PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
most of the high end pipes remind me of designer clothes. Pretty much for showing off to a tiny percent of the population.
I see what you are saying but I'm not sure it's true. I'd be more than happy to never show my pipes to anybody and would guess that most people that buy high end pipes do so for their own pleasure, not to show off.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I see what you are saying but I'm not sure it's true. I'd be more than happy to never show my pipes to anybody and would guess that most people that buy high end pipes do so for their own pleasure, not to show off.
so for a very limited pool of people. A pool of one. I am just saying I don't often see the appeal of a lot of them. The thing is I do get that when you go high end on price limited appeal isn't an issue. As long as one person with the money likes it and can't find something similar for less it can be sold.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Make friends with Ron Powell.
3-jpg.60166
O.M.G. I think I'm arriving.

Reactions: Chasing Embers
Mar 1, 2014
Converting DKK to USD its almost $1,000 difference...Yeah I guess for that it would have to be outstanding service.
For anyone living in the U.S. the American retailers usually make sense, the hassle of import can be a gamble.
For anyone outside the U.S. American retailers are equivalent to buying from a boutique shop.
For the last four years almost all of my pipes have come from the U.K.

Edit: And then we have a Cob costing $70 ($50 without tax) Corn Cob Pipe, Wizard Cobbit w. Acrylic Stem - Missouri Meerschaum, Corn Cob Pipes - The Danish Pipe Shop - https://www.danishpipeshop.com/d/Corn-Cob-Pipe-Wizard-Cobbit-w-Acrylic-Stem-i12363.html
I guess it still holds true that for most people anything foreign is perceived as exotic.

Last edited:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
At a past Richmond VA show, I observed some pretty well-heeled Philly pipe club members who favor S. Bangs looking over several Manduela pipes shown by a vendor. They showed great interest and one was purchased (I think they were around $2k at the time, for an estate! I guess it just depends on your comfort level.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
According to my back of the envelope calculations, that equals:

156 $16 Missouri Meerschaums
78 $32 Grabows
42 $60 Rossi's
25 $100 Estate pipes
20 $125 Savinelli's
227 Tins of $11 tobacco which equals 28.375 lbs
833 Ounces of bulk tobacco which equals 52 lbs

Or a nice set of Michelins for my F150, new tires for both my boat trailers, my travel trailer and have money left to buy two of the four tires for my 5th wheel

Hmmm, I wonder what I would do....

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
For anyone living in the U.S. the American retailers usually make sense, the hassle of import can be a gamble.
For anyone outside the U.S. American retailers are equivalent to buying from a boutique shop.
For the last four years almost all of my pipes have come from the U.K.

Edit: And then we have a Cob costing $70 ($50 without tax) Corn Cob Pipe, Wizard Cobbit w. Acrylic Stem - Missouri Meerschaum, Corn Cob Pipes - The Danish Pipe Shop - https://www.danishpipeshop.com/d/Corn-Cob-Pipe-Wizard-Cobbit-w-Acrylic-Stem-i12363.html
I guess it still holds true that for most people anything foreign is perceived as exotic.

True that, true that, also not going to buy a Wizard Cobbit Corn Cobb pipe straight from Missouri Meerschaum for $36 plus Tax.

However, I would purchase the most exotic and intoxicating

3-Pipe Cobbit Collection Gift Set​

$72.99

Out of stock

The 3-Pipe Cobbit Collection Gift Set from Missouri Meerschaum offers three of our most popular pipes – the Shire, Elf, and Dwarf Cobbit Pipes – in a box perfect for gifting!
Get it as a gift for someone special – even yourself!

If the damn thing wasn't out of stock. The email I got from MM said they are backlogged due to the Danes.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You guys keep running it down because it costs so much. Of course, it isn't worth 5 times the best of any other carvers pipes but their price will decrease to 50% the instant you buy it. Hers will still command full price. So come clean, fellas and admit that what you are really saying (usually) is that you can't afford it or the wrath you'd face on the home.

Status
Not open for further replies.