PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Now there is an issue with manhole covers.
Manhole covers were an issue at the Baltimore Indy GP, the cars sucked them up and out of place. There was also a railroad track (light rail) they put a temp cover over, which launched the cars about 3' in the air during qualifying. in the race, that issue created a multi-car wreck on Lap 1, that took 90 minutes to sort out. Everyone in Baltimore lost interest by the time the race started. Then, for the 2nd event, a year later, nearly the same thing happened. The city never got paid for either race, so that was the end of that.
I do have this memory, giving these young ladies fashion advice.

Note what I'm wearing (if you can tear your eyes away from bare skin:
F1 Indy hat - what, that race lasted three years? (I think the tire debacle killed that event)
Washington DC Grand Prix shirt - a one and done event around the old RFK (Redskins) Stadium.
Am I a race killer?
My wife sees this photo pop up occasionally on Facebook. I always say "look where my eyes are".

1700224321983.jpeg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Oh yes. There you are in the middle. I didn't notice at first.
Occasionally, my wife gives me grief, I sometimes reply "don't for get about my friends the Momo girls".
Last week, this popped up and I sent it to her with "I invited my Momo girls over for Thanksgiving dinner, don't forget they love breast meat, I do as well".

Sometimes she laughs.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
Hmm.

Just looking at the qualifying highlights.
Las Vegas looks a bit like this.
Railings in the dark. They could be anywhere.
Bit dull really.

View attachment 262439
Exactly what I was thinking. I saw a comment a few pages back saying Vegas doesn't need F1. I was thinking quite the reverse. Flashing past the strip under neon lights does have an element of cool when filmed by drone, but the whole thing looks sterile and artificial. Give me F1 cars blasting through a rain splattered Eau Rouge, or a partisan Silverstone/Zandvoort crowd, or a pyrotechnic fueled Tifosi any day over this shite.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Hmm.

Just looking at the qualifying highlights.
Las Vegas looks a bit like this.
Railings in the dark. They could be anywhere.
Bit dull really.

View attachment 262439
I thought exactly the same thing. For some dumb reason i'd imagined that you'd be watching a sea of neon, with the cars roaring through. I didn't factor in the fencing and the low camera angles that they have to use to capture the action. Can't see it being any different for the race. They were saying on the telly that as there's long straights there could be plenty of overtaking. I hope they're right.

I'm not a fan of any of these street circuits. I give Monaco a pass because of its history and I remember all the great drivers racing it in the 80's & 90's. Let's be honest though, the only real excitement during the race is seeing who puts it in the wall. All my favourite tracks are purpose built. Monza, Silverstone, Spa, Interlargos. They'd be at the top of my list.

Street circuits are here to stay, unfortunately. I've read that they've blown 700 million getting the Las Vegas race to the starting grid. If that number is even half accurate then the race isn't going away anytime soon.

Maybe I'll be surprised and the race will be great🤷🏻‍♂️.