Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co. Importation Troubles?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although, I believe that real pipe tobacco was not the intended target of the FDA/cigarette industry trying to clean up the RYO mess, I think that GH&co is exactly what the FDA hopes to eliminate from the American market. Heavily flavored exotic tobaccos that taut a strong nicotine punch... all the lip flap about kids and flavorings is ridiculous. It's a roos. They want to eventually eliminate all tobacco products, starting with the ones that they are certain adults will like. It only makes sense to them that the heavily flavored tobaccos are intended to bring in new smokers, and the high nicotine sends chills up their spines about getting all of these poor men addicted.

Now, I am not talking reality. I'm talking the way a tobacco hater would see all of this. If GH&co pulled out of the US market, there would be a ticker tape parade down the halls of the FDA.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
People have been running around with their hair on fire at least since McClelland checked out on us.
If Gawith goes off the market, we can only imagine the endless "I told you so's" that are going to flood the forum. This will be followed by a long period of hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth. I expect anyone who ever referred the Lakeland essence as "granny panties" will suddenly be overcome with nostalgia for all the blends they previously mocked and immediately begin hoarding vintage tins from Pipestud.
And a few years later the descriptions might be shortened, and just be referred to as ‘Pipestud Panties’.

slinking away..... ?

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
Tins will be different when they do show up. From Gawith this morning:

"We noticed some questions about how Samuel Gawith products are currently shipping so thought we would provide a little explanation. Essentially the previous manufacturer of the tins in Europe stopped production. This resulted in a period of procurement to source a suitable alternative. Due to very long lead times, we were faced with the decision to either stop shipping any SG products, or use an alternative tin (that you see in this picture), that did not seal reliably. This was due to the tin being more flexible and a reduced thickness of vacuum seal. The cardboard inserts help stabilise the rim of the tin, while the hot melt glue helped further stabilisation as the vacuum is formed. This was not an ideal situation but as of now, all SG products are being shipped in new custom tins that are sealing nicely albeit still with the insert and no glue. We are currently developing the seal further to produce packaging more suited to these products. You will notice the new tins are in a steel finish. "View attachment 19403
Yes...I saw the Hefty cardboard which will help the Tin from opening up.

Yeh, all these morons wanting legal pot. Let's see how well they like it once the FDA starts regulating percentages of THC in products being sold, and forcing them to make the all natural pot that they love into pills.

It's all fun and games till the regulators show up to kill the party. The they'll all be lamenting about the old days when it was all just smuggled in from Mexico.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
If it's really just a matter of not filing the right paper work and now they've lost the entire US market,.. they look like a bunch of boobs. Makes you wonder how they stayed in business for 200 years?

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Yeah but they are working with geneticists from multiple universities like Duke, Clemson, and Cornell on future hybrid tobaccos that mostly aren't tobacco at all and have almost no nicotine. Using iceberg lettuce, they are already able to pretty accurately replicate Virginias and Kentucky's.

Pretty sure scientists have made a convincing version of Frog Morton from aged cabbage and taco sauce. All day smoke. No chance of bite or harshness.

Well, I am thankful for the extensive cellar I have and while I will lament over the loss of any of the remaining great tobacco blending houses, I have enough back stock to enjoy until I die from it. or with it..

IF these rulings ever do kick in, we will be limited in the varieties available to us and I dare say I probably have a few cans/tins/jars of any that might remain on the market. Maybe I need to rethink what direction to take for future purchases....

Reactions: Elric

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
Girl Scout: Is this made from real lemons?
Wednesday: Yes.
Girl Scout: I only like all-natural foods and beverages, organically grown, with no preservatives. Are you sure they're real lemons?
Pugsley: Yes.
Girl Scout: I'll tell you what- I'll buy a cup if you buy a box of my delicious Girl Scout cookies. Do we have a deal?
Wednesday: Are they made from real Girl Scouts?

Status
Not open for further replies.