PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
On my home front its not so much about my comfort level but more about the Consequences and Repercussions that would follow that is if I didn't pay for it in cash or money order without her knowing. Now my wheels are turning on how to raise the capitol for the expense.

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
This spring I'll tell my wife we need a new lawnmower. A guy that I work with told me he needs a new lawn mower. His mower costs $3,000. Mine would cost $300. I buy the one he needs with credit card for him and sell it for $2,400. I purchase a new mower for us at $300 netting me $2,100. The cost of an estate pipe. Problem solved. She'll never know the difference.

This is the lawn mower type I use
1610723096326.png
1610723011268.png
I call this it a win win. He gets mower, I get Pipe. Who knows what this pipe could be worth in 5 years anyway.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
You guys keep running it down because it costs so much. Of course, it isn't worth 5 times the best of any other carvers pipes but their price will decrease to 50% the instant you buy it. Hers will still command full price. So come clean, fellas and admit that what you are really saying (usually) is that you can't afford it or the wrath you'd face on the home.
It is a beautiful pipe, it’s way out of my price range, and yes I would need to lie about the price (by about 85%) to my wife if I did buy it and I’d probably have to go with a “supporting female carvers in a male dominated industry” angle if I did tell her. Even if SP gave me a free gift certificate for $5000 I still wouldn’t purchase that particular pipe.

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
Yep, only 50 pipes a year, taught by the best can create higher prices for her pipes for the people wanting and affording them. Makes me want one.

Reactions: tobefrank

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
This spring I'll tell my wife we need a new lawnmower. A guy that I work with told me he needs a new lawn mower. His mower costs $3,000. Mine would cost $300. I buy the one he needs with credit card for him and sell it for $2,400. I purchase a new mower for us at $300 netting me $2,100. The cost of an estate pipe. Problem solved. She'll never know the difference.

This is the lawn mower type I use
View attachment 60243
View attachment 60242
I call this it a win win. He gets mower, I get Pipe. Who knows what this pipe could be worth in 5 years anyway.
Most of my yard I cut with a tractor and brush hog because it's adjacent to my hay fields, but around my house I have nice grass and use a Cub too...I love that damn mower. Used to have Deer zero turns before I bought that one, the Deer's were crap compared to that Cub (with a Honda engine by the way).

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Makes sense to me. The rules become more 'abstract' the higher up you go. Like the stock market.
It's much easier than that. If a pipe sells at a certain price point it means there's a market for it. The buyers set the price.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
According to my back of the envelope calculations, that equals:

156 $16 Missouri Meerschaums
78 $32 Grabows
42 $60 Rossi's
25 $100 Estate pipes
20 $125 Savinelli's
227 Tins of $11 tobacco which equals 28.375 lbs
833 Ounces of bulk tobacco which equals 52 lbs

Or a nice set of Michelins for my F150, new tires for both my boat trailers, my travel trailer and have money left to buy two of the four tires for my 5th wheel

Hmmm, I wonder what I would do....
Just buy some recaps and light up that Manduela!
Yes indeed, the buyer sets the price. Or is it the seller?
Supply AND demand!

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Well, for perspective, the Rolex watch would have value to resell, and eventually, if cared for, increase in value. The Manduela pipe......probably neither....
I'm just reading that a pre-owned Rolex Oyster Date would be around $2,600 compared to $6,150 new, so I'm not too sure if a Rolex would be an appreciating asset perse.

Reactions: Tennessee Dave
Status
Not open for further replies.