PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A classic car in the parade lap puked out it’s engine oil on the track.

Viva Las Vegas
did you have a ticket?

Watching on TV, it felt like a Covid-era race with no spectators at times.

Last second heroics by Leclerc, Perez losing a spot in a 2nd consecutive race.

A fairly entertaining race by F1 standards, better then my expectations.

Those fences, felt like they were racing in a post-apocalyptic movie. It appeared many spectator stands had to view thru those fences. Weird.

bobomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2023
Colombia
roberthunt.com
I thought overall a pretty good race, honestly I was surprised. On the other hand, I read an article quoting one of the hotel managers who didn't want to be named and he stated they had the worse occupancy rates since covid. F1 overestimated people would pay ridiculous prices and the rooms went unfilled. They waited too long to discount them, so people stayed away.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I thought overall a pretty good race, honestly I was surprised. On the other hand, I read an article quoting one of the hotel managers who didn't want to be named and he stated they had the worse occupancy rates since covid. F1 overestimated people would pay ridiculous prices and the rooms went unfilled. They waited too long to discount them, so people stayed away.

That’s exactly what happened. Every one wanted a giant cash grab. If you had a business overlooking the race they extorted you or boarded you up.

I think next year the expectations will be more realistic.

I had an opportunity to go, was given tickets, but after getting stuck in traffic for months, I honestly couldn’t bring myself to fighting it for something I could watch on TV.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 9, 2018
England
I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. Plenty of overtaking and racing all up and down the field.

I thought it'd look spectacular on camera but be boring on the track, but the opposite was true. Hopefully they can tinker with it a bit and make it even better.

Reactions: ashdigger

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
That latter seems outrageous! Were there special laws passed allowing that?

No laws. They obscured pedestrian views on the walkways and people that pulled the plastic film were cited for vandalism.

Vegas is an odd place on its best day, but this was a bridge too far for a lot of people.

If you worked in the “island” inside the track, they didn’t figure out how to get you to work until a week out.

The list goes on, but hopefully lessons were learned and Sin City sells out next year since tickets for 2024 went on sell yesterday, before the official 2023 race was over.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR

When it originally was announced prices for everything were insane. I have a friend that paid $9k for a packaged deal with a hotel. Most “common folk” won’t pony up for that.

I personally would pay $200 for a ticket, but not much more than that. I’ve read that three day passes in Europe are about $300 total.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I personally would pay $200 for a ticket, but not much more than that. I’ve read that three day passes in Europe are about $300 total.
I love Vegas and I was constanly refreshing my browser all week waiting for a $200 ticket. The lowest I saw was six something on Thursday and they climbed back to eight something after that. I had a couch in a condo with a fan zone view and credentials to enter the island but my buddy reported it was packed and there was nothing to do or see without a ticket so I passed on the 6 hour drive.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I thought I saw a pedestrian bridge, which appeared to be jammed by spectators. Guess it was over built for simple traffic, and a good thing, too.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I thought I saw a pedestrian bridge, which appeared to be jammed by spectators. Guess it was over built for simple traffic, and a good thing, too.

All of the pedestrian bridges are the ones that existed prior to the F1.

What happened was they didn’t want free views of the race from the bridges that spanned the roads so they put up a white film. Well, people tore down the film.

So they reinstalled the white film, put up barriers of steel mesh and used flood lights to keep anyone on the bridges from watching race for free.

Here’s a view of the same bridge F1 v Normal

Attachments

• IMG_6387.jpeg
    IMG_6387.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6389.jpeg
    IMG_6389.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 3

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Pretty harsh. What I (thought) I saw was an overhead shot of the walkway showing it was wall to wall jammed- lots of dead weight!
No idea if there were any "viewers" in that mass.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Pretty harsh. What I (thought) I saw was an overhead shot of the walkway showing it was wall to wall jammed- lots of dead weight!
No idea if there were any "viewers" in that mass.
I saw that too but all gods children had to know every bridge would have signage covering every surface like every other race. Hoping to ink a deal for a LVIPS sector for next year.

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
The race was great. I’m bummed I got wrapped up in the hyperbole leading up to it. The track would have been so much better with support races but that seems unlikely due to civic priorities.

Reactions: mbmoehl

woodrow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2018
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I’ve found this thread. I don’t think I missed one race this year. Recorded a few to watch over Jan and Feb. If it was a little warmer I think Vegas would’ve even been better. Nice to see a competitive race. I’m a Lewis and Mercedes fan. Personally for me, I have difficulty cheering for Red Bull. I like Perez, but I have a battle in my mind for Max.
Favorite track is Silverstone. Least fav is Monaco; always decided in quali. Nice to see all the supporters of F1.
The new season of Netflix should be awesome!

Reactions: mbmoehl and jpmcwjr