PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
Schumacher and Senna had that same "win at all costs" mentality. Both of them overstepped the mark on occasion and they're my top 2 drivers of all time. I like drivers with that hard edge and Max definitely has that, Its been bred into him.
I read that his dad Jos Verstappen once made a young Max walk home from the karting track because he lost a race that Jos thought he should've won 😲.
Damn. I've heard the Prost-Senna rivalry was pretty savage, especially when they were teammates. Then I've heard of drivers coming to literal fisticuffs. Just a different mentality today and what is acceptable. With Max it just feels childish. I get the desire to win, but he had a great drive and when this is the reaction, just seems unfounded. Anyways I'll stop harping on him. I also admit a bias as I'm a fan of Checo, think he is underrated and is stepping it up this season. Not as good as Max, but at least he is giving him a run for his money right now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230320-113917-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20230320-113917-01.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 4
Jun 9, 2018
England
Damn. I've heard the Prost-Senna rivalry was pretty savage, especially when they were teammates. Then I've heard of drivers coming to literal fisticuffs. Just a different mentality today and what is acceptable. With Max it just feels childish. I get the desire to win, but he had a great drive and when this is the reaction, just seems unfounded. Anyways I'll stop harping on him. I also admit a bias as I'm a fan of Checo, think he is underrated and is stepping it up this season. Not as good as Max, but at least he is giving him a run for his money right now.
The tribute that Top Gear aired for what would've been Senna's 50th birthday tells you all you need to know. All the drivers past and present rate him as the greatest of all time. Schumacher, Alonso, Hamilton, Hakkinen and all the rest. They all rate him No.1
If anyone would know it'd be those guys.

There's a great documentary about Senna that was released about 10 years ago. It's called 'Senna' and covers his epic rivalry with Prost at McLaren. Well worth a watch.

Reactions: mbmoehl
Jun 9, 2018
England
About an hour from where I live in the sleepy town of Duns in the rural Scottish Borders is a teriffic museum to the man regarded as Senna's hero. The Jim Clark museum is a small, but is a treasure trove cars, equipment and trophys. Anyone interested in F1 would be overwhelmed at the amount of history squeezed into such a small space.
View attachment 211203
View attachment 211206
Clark was well before my time (started watching in the 1980's) but I have read about him. Those guys really did take their lives in their hands every time they got into the cockpit. Driver safety wasn't even an afterthought.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jun 9, 2018
England
Just a heads up that qualifying for this weekend's Azerbaijan Grand Prix is taking place on Friday. There's a sprint race this weekend but the rules have changed.

Qualifying on Friday will now decide the final grid for the main race on Sunday. The sprint race on Saturday will now have it's own dedicated mini qualifying that'll take place earlier in the day. The points for the sprint race are the same as last year - 8pts for first, 7 pts for second, all the way down to 1pt for eighth. They've also doubled the number of race weekends with sprint races from 3 to 6.

The idea behind the change is to encourage more risk taking during the sprint race as the result of that now no longer decides the grid lineup of the main race on Sunday

Reactions: trudger

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't follow Formula I closely, but I think I read in a car mag that Ford is committed to EV Formula I, which I know has not won full respect among the long-time fans.

But Ford is following the adage, "Race on Sunday, sell on Monday," and may have their eye on the target. You don't get much of the glorious noise with EV racing, but the engineers wring some staggering horse power out of those big motors, not to mention acceleration.

With street vehicles, I worry about the average Jane and Joe plopping behind the wheel of a 750 hp commuter car that looks like a Prius. It used to be that when they sold you an internal combustion car with that kind of horse, they'd make you take a special class so you didn't kill yourself. No one's talking about this too much ... yet.

Reactions: FurCoat

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
I don't follow Formula I closely, but I think I read in a car mag that Ford is committed to EV Formula I, which I know has not won full respect among the long-time fans.

But Ford is following the adage, "Race on Sunday, sell on Monday," and may have their eye on the target. You don't get much of the glorious noise with EV racing, but the engineers wring some staggering horse power out of those big motors, not to mention acceleration.

With street vehicles, I worry about the average Jane and Joe plopping behind the wheel of a 750 hp commuter car that looks like a Prius. It used to be that when they sold you an internal combustion car with that kind of horse, they'd make you take a special class so you didn't kill yourself. No one's talking about this too much ... yet.
Ford is partnering with Red Bull Powertrains starting in the 2026 F1 season when the next round of rule changes take place. The powertrains are hybrid systems and the 2026 rules will lean harder on the hybrid system but still use V6 ICE power units. There is a Formula E series that is all electric, but that is completely separate from Formula 1 and I haven't heard about Ford entering that series, but I also don't follow Formula E.

Reactions: trudger

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina

The problem is a pit stop requires the driver switching cars and from what I understand, Ford is developing an F1 motor which is a hybrid. Basically a really fast Prius. Funny, a full throttle take off twice in a row in a Tesla will leave you on the side of the road, but you'll be back on your way in as little as 8 hours after you get that 6000 pound beast to a charging station. The battery alone weighs more than a Civic. The one thing that is being talked about is how deadly EVs are in an accident because of its mass and if you survive that, you're likely to burn to death in a blaze of lithium glory. EV sales a plumeting as consumers realize it's short comings. Enter the government. If people won't buy EVs on their own, they'll regulate the market to force consumers into purchasing a vehicle they obviously don't want. Ever notice no one is bragging how much less the added cost on their electric bill is in relation to what they would have normally spent on gasoline? The good news is Toyota and Honda have announced that they will be producing the ICM for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 9, 2018
England
Looking forward to the Miami Grand Prix this weekend. Hopefully it'll be a bit more exciting than the snoozefest in Azerbaijan😴.

I like what they've done with the new sprint race format. I'd honestly rather not have sprint races but if they must then I prefer that it's kept totally separate with its own qualifying session.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Looking forward to the Miami Grand Prix this weekend. Hopefully it'll be a bit more exciting than the snoozefest in Azerbaijan😴.

I like what they've done with the new sprint race format. I'd honestly rather not have sprint races but if they must then I prefer that it's kept totally separate with its own qualifying session.
Sadly, not likely. These street circuits are awful. I remember Miami being a mess last year.

then add, that to the flooding of the track just several weeks ago, doesn't bode well for a competitive race.

Maybe the US driver, Logan Sargeant will have a shot at victory!

Jun 9, 2018
England
Sadly, not likely. These street circuits are awful. I remember Miami being a mess last year.

then add, that to the flooding of the track just several weeks ago, doesn't bode well for a competitive race.

Maybe the US driver, Logan Sargeant will have a shot at victory!
Yeah, I agree. The fact that they were considering dropping Spa when there's so many boring tracks on the calendar is ridiculous.

The new regs were supposed to make overtaking easier but I haven't seen much of an improvement.

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Just been to my local circuit to watch truck racing, which was good.
But there were also Citroen 2CV's racing. They were fantastic. There were cars side by side overtaking at any given moment. There seemed to be a new leader every other lap.
So much more exciting than F1. You don't need speed to be exciting.
IMG_20230520_140318.jpg

Jun 9, 2018
England
Qualifying should be interesting
The Ferraris looked right on the pace in free practice. They always seem to do a lot better in qualifying than the actual race. Qualifying is very important in Monaco as there aren't many overtaking points so Ferrari could be in with a shout of breaking Red Bull's dominance.

Sainz topped free practice 1 but Max lead free practice 2. It should be a good battle for pole.

It'll also be interesting to see how the heavily revised Mercedes do. Monaco might not tell us that much because of the way the cars are set up but maybe we'll see some improvement. Next week in Spain should reveal if they've made any major jumps in performance.