Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co. Importation Troubles?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Seeds of doubt create demand for any product. All kinds of seeds of doubt are used for all kinds of products.
WHat about Germain's closing because the heirs don't want it. What will that mean for Esoterica availabiliy? Is it true that C&D will buy the recipes and take over manufacture of these blends?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Such a roller coaster of emotions.. the funny thing is, don't you want to buy some now? Ever feel like a puppet on a string trying to keep up? How much of this stuff is orchestrated?

So you think SG conspired with the FDA to create an artificial shortage in order to stimulate demand? And they do this when all their product sells out rather quickly anyway? You best get your tin foil hat pulled down over your ears.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Here's how I see it, and if I'm worong then I'm wrong.

I love these blends, they are my aboslute favorites. That being said, if they aren't pulling our legs then they run that shit like a drunken goat rodeo. Yes, the stuff is out there. It can be found if you dig, but why should you have to? Its ok to admit that the exclusivity drives even your own demand for the stuff. If they kept it in stock on the big markets, the shine and exclusivity would wear off fast. Slow and steady wins the race, or they are slackers who cant get it done. Either way, every time a piece of news like this drops their demand increases. Along with that their profits remain steady.

Sunday sunday sunday! we are having our last really real going out of business sale, 20% off on all futons and waterbeds.

2 months later..

They take the going out of business sale sign down, and put up the signs for the Memorial day sale.

Reactions: BROBS

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Yet another receding heir-line.
giphy.gif

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
So you think SG conspired with the FDA to create an artificial shortage in order to stimulate demand? And they do this when all their product sells out rather quickly anyway? You best get your tin foil hat pulled down over your ears.

How do we know for sure that happened? Even if it did, It wouldn't take a conspiracy between the two to make it happen. It would be as simple as purposefully not getting the paperwork done, creating a supply gap.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
How do we know for sure that happened? Even if it did, It wouldn't take a conspiracy between the two to make it happen. It would be as simple as purposefully not getting the paperwork done, creating a supply gap.
This I would doubt... It's probably hard for a foreign company to keep up with all the new FDA regs. They are kind of insane if you read them.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
WHat about Germain's closing because the heirs don't want it. What will that mean for Esoterica availabiliy? Is it true that C&D will buy the recipes and take over manufacture of these blends?

Germain's closing will inevitably increase the demand and value for those names. Even if you reproduce them as an entirely different blend. Not saying they will, but they certainly could. There is a lot of integrity in this business. That's fueled buy us consumers being a pretty detail oriented bunch.

Its our responsiblity to be a little skeptical of news like this. That's kind of a "my dog ate my homework" excuse. I know the regulations are foreign to them and complicated, but this is the business they've been in... for a long ass time.

Reactions: BROBS

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
you do realise that the com
Here's how I see it, and if I'm worong then I'm wrong.

I love these blends, they are my aboslute favorites. That being said, if they aren't pulling our legs then they run that shit like a drunken goat rodeo. Yes, the stuff is out there. It can be found if you dig, but why should you have to? Its ok to admit that the exclusivity drives even your own demand for the stuff. If they kept it in stock on the big markets, the shine and exclusivity would wear off fast. Slow and steady wins the race, or they are slackers who cant get it done. Either way, every time a piece of news like this drops their demand increases. Along with that their profits remain steady.

Sunday sunday sunday! we are having our last really real going out of business sale, 20% off on all futons and waterbeds.

2 months later..

They take the going out of business sale sign down, and put up the signs for the Memorial day sale.
you do realise that the company lists a total 14 employees in the business directory dont you?
With that number of staff they are always likely to be struggling to meet demand,especially with the growth in the far east market

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
you do realise that the com

you do realise that the company lists a total 14 employees in the business directory dont you?
With that number of staff they are always likely to be struggling to meet demand,especially with the growth in the far east market

I did know they are a small company. I didn't know there were only 14 employees. I go back to, maybe they are running it poorly. With the demand they have, they should definitely be able to get some money flowing. Hire some more help and meet the new demand.. but I personally suspect, and this is just my humble opinion. If the product was too available the damand would fall fast. People would be on to find the next poorly stocked blend.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
that's not true.. it used to be in stock all the time before people went nuts over it.
their tobacco has to age a certain amount before it's ready.. they only have so many people and so much space.

Reactions: paulfg

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I hate to add fuel to the fire, but I just read that this will also affect Sam Gawith blends as well.

Hire some more help and meet the new demand.. but I personally suspect, and this is just my humble opinion.
I want more GH&co blends available as well, but I also know that when things made with care and diligence on antique equipment, it becomes a very different product when cranked up to mass produced levels. Quality of the sourced tobaccos drop to meet the higher production, the attention to detail gets lost, and it would just lose that "special" quality.

Pipe tobacco is not a HUGE industry, and the actual amount of pipe smokers is not very big. You'd probably fair better selling strap-ons for turtle molesters... JK. But, not far off. None of the tobacco companies are very big, not even as large as chewing tobacco.

Right now, it is merely the threat of the FDA, and it's all going to the fastest with the most funds to buy. And, I can live with that. Sure, I miss the ropes especially, but as soon as insurance companies and employers start testing all members for nicotine (or whatever obligatory, unthinkable thing happens), all of those hoarders will be dumping their stashes back into the pool for redistribution. puffy

Status
Not open for further replies.