PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
Alonso / Aston Martin are all the buzz since testing began. He just topped FP3 as well. We might have top 4 teams instead of top 3. I'd say AM is looking stronger then Merc. Glad to see Perez has been right there with Verstapen. It will certainly be an interesting quali is just a couple of hours. One crazy fact shared at the end of FP3 is if Alonso takes pole, it will be his first season opener pole since Hamilton's rookie season.

• Love
Reactions: trudger

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
Has anyone seen the latest Drive to Survive? My thought is to skip it. I watched all the races and closely followed actual F1 last year as well as the year before. When i watched the DtS recap of the 2021 season I realized watching actual racing was much more thrilling. Just wondering if it's worth it or if it's just meant to bring new people into the sport like the first couple of season's did for me.

Jun 9, 2018
England
As expected, Red Bull have the edge over Ferrari but I would've like to have seen what Charles could've done on his final run. Should be an interesting run down to the first corner.

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
As expected, Red Bull have the edge over Ferrari but I would've like to have seen what Charles could've done on his final run. Should be an interesting run down to the first corner.
Charles'strategy to not due another run in lieu of saving a fresh set of softs for the race is one I haven't seen before from a non pole sitter.

The ebb and flow of dominant teams is fascinating. I would have believed that all the talk around Aston Martin's new factory and 5 year plan was all hype, but they're certainly making waves. It will be cool to watch over the next couple of season's. Is Merc going the way of Ferrari or worse the way of McLaren or Williams? I'd love to see Hamilton get that 8th title, but it looks to be getting more difficult.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 9, 2018
England
Charles'strategy to not due another run in lieu of saving a fresh set of softs for the race is one I haven't seen before from a non pole sitter.

The ebb and flow of dominant teams is fascinating. I would have believed that all the talk around Aston Martin's new factory and 5 year plan was all hype, but they're certainly making waves. It will be cool to watch over the next couple of season's. Is Merc going the way of Ferrari or worse the way of McLaren or Williams? I'd love to see Hamilton get that 8th title, but it looks to be getting more difficult.
From what I can gather, Ferrari thought that whatever they did they wouldn't have the beating of Red Bull in qualifying so they thought it was better to not bother with a final run and save an extra set of tyres for the race. If that's true then it's a shame because we were robbed of a possibly exciting final couple of minutes.
Ferrari have all the data so it was probably the right call but it's still a shame.

It was good to see Alonso back nearer the front and I still think that if he had a really competitive car he could challenge for the title. If Max continues with the form he showed through the vast majority of last season then he's gonna be tough to stop.

Reactions: trudger

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Has anyone seen the latest Drive to Survive? My thought is to skip it. I watched all the races and closely followed actual F1 last year as well as the year before. When i watched the DtS recap of the 2021 season I realized watching actual racing was much more thrilling. Just wondering if it's worth it or if it's just meant to bring new people into the sport like the first couple of season's did for me.
I was excited to see our local guy Otmar given time, he is straight up a real good guy and they didn’t do him wrong in episodes Ive seen.

Reactions: mbmoehl

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I enjoyed the race. I was an Alonso fan until he retired and then went Max, though I pull for Perez to best him now that he is on the team. I will say that I don't care to see anyone run away with the season, which is why I pulled for Max to knock Mercedes off their pedestal. I love seeing AM up front and I hope as the season progresses Alonso makes it a close race for the championship.
Gasley drove a great race and Williams showed up and got points.

Mar 1, 2014
Wow. Wonder if Vettle is regretting his retirement now.
If Aston Martin weren't being run as a family hobby, having both Vettel and Alonso in this car would give them a strong chance at second place in the constructor's championship.

No matter how much I love Vettel I do feel Alonso is a better fit for this car though, Alonso is killer instinct, Vettel is more of a fine instrument.
Aston Martin will spend the rest of the season trading blows with Ferrari and and Mercedes, and Fernando will revel in it.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Looking forward to the qualifying later today. I hope Ferrari can make a contest of it.

Anyone seen the scuttlebutt about Hamilton moving to Ferrari with Leclerc going the other way? Can't see it myself. All drivers want to race for Ferrari and I know i've read in the past that Hamilton has said this but i'm pretty certain he'll sign a new contract with Mercedes.

Reactions: FurCoat

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
Ferrari are on the struggle bus this weekend. I haven't heard the rumors of the Hamilton/Lecler switch, but that sounds highly unlikely. Sounds like Merc are going to bring big changes to the car this year, abandoning the current concept. Must be humbling to be bested by a team your supplying PU's to.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Ferrari are on the struggle bus this weekend. I haven't heard the rumors of the Hamilton/Lecler switch, but that sounds highly unlikely. Sounds like Merc are going to bring big changes to the car this year, abandoning the current concept. Must be humbling to be bested by a team your supplying PU's to.
I've read about it in a few different places.

Simon Lazenby claims Lewis Hamilton would leave Mercedes for Ferrari - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-11846859/Simon-Lazenby-claims-Lewis-Hamilton-leave-Mercedes-Ferrari.html

I don't think for one moment it'll happen, tho.

Interesting qualifying and the race looks set up well, what with both Max and Leclerc being so far back. Should be exciting watching them make their way through the pack.

Reactions: trudger and mbmoehl
Jun 9, 2018
England
Bit of a boring race😒. I can't see anyone stopping Max winning his 3rd championship. Unless somebody else makes a big leap forward performance wise, it looks like he's nailed on for the title.

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Agree. Boring.
Red Bull dominating.
FIA finding new ways to spoil the races.
Don't know why I bother watching it sometimes.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jun 9, 2018
England
Agree. Boring.
Red Bull dominating.
FIA finding new ways to spoil the races.
Don't know why I bother watching it sometimes.
Yeah, I was really hoping that Ferrari would take it to Red Bull this year but that isn't looking likely at the moment. Things can change quickly in Formula 1, tho.
A couple of Max DNFs and a decent upgrade from Ferrari and things could look different. I love Max and I want to see him win a 3rd championship but I want to see him fight for it. Like he did against Lewis in 2021.
Sergio Perez is a good driver with the same machinery but he's got no chance of beating Max over a season. Some drivers are just that much better. Lewis, Senna, Schumacher all have/had that extra something that 99% of the other drivers don't have. I'd add Max to that list of exceptional drivers.

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
Yeah, I was really hoping that Ferrari would take it to Red Bull this year but that isn't looking likely at the moment. Things can change quickly in Formula 1, tho.
A couple of Max DNFs and a decent upgrade from Ferrari and things could look different. I love Max and I want to see him win a 3rd championship but I want to see him fight for it. Like he did against Lewis in 2021.
Sergio Perez is a good driver with the same machinery but he's got no chance of beating Max over a season. Some drivers are just that much better. Lewis, Senna, Schumacher all have/had that extra something that 99% of the other drivers don't have. I'd add Max to that list of exceptional drivers.
I agree with this, though I'm not a fan of Max. Amazing driver and agree that he will be considered one of the greats, but he couldn't even congratulate Checo and was sulking afterwards. I don't like seeing that kind of sportsmanship.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I agree with this, though I'm not a fan of Max. Amazing driver and agree that he will be considered one of the greats, but he couldn't even congratulate Checo and was sulking afterwards. I don't like seeing that kind of sportsmanship.
Schumacher and Senna had that same "win at all costs" mentality. Both of them overstepped the mark on occasion and they're my top 2 drivers of all time. I like drivers with that hard edge and Max definitely has that, Its been bred into him.
I read that his dad Jos Verstappen once made a young Max walk home from the karting track because he lost a race that Jos thought he should've won 😲.

Reactions: mbmoehl