Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co. Importation Troubles?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I did know they are a small company. I didn't know there were only 14 employees. I go back to, maybe they are running it poorly. With the demand they have, they should definitely be able to get some money flowing. Hire some more help and meet the new demand.. but I personally suspect, and this is just my humble opinion. If the product was too available the damand would fall fast. People would be on to find the next poorly stocked blend.
It's a bit more complicated than simply pulling out a bigger bucket and filling it. This has been a topic with regard to Germain's as well. Capacity is tied to the plant and pipeline, which is operating at capacity. Change the pipeline and the characteristics of the blends change as well. GH&Co has been going through some changes to increase capacity over the last couple of years. How that will affect the blends produced? Who knows.
Your assumptions regarding what I've dubbed the Psychopathy Of Scarcity are on point, but applied perhaps a bit too liberally.
Scarcity often gets conflated with quality. If an item is scarce, it must be so because there's so much demand, because it's really good. Your cat, with its walnut sized brain, thinks the same way about what the other cat is eating.
But not all pipe smokers have walnut sized brains and some can separate scarcity from quality. And for most of us, availability is availability, and nothing more. If people can't find a particular blend that they like, they will find another one to smoke.
Also, the idea that GH&Co is somehow conspiring with the FDA to raise more return for GH&Co is novel.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Yeh, but what about tobacco supplies? Already pipe tobaccos use up the topmost tobaccos in the world.

Yeah but they are working with geneticists from multiple universities like Duke, Clemson, and Cornell on future hybrid tobaccos that mostly aren't tobacco at all and have almost no nicotine. Using iceberg lettuce, they are already able to pretty accurately replicate Virginias and Kentucky's. Good ones. From what I understand the issues facing them is any processing like forced drying, Cavendish, or flavoring just causes it to dissolve. In a few years, the whole issue of being out of stock due to leaf shortages will go away.

• Haha
Reactions: Casual and BROBS

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I did know they are a small company. I didn't know there were only 14 employees. I go back to, maybe they are running it poorly. With the demand they have, they should definitely be able to get some money flowing. Hire some more help and meet the new demand.. but I personally suspect, and this is just my humble opinion. If the product was too available the damand would fall fast. People would be on to find the next poorly stocked blend.
Have you seen the size of Kendal? There's barely 14 people in town. They'd have to dredge the countryside to hire more.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Yeah but they are working with geneticists from multiple universities like Duke, Clemson, and Cornell on future hybrid tobaccos that mostly aren't tobacco at all and have almost no nicotine. Using iceberg lettuce, they are already able to pretty accurately replicate Virginias and Kentucky's. Good ones. From what I understand the issues facing them is any processing like forced drying, Cavendish, or flavoring just causes it to dissolve. In a few years, the whole issue of being out of stock due to leaf shortages will go away.

And when the geneticists get done modifying and patenting the human species then none of this will matter.

Or maybe the future humanoids will rebel at some point and raid the arctic seed vaults and regrow real tobacco.

Oct 7, 2016
see the timeline? "coming months".....
how many months?
There was a rather large shipment of SG a few months ago, which is now being distributed (Hansom, Stonehenge, etc.) and a small shipment of GH which is now being sold by retailers. No GH shipments to the US were planned until late Spring. I do not know the timetable for future SG shipments, but AFAIK, the paperwork for it is not an issue.

Reactions: BROBS

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
How do we know for sure that happened? Even if it did, It wouldn't take a conspiracy between the two to make it happen. It would be as simple as purposefully not getting the paperwork done, creating a supply gap.

You have a very furtive, and apparently paranoid, imagination. There's zero logic to support any kind of conspiracy theory. If G&H had a year's inventory sitting on the shelves across the country, there could be a shred of potential in your theory. As is, it's absurd.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Nearly any and every business out there would love to be selling heaps of whatever their product may be to everyone in the entire world. There are myriad nuances to any business, especially those crossing borders, that can stand in the way of this happening. I promise you there are dozens of damn good reasons for anyone's products to be less available than they, or their customers would like.

Without being intimately familiar with the inner workings of any business, any guess as to what the particular barriers may be in any instance is pretty much pure speculation, but one thing I'm fairly certain of is that they likely DO exist. They are often more complex than any public statement such as those listed above may indicate, as nobody wants their customers to get spooked and EXPECT unavailability, and thus write off their products, but I'm sure whatever issue is going on is probably legit.

I've not heard of many business who make it a priority to have their supply fail to meet the demand. When it does happen, there is usually a very valid reason preventing them from doing so.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
It's a bit more complicated than simply pulling out a bigger bucket and filling it. This has been a topic with regard to Germain's as well. Capacity is tied to the plant and pipeline, which is operating at capacity. Change the pipeline and the characteristics of the blends change as well. GH&Co has been going through some changes to increase capacity over the last couple of years. How that will affect the blends produced? Who knows.
Your assumptions regarding what I've dubbed the Psychopathy Of Scarcity are on point, but applied perhaps a bit too liberally.
Scarcity often gets conflated with quality. If an item is scarce, it must be so because there's so much demand, because it's really good. Your cat, with its walnut sized brain, thinks the same way about what the other cat is eating.
But not all pipe smokers have walnut sized brains and some can separate scarcity from quality. And for most of us, availability is availability, and nothing more. If people can't find a particular blend that they like, they will find another one to smoke.
Also, the idea that GH&Co is somehow conspiring with the FDA to raise more return for GH&Co is novel.

Absolutley. I never called it a conspiricy btw, that was the hoosier. I call it knowing your business and marketing your product for longevity and demand.

A lot of the "Psychopathy Of Scarcity" is just human nature, but its crazy nonetheless.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I was by no means saying that those moldy 30 lb stashes of GH blends some have lying around are a bad idea. Youre gunna need them. All I'm saying is that the face value of those blends would decrease if they were too available. You don't have to be a paranoid person to see that, and I'm certainly not saying I know where that line is. Remember its their business, that they know well.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I seem to recall that GH/SG forged a new US distribution agreement this past summer. I may be mistaken, but, I believe it was with Kretek. There does not appear to be anything misleading and/or nefarious about this announcement. Stuff like this happens in this biz.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I seem to recall that GH/SG forged a new US distribution agreement this past summer. I may be mistaken, but, I believe it was with Kretek. There does not appear to be anything misleading and/or nefarious about this announcement. Stuff like this happens in this biz.
As I mentioned earlier, this also affects Sam Gawith blends as well.

• Wow
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I want more GH&co blends available as well, but I also know that when things made with care and diligence on antique equipment, it becomes a very different product when cranked up to mass produced levels. Quality of the sourced tobaccos drop to meet the higher production, the attention to detail gets lost, and it would just lose that "special" quality.

Pipe tobacco is not a HUGE industry, and the actual amount of pipe smokers is not very big. You'd probably fair better selling strap-ons for turtle molesters... JK. But, not far off. None of the tobacco companies are very big, not even as large as chewing tobacco.

Right now, it is merely the threat of the FDA, and it's all going to the fastest with the most funds to buy. And, I can live with that. Sure, I miss the ropes especially, but as soon as insurance companies and employers start testing all members for nicotine (or whatever obligatory, unthinkable thing happens), all of those hoarders will be dumping their stashes back into the pool for redistribution. puffy

I've heard that the softshelled variety are more compliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.