PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaneireland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 14, 2014
Conway, SC
www.smokingpipes.com
I love this pipe. It’s an excellent example of her work, and is priced as such (by her). There’s a fairly wide range for her smooths, which accounts for some of the differences in price you’ll see from piece to piece. Not all pipes are the same size, have the same accent materials, the same grain, etc. She just doesn’t use grades.

And it’s sold. Missed out on another one... ??

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
I love this pipe. It’s an excellent example of her work, and is priced as such (by her). There’s a fairly wide range for her smooths, which accounts for some of the differences in price you’ll see from piece to piece. Not all pipes are the same size, have the same accent materials, the same grain, etc. She just doesn’t use grades.

And it’s sold. Missed out on another one... ??
Thanks for the price explanation Shane.

dbcooper

Lurker
Aug 22, 2018
Wait someone paid 2.5k for that? It doesn't even look like anything special from the photo.. the lines are very sharp, the grain is good buy nothing great, the deep burgundy stain speaks to that. This seems like a case of Louis Vutton hand bags costings $1000s of dollars and you can buy a great handbag for 1/10 the price.

But to each their own. Enjoy the new pipe!

Reactions: SoddenJack

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Wait someone paid 2.5k for that? It doesn't even look like anything special from the photo.. the lines are very sharp, the grain is good buy nothing great, the deep burgundy stain speaks to that. This seems like a case of Louis Vutton hand bags costings $1000s of dollars and you can buy a great handbag for 1/10 the price.

But to each their own. Enjoy the new pipe!
It's a buyer's market and they're creating the prices. This Hiroyuki Tokutomi that interested me sold for $3000 several years ago. I wouldn't have paid more than $500 for it but it's sale proves there's a market for pipes that expensive.

002-141-1098.jpg

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
I was checking out her pipes again at the Danish Pipe Shop this morning and I think they increased the price of her pipes by $500 dollars overnight. Wondering if it was due to this one purchase?

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
When I see these gotcha stupid videos I always think one phrase "selective editing". Lots of youngsters can read analog clocks. How else are they going to know how much longer their classes have left?
I have 2 grandchildren 17 and 15 that cannot tell me what time it is by looking at our wall clocks. Sadly they have to look at their phone. Next time they visit I can check to see if they can read in cursive. If i had to put money on it I would bet against it. I have heard from guys at work they quit teaching it at some point.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I have 2 grandchildren 17 and 15 that cannot tell me what time it is by looking at our wall clocks. Sadly they have to look at their phone. Next time they visit I can check to see if they can read in cursive. If i had to put money on it I would bet against it. I have heard from guys at work they quit teaching it at some point.
I find this very surprising and a bit disturbing, because my 7 and 9 year old kids have learned both reading the clock and reading and writing in cursive in primary school.

Makes you wonder why schools have taken this out of their curriculum.

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
I find this very surprising and a bit disturbing, because my 7 and 9 year old kids have learned both reading the clock and reading and writing in cursive in primary school.

Makes you wonder why schools have taken this out of their curriculum.
Not me a bit...they don't do a lot of things since i was their age like pledge of alligence and why should every kid get a participation triophy?

Status
Not open for further replies.