PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
Just like last season, Ferrari are their own worst enemy, Carlos sounds so incredibly frustrated.

Bummer of a weekend for Perez, double lapped by the end as his race became a tire experiment for Verstappen.

Would have been a much more interesting race at the end if Alanso had just gone straight to inters, but good to see him a step higher on the podium.

Ocon did what he needed, good weekend for him.

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I think they should make every track wet. Makes things more interesting.
Surprised to see Ocon up there. Good for him.
Perez seemed very untidy today.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Any thoughts on Honda partnering with Aston Martin in 2026? Horner seemed a little irritated by that but of news.
Honda produced a great engine in their last season and they've got the pedigree and know how.

If Aston really want to challenge for titles then it's definitely the way to go.

Reactions: mbmoehl
Jun 9, 2018
England
I think they should make every track wet. Makes things more interesting.
Surprised to see Ocon up there. Good for him.
Perez seemed very untidy today.
Old F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone had the same idea about 10 years ago. Iirc he said they should use a sprinkler system to make every track wet.

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
I do agree, the engines suck. They are going to suck even more in 2026. More focus on electric.
Curious why you guys feel that way. Seems the acceleration would benefit from electric. I can see how having to ease pace to recharge for a push is undesirable. Is it reliability? Seems that will be less the case with fewer components in the next iteration. I'll never see an F1 race live, so the sound of V6 vs a V10 doesn't make much difference over the TV when it's mostly commentary. They did mention that today's cars are the largest and heaviest ever, so more electrification would only make that worse.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Reliability is quite a factor, look up how many hybrid F1 cars have gone up in flames without being in an accident and all the DNFs due to electrical issues. The sound is a huge factor, it's part of the alure of racing. It's a spectacle and the sound is part of it. I personally have a kick ass surround sound system. The V10s might as well have been in my living room. The sound of the down shifts into the corner and the car screaming out made F1 exciting. There is a reason electric car racing is not popular. When you are at the race the sounds and the smells are the experience. I will say that if they dumped the turbo, some of the sounds would be recaptured. Racing is not about sustainability and being green, it's a form of entertainment that relies on assaulting you senses. Just like a Ferrari V12 is a symphony of sounds, an air cooled Porsche 911 has a sound like no other car, cherry bombs on a muscle car, it's part of the experience. Yeah, it's all about the sound.

Mar 1, 2014
Curious why you guys feel that way. Seems the acceleration would benefit from electric. I can see how having to ease pace to recharge for a push is undesirable. Is it reliability? Seems that will be less the case with fewer components in the next iteration. I'll never see an F1 race live, so the sound of V6 vs a V10 doesn't make much difference over the TV when it's mostly commentary. They did mention that today's cars are the largest and heaviest ever, so more electrification would only make that worse.
F1 is supposed to be the height of automotive tech and they're obviously not doing that.
Adding electric to a V10 would be fine but once they mandated all F1 cars sound like vacuum cleaners that was the end of F1.

I still love to watch Max race but no-one in motorsport today is happy about using a V6.

Mar 1, 2014
And it's more than just the fact they mandated a V6, they mandated a 90 degree V6, the most ordinary engine on the market.
In the turbo era of the 1980's we had an i4 and every variety of six cylinder engine under the sun, at least there was interest in the development of engine technologies, oppositely today we have nothing to say about engine design, F1 just eliminated the engine as a talking point and that's a tragedy.

Reactions: FurCoat and jpmcwjr

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We saw the V-10's run at the first F1 race at Indy. The sound reverberating off the metal roof of the main straight grandstands was incredible. And painful. We had ear plugs. On race day, a group of Indy car fans sat beside us and laughed as put in ear plugs. They asked if that was really necessary, they've been to the 500 many times. We said, when these cars go past 17,000 rpms, you'll get your answer. By lap two, they were heading to souvenir stand for ear plugs

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
We saw the V-10's run at the first F1 race at Indy. The sound reverberating off the metal roof of the main straight grandstands was incredible. And painful. We had ear plugs. On race day, a group of Indy car fans sat beside us and laughed as put in ear plugs. They asked if that was really necessary, they've been to the 500 many times. We said, when these cars go past 17,000 rpms, you'll get your answer. By lap two, they were heading to souvenir stand for ear plugs
I saw someone not wearing ear plugs at an NHRA event during the first top fuel run. They only did that once.
I had the good fortune of being up front for the Fram top fuel dragster start up in the pits. I was literally under the rear wing. No ear plugs or mask. The pipes were spitting nitro right on me and when they rapped that throttle, oh my god the sound. My internal organs were trying to escape. The sound goes trough you. I'll never forget that.

Reactions: JOHN72