PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
If you have tickets for the weekend it’s awesome. If your Carlos or Max it is also awesome but not so for KMag. An equalizer of yesterdays weather which I do not like. This format really worked for the last configuration of the cars but with the ability of the cars to race in closer proximity it’s a waste.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just watched the sprint race and I wondered what people's thoughts are on the format? To be honest i'd rather see regular qualifying on a Saturday.

I think I am in that camp as well. I am relatively new to F-1, and in this case it at least allowed the drivers to experience a crowded field with decent weather.
But the practice runs were pretty crap in my view, mostly due to wet weather.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I was glad to see Max close the gap at the top. A DNF from Leclerc and we've got a close championship. Red Bull seem to have sorted out their reliability issues which is good news.
I was sad for the tifosi, though.

Reactions: trudger
Jun 9, 2018
England
I miss the 1980's and 1990's. The cars were so much simpler and there were so many legends racing at that time.
Nelson Piquet, Nigel Mansell, Alain Prost, Damon Hill, Mika Hakkinen and the two greatest of all time; Michael Schumacher and Ayrton Senna.

I still love Formula One but I do miss the old days. I'm sure there's some rose tinted glasses going on but it was definitely better back in the day.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I miss the 1980's and 1990's. The cars were so much simpler and there were so many legends racing at that time.
Nelson Piquet, Nigel Mansell, Alain Prost, Damon Hill, Mika Hakkinen and the two greatest of all time; Michael Schumacher and Ayrton Senna.

I still love Formula One but I do miss the old days. I'm sure there's some rose tinted glasses going on but it was definitely better back in the day.
I agree. I'd settle for bringing back the V10's. I miss hearing them down shift into the corners then accelerate out. It was music, it sang to my soul.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I agree. I'd settle for bringing back the V10's. I miss hearing them down shift into the corners then accelerate out. It was music, it sang to my soul.
Google...Formula 1 Ferrari Shell Commercial. Put on some headphones and crank it wide open. You are welcome.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I much prefer the days when Moss, Stewart and the others were manhandling the cars, thinking laps ahead strategically, sometimes driving a car with serious problems and only their wits to contain it and, if no breakdowns, drove for first not simply points. The Championship was the goal. Manufacturers were pretty much unfettered, power and handling the goal. I do miss that kind of racing. I was born a bit late for the Fangio days.

I still watch but, consider the cars over-regulated. And, DRS? Why? I'm not being facious but, some of these rules, actually many of them, take the driver's abilities and subordinate them to what purpose? To minimize differences in driver skill levels, competitiveness, what? Pshaw I say! Pshaw! puffy

Pazzerpipe

Might Stick Around
Mar 26, 2022
Liverpool, UK
I much prefer the days when Moss, Stewart and the others were manhandling the cars, thinking laps ahead strategically, sometimes driving a car with serious problems and only their wits to contain it and, if no breakdowns, drove for first not simply points. The Championship was the goal. Manufacturers were pretty much unfettered, power and handling the goal. I do miss that kind of racing. I was born a bit late for the Fangio days.

I still watch but, consider the cars over-regulated. And, DRS? Why? I'm not being facious but, some of these rules, actually many of them, take the driver's abilities and subordinate them to what purpose? To minimize differences in driver skill levels, competitiveness, what? Pshaw I say! Pshaw! puffy
All driver aids should be banned. Completely agree it should be down to the man behind the wheel and his engine.