PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
And it's more than just the fact they mandated a V6, they mandated a 90 degree V6, the most ordinary engine on the market.
In the turbo era of the 1980's we had an i4 and every variety of six cylinder engine under the sun, at least there was interest in the development of engine technologies, oppositely today we have nothing to say about engine design, F1 just eliminated the engine as a talking point and that's a tragedy.
I agree. Notice that these hybrids are not breaking any track records. I'm not a real big fan of the paddle shifters either. Make these guys actually drive the car. Race cars sould have three pedals.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I saw someone not wearing ear plugs at an NHRA event during the first top fuel run. They only did that once.
I had the good fortune of being up front for the Fram top fuel dragster start up in the pits. I was literally under the rear wing. No ear plugs or mask. The pipes were spitting nitro right on me and when they rapped that throttle, oh my god the sound. My internal organs were trying to escape. The sound goes trough you. I'll never forget that.
That sound will literally stop your heart.

I forgot, for qualifying, at that Indy F1 race, it was open seating, so we grabbed great seats at Turn 1. After about 30 minutes, my brother said to me "I think that is Kenny Bernstein sitting beside you". He had a baseball hit pulled tight over his hair and sunglasses. I asked him, and yep, he said he was just trying to discretely enjoy the F1 cars go from 180 mph down to 30 in a matter of 30 yards and make a hard right. We left him alone.

• Love
Reactions: jpmcwjr and FurCoat
Mar 1, 2014
I agree. Notice that these hybrids are not breaking any track records. I'm not a real big fan of the paddle shifters either. Make these guys actually drive the car. Race cars sould have three pedals.
Almost all current track records were set in 2020-2021, they had both power and downforce, but that's a bad formula for competition so now with reduced downforce the cars are slower but the field is much tighter (Except for any cars designed by Adrian Newey).

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
That sound will literally stop your heart.

I forgot, for qualifying, at that Indy F1 race, it was open seating, so we grabbed great seats at Turn 1. After about 30 minutes, my brother said to me "I think that is Kenny Bernstein sitting beside you". He had a baseball hit pulled tight over his hair and sunglasses. I asked him, and yep, he said he was just trying to discretely enjoy the F1 cars go from 180 mph down to 30 in a matter of 30 yards and make a hard right. We left him alone.
So cool. Now at the tme I didn't know how special this moment was but as a child my parents went to many races. We are a Porsche family so we went to many road courses when I was a kid. One time, when I three, we were at Road Atlanta to watch the 917's. We were standing next to Mark Donohue's Sunoco 917/30 and as he was climbing in, he stopped and ruffled the hair on my head. I don't remember it but my parents do. We were at the races with the Porsche club so much I ended up on the cover of Motor Sport magazine. We still have the car that took us to all those races. My dad bought it new in 1970 in Madrid. IMG_3573.jpg

Jun 9, 2018
England
Bit of a boring race tbh. Barring Max getting sick or injured, I can't see anyone stopping him taking his 3rd title. Adrian Newey has done the business yet again. The guy really is a genius.

Looks like Mercedes going back to the drawing board might be paying dividends. Hopefully that bodes well for next year and they can come out the gates with a competitive car.

Ferrari need to sort themselves out. Last time they won the drivers championship was with Kimi back in 2007😲. Plenty of talented drivers have passed through the doors at Maranello in the intervening years but they haven't been able to bring it all together. I wonder when they'll give up on this year and start pouring more resources into next years car?

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Bit of a boring race tbh. Barring Max getting sick or injured, I can't see anyone stopping him taking his 3rd title. Adrian Newey has done the business yet again. The guy really is a genius.

Looks like Mercedes going back to the drawing board might be paying dividends. Hopefully that bodes well for next year and they can come out the gates with a competitive car.

Ferrari need to sort themselves out. Last time they won the drivers championship was with Kimi back in 2007😲. Plenty of talented drivers have passed through the doors at Maranello in the intervening years but they haven't been able to bring it all together. I wonder when they'll give up on this year and start pouring more resources into next years car?
There was some good racing going on behind Max. I was hoping for a better showing from the Aston's. I like where their team is going.

Jun 9, 2018
England
There was some good racing going on behind Max. I was hoping for a better showing from the Aston's. I like where their team is going.
That's true but I always like to see a battle for the win and that didn't happen as Max and his Red Bull are in a different class at the moment. Hopefully someone can close the gap and make it interesting but it doesn't look likely.

Yes, Aston look like they mean business and are serious about challenging for the title in years to come. A Red Bull DNF could definitely see Aston winning a race this year. I'd love to see Fernando on the top step again.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and FurCoat

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Dull.
Briefly got excited when a driver reported rain. But it was an old sneeze on the inside of his helmet or something.

Just don't know what the answer is. I do know that the Citroen 2CV racing I saw recently was far more exciting.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden
Mar 1, 2014
Reminder LeMans is this weekend, including the Cadillac Hypercar running what might be the last naturally aspirated V8 in international motorsport.

Reactions: trudger

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
Just watched a replay of yesterday's race and it was more exciting than some of the recent ones. Glad to see Checho finally have a good weekend. The new McLaren is finally a little Racey. Toto Wolf seemed to sum up Mercedes' performance for everyone by telling Lewis (and the rest of us): "The car is bad, we know. Please drive it." 😲

Reactions: trudger

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Exciting race for sure with lots of action early on. Wish Max had a bad wheel lug on his last box tho. Checo has gotta fine tune his DRS pass zone. Enjoyed the sprint this time on a real race course

Reactions: jpmcwjr and mbmoehl
Jun 9, 2018
England
Just a heads up to tell you that qualifying for this weekend's Belgium Grand Prix is today at 4pm UK time.

Tomorrow is the mini qualifying for the sprint race then the sprint race itself.

That's if the race weekend goes ahead. Some of the drivers have been saying that if it's raining too heavily and driver visibility is bad then the FIA should cancel the race. Hopefully that doesn't happen as Spa is normally one of the best races of the year.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and trudger