Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co. Importation Troubles?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I just read this on another social media site.
I have no facts to confirm or deny I am just putting this out there...

"I just wanted to let you know that until Gawith Hoggarth files its PMT forms with the FDA, the importer is unable to submit additional orders and, on top of that, the FDA has confiscated the last Gawith Hoggarth shipment from the import station due to violations of blend names. As a result, it may be several months before we (or any other retailer) will be able to re-stock Gawith Hoggarth inventory."

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
'violations of blend names' I wonder what that's all about?
The FDA has guidelines for descriptors in the names of blends. That's why Rattray's had to change the name of Exotic Orange to Exotic Passion. Importers have deadlines to meet requirements for FDA guidelines. If they fail to meet those deadlines, their blends can't be imported to the US.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I’m not sure that’s why. I thought the naming rules were in the EU/UK?

So any new tobacco coming in they are supposed to submit ingredient lists, “quantities of harmful and potentially harmful ingredients”, etc. if they don’t they are labeled ‘misbranded’ and seized.

UhOh

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I’m not sure that’s why. I thought the naming rules were in the EU/UK?

So any new tobacco coming in they are supposed to submit ingredient lists, “quantities of harmful and potentially harmful ingredients”, etc. if they don’t they are labeled ‘misbranded’ and seized.

UhOh
When the Deeming Rules were published in 2016 there were very specific no no's cited by the FDA regarding vocabulary that could be used when naming a blend, which included the use of colors as descriptives. Looking at this more recent posting by the FDA makes me happy not be in the tobacco business. Hoop after hoop after hoop to jump through. I got exhausted just reading through it.

I need a smoke.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I just read this on another social media site.
I have no facts to confirm or deny I am just putting this out there...

"I just wanted to let you know that until Gawith Hoggarth files its PMT forms with the FDA, the importer is unable to submit additional orders and, on top of that, the FDA has confiscated the last Gawith Hoggarth shipment from the import station due to violations of blend names. As a result, it may be several months before we (or any other retailer) will be able to re-stock Gawith Hoggarth inventory."
I saw this post on Facebook. The poster, a Barry Nelson, said he got the information from an email from a retailer. He said he would not name the retailer. He also said the retailer would not permit him to post the email on line. So, at this time, his statement is unsubstantiated and a rumor and nothing more.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I mean, what about all the hansom flake that just came in? I know it’s not “G&H” but same company. ?
McClelland released 40th Anniversary just months before they closed their doors. Last grab at a sale?

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Does not sound like a big deal. From Gawith this morning:

Official - USA FDA registration:

It is been recently reported that the USA will receive no further GH products until they have been registered as commercially active with the FDA. This has been the result of a miscommunication during a change of importer. We are working hard to resolve this issue and should not effect future availability of our products in the USA. We will keep you updated on the process over the coming months.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains

It is been recently reported that the USA will receive no further GH products until they have been registered as commercially active with the FDA. This has been the result of a miscommunication during a change of importer. We are working hard to resolve this issue and should not effect future availability of our products in the USA. We will keep you updated on the process over the coming months.
Yes, I saw this on its Facebook page.

Oct 7, 2016

Well, it is a big deal in that Chris Gawith is having to find time to do some things that he thought until last week had been taken care of. ?. It is not a big deal in that another shipment of GH to the States wasn’t planned for several months anyway and he is working hard to make sure that can happen. I am not aware of any similar issues regarding SG.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
'violations of blend names' I wonder what that's all about?

They tried releasing Kendal Blueberry with new packaging that said "Just like real blueberries, it packed with with antioxidants, phytoflavinoids, potassium and vitamin C. It can they lower your risk of heart disease and cancer!" Turns out that wasn't true so they have to go back to the "If you even think about tobacco, it will kill you" packaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.