b.s.. They don't actually have less nicotine they have less draw.

pinchoftobacco

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2018
Definitely still would. Smoking a pipe is such a grounding experience. Choosing the pipe and the blend, prepping the tobacco, packing the pipe, lighting, tamping. Few things in life are that relaxing.

Reactions: OzPiper

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I smoke for flavor and a joy this process of pipe smoking brings, making a connection to it, being a part of it. I’m not smoking for a buzz.

If there was such a thing as nicotine free pipe tobacco with all the great same flavors, I’d smoke it.

I went online looking up nicotine free and started to come across Herbal blends and this site, really interesting for plant lovers.

I like what it said on that page;

——————-

Smoking is a powerful act. The plants that we commonly smoke are powerful teacher plants, or “Master” plants. Tobacco, for instance, is a very powerful teacher plant, one that native peoples (or, more accurately, native men) used to connect with each other and with Spirit, in a divine sort of way. Because it is such a powerful plant, excessive, mindless use will be harmful. (Not to mention modern agricultural and processing techniques.) Tobacco can be used rarely, mindfully, and in sacred ceremony in a way that is healthy and life-giving.

——————-

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I think we would be remiss if we didn't recognize that the pipe encourages a different interest from cigars and cigarettes. Do people say "

A Cigar/Cigarette Gives A Wise Man Time To Think And A Fool Something To Stick In His Mouth.

Trischmann's Paradox (edited)

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think we would be remiss if we didn't recognize that the pipe encourages a different interest from cigars and cigarettes.

Not really for me. Each serves the tobacco desire depending on the amount of time I have to devote to them.

Do people say "

A Cigar/Cigarette Gives A Wise Man Time To Think And A Fool Something To Stick In His Mouth.

Trischmann's Paradox (edited)

They all offer a time to settle one's thoughts.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I liked the strong stuff from about my third year on. You betcha I liked nicotine. The first time I smoked Dark Flake I thought it was a little much, but at the same time I was fascinated by it. Within 2-3 years strong blends dominated my rotation. I enjoyed them.

In my mind no on drinks for any reason other than the buzz. When you stop drinking for a buzz and start drinking to get drunk is when the trouble starts.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I would certainly smoke less without the nic, but I’d still smoke... I just recently got some Peterson Deluxe and it was mostly Cavendish, and unfulfilling it was so light on nic till I cut it with Va/Bur... I really enjoy the pipe, but also the nic, maybe 50/50, or something like that...

And no you don’t have to inhale, it goes through your mouth pores big time.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
We are all getting nicotine effects whether we feel it or not. I suspect some are not addicted, some are and don't think they are, and some are and know they are.
reminds me of what this former junky said to me (he was stopped using the stuff), which is that "nobody is an addict until they can't get any". Of course there are some people who aren't addicted to nicotine that smoke but not every single day. Like if you smoke your pipe twice in a week you're probably not addicted, if you smoke it three or more times daily I am pretty sure you'll get extra grumpy if we hid all of your pipes until tommorow.

Reactions: dcicero
Mar 1, 2014

Uncaffeinated Sugar Free Diet Soft Drinks account for a large percentage of the drinks people buy every day.

What is the effect of Nicontine on the flavor of Latakia?
What is the effect of Nicotine on the flavor of Perique?
Do the microbes fermenting your jar of Virginia feed off of Nicotine?

Burly might taste different, the rest of your blends would be unaffected.

The state of your cellar isn't the issue, what's really being discussed here is whether or not Smokingpipes.com or PipesMagazine will still exist 20 years from now.
Most likely that is beyond any of your concerns, but it is my concern.

Wait, you are still making the argument that somehow I oppose nicotine-less tobacco. Why sir, I do not. In fact, I'll root for you.
However, I am not sure how the existence of nicotine-less tobacco holds the fate of this forum in its hands. but, it is not beneath my concerns. Now, I'm concerned. I'll probably not sleep much tonight. Damn you!!

As to the other questions. I suggest a chemist, a plant scientist, whatever they're called... herbavorist? vegetarinist,? crap... I should know this... Maybe a psychologist, a priest and a rabbit. They can all walk into a bar together.

Not so much in that order. puffy

what's really being discussed here is whether or not Smokingpipes.com or PipesMagazine will still exist 20 years from now.

Wait, I thought the question was whether we would be interested in smoking our pipes if all of the nicotine was no longer in there. I think you're making things up, ha ha. ;)puffy

Reactions: anotherbob and Law

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Edit: Rule Nine. Capitalization of important words.
(Also changed tense of verb.)

If there was no nicotine in pipe tobacco would you still smoke. Or would you smoke less? What about other people would there be a decline in pipe smoking.
For 35 years I was hopelessly addicted to cigarettes.
I could not go 30 minutes before cravings for nicotine hit.

Since switching 100% to a pipe over ten years ago, I'm now smoking far less and can go hours without a puff, especially when otherwise occupied.

All of my blends have little to no more than mild nicotine so I don't notice any effect.
Smoking a pipe is very relaxing and I really enjoy the flavour.
So yes, since I'm no longer a slave to Lady N I'd continue to smoke nicotine free tobacco simply for the above reasons.

Reactions: OzPiper
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
For 35 years I was hopelessly addicted to cigarettes.
I could not go 30 minutes before cravings for nicotine hit.

Since switching 100% to a pipe over ten years ago, I'm now smoking far less and can go hours without a puff, especially when otherwise occupied.

All of my blends have little to no more than mild nicotine so I don't notice any effect.
Smoking a pipe is very relaxing and I really enjoy the flavour.
So yes, since I'm no longer a slave to Lady N I'd continue to smoke nicotine free tobacco simply for the above reasons.
Yours is a significant contrast between cigarette and pipe smoking.

Reactions: chopper