Honest Question: Why do we Care what a Smoker calls Himself?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

156 Fresh Peterson Pipes
24 Fresh Estate Pipes
3 Fresh Ping Zhan Pipes
9 Fresh Caminetto Pipes
24 Fresh Barling Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Great Darwin quote. Another:

Man tends to increase at a greater rate than his means of subsistence; consequently he is occasionally subjected to a severe struggle for existence, and natural selection will have effected whatever lies within its scope.
~ Charles Darwin: The Descent of Man, 1871

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Piping is something you do in the kitchen, over a cake, it can also be a very hot dish, as in piping hot. A piper is a musician or maybe a plumber. We are pipe smokers. Hobbyists even ;)

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
these days everyone is a hipster. It's just a fact.
Yeah.....no.

taYcCRbzfb7P8fKjPR9e6sW-ckoIh90-apOAn48j-w5V4O87uWEJILkHTaF28-qRcFrIR3kmmdf51y68lx0NvFoAVXsiW2uquYp03JkET-vBXvaDWov3KlDZgmp3rwg77Px1ebgokjfn4xf4

Jan 27, 2020
We all have our little quirks. I am quite annoyed by the words "dawdle," "cattywompus/cattywampus" and the phrase "kitty corner" so don't think I am trying to pick on anyone's personal irritations...we all have them.

However, it seems that some are outwardly irritated by what a pipe smoker calls themselves. "Piper" gets some of us rather upset while "pipester" made some of us have an absolute fit, even though we got over it. "Puffer" gets a small amount of irritation and "addict" tends to make many of us mildly perturbed.

Why do we actually care about what we are called based on our pipe smoking? Personally, It's one of those things where I pick the hill I want to die on. When someone calls me a shortened version of my name, no worries. I usually prefer my full first name unless you are my wife or a friend of some sort but won't make a big deal if someone uses Dave instead of David.

So, no judgement here (see my first statement) but what makes you have an irritation reaction big enough to speak out against what you are called as a pipe smoker? On the other hand, what makes you the other way where you may be irritated by an epithet based on your pipe smoking but have no reaction to it?

I prefer recreational pipe abuser.